E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Regular gas put into car. Dealer quoting 14k to fix?? O

06-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Regular gas put into car. Dealer quoting 14k to fix?? O

So my sister put 87 regular gas into the d. The gas handle was green but she used it with the nozzle adapter (cause the gas nozzle doesn't fit). Whole time she thought it was diesel cause of the green handle but this station had green handles for regular gas. She put in about 1/2 a tank and drove about a mile before the car started choking and she pulled over. Car was towed to the dealer.

Now the crazy thing is that the dealer said it's going to cost $14,000 to fix! I really don't know much about these cars and the prices of parts but I sure don't see it summing up to 14k. Anyone else have some input on this? Insurance is covering it but I'm still very curious about how the dealer came to that price.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Turns out the SA didn't even have a parts list for the job to be done and said the 14k was only an estimate. Now I really hope it isn't 14k. If they do end up quoting me 14k do y'all think its worth even mentioning about replacing the engine to avoid causing more problems trying the initial problem. They keep telling me it's so expensive because of all the parts and labor to change/remove those parts.

Anyways, my insurance is having someone head to the dealer to make sure the claim is valid and then they operation should begin from there.

Update:

My insurance finally got back to me about my claim but the news isnt good. They're claiming it as totaled car because they're worried the fix may include an engine replacement. They came up with a 27,500 for the totaled car which I could use to fix the car under a salvage title. I'm really disappointed but I hope to find another d with the money they're giving me.

P.s
Anyone have advice on what things I should remove from the car to possible part out? Does anyone know if I can take out the Logic 7 system and transfer it to another e90?

Last edited by fongboy; 06-17-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

$14K you mind as well trade that thing in and get a new car. Fucking A, for that money they better put in a new tranny, engine, turbos; basically replace all the parts in the damn car. Damn take a pic of your dealer and post it up so that we can see what a wallet rapist really looks like.. BMW dealers today are pretty much like doctors and hospitals, they just make the prices up as they go
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I would ask the dealer for the parts and labor in question.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
So my sister put 87 regular gas into the d. The gas handle was green but she used it with the nozzle adapter (cause the gas nozzle doesn't fit). Whole time she thought it was diesel cause of the green handle but this station had green handles for regular gas. She put in about 1/2 a tank and drove about a mile before the car started choking and she pulled over. Car was towed to the dealer.

Now the crazy thing is that the dealer said it's going to cost $14,000 to fix! I really don't know much about these cars and the prices of parts but I sure don't see it summing up to 14k. Anyone else have some input on this? Insurance is covering it but I'm still very curious about how the dealer came to that price.

Thanks!
did sister get a beating?
      06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

drain the tank, clean the fuel system and go. 14k is them just trying to find a sucker to pay for labor at $125/hr. Diesel fuel is denser than gasoline and stays at the bottom of the fuel tank, although i'm sure some gasoline was possibly ingested through the fuel system.

Get a second opinion, or talk to an indy.

this happened to a buddy of mine in his audi q7 diesel. the gas station put gasoline instead of diesel in the underground tank. in the end it cost 4k to repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

14K?? that is crazy, ask for the list of parts and labor and see if they can justify the cost. Might as well buy new engine and have them replace it and I am sure it will be cheaper lol.
Next time before you lend the car again remove the nozzle adapter from the car and might be a good idea to fill up before they take it
ouch!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
did sister get a beating?
Don't think the poor girl needs a beating but does need a slap in the ol' noggin.

But 14k?! What a joke. Keep entertaining me stealerships. Please.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
ssbourbon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d, sapphire black

Something just doesn't seem right about that. I have a friend who's wife put gas in their VW TDI...it stalled out as well. They drained the tank and fuel lines put diesel in, bled the lines and it was OK. Now I think there could be a chance of some scoring of the engine though...still seems excessive.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

My father works part time at our local dealer. A retired dealer exchange driver inadvertently put gas in a diesel x5. It was deemed a loss and sent to auction. Also dealer salesman shared a prior story of a wife doing the same thing to the husbands 335d and insurance paid over $15 grand to fix.
      06-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

The fact is that no one who thinks $14k is too much money has any idea what is wrong with the car. Maybe it is too high. Or maybe the car ate the fuel pump, injectors and destroyed the head.

Check with your insurance company. I'm aware of other events like this where the insuror stepped up.

-Michael
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Ugh. Your sister likely radically shortened the life, if not destroyed, the high pressure fuel pump and every injector, and you'd need to replace all the fuel lines, filter, and tank due to the small metal particles that have flooded and contaminated the entire fuel system. The amount of labor hrs would be big, as well as the expensive system equipment. Not a good scenario.

The VW TDI's have an open NHTSA investigation due to their high pressure fuel pumps failing, even when fueled with diesel from diesel pumps, that cause immediate engine stalling/failure. The normal course to fix those is replacement of tank, lines, injectors, fuel pumps .... Not a good scenario.
      06-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
this happened to a buddy of mine in his audi q7 diesel. the gas station put gasoline instead of diesel in the underground tank. in the end it cost 4k to repair.
Damn. Did the gas station pay for it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking 14k is a bit crazy. I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow to thoroughly go through all the parts involved and will update you guys.
      06-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I am sorry you lost your sister in a tragic accident this week.

Yes, I can see the dealer is in the right ball park figure. I got quoted $5000 for CBU cleanup.

Fuel pump and injectors would have to be replaced, no doubt about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
And BMW wants people to lease a Diesel, like I said the first time a woman drives a leased diesel it's getting gas in it, call me a chauvinist if you want...
      06-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Damn. Did the gas station pay for it?
My pessimistic guess would be no. But it would be right for them to have cover the costs.

OP It's a shame, mistakes do happen, I am always afraid of something like this happening to me and I usually double check it diesel before the nozzle goes in the tank. I bet she feels bad about it to!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
My pessimistic guess would be no. But it would be right for them to have cover the costs.

OP It's a shame, mistakes do happen, I am always afraid of something like this happening to me and I usually double check it diesel before the nozzle goes in the tank. I bet she feels bad about it to!

I have triple checked before to make sure, and then the whole time im fueling up im worried im using the wrong one...paranoid...
      06-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #18
Orygun
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

What TDIWyse said is true for the 2009+ VW TDIs. Not so much for the older ones though. I had a 2005 Jetta TDI a friend borrowed and filled with gas, then he drove it till it stalled; about a mile. I thought it would need a new engine as that's what I was told would happen if gas was put in my f350 powerstroke, but the dealer just drained the tank, flushed the lines, replaced the fuel filter and it was good to go.

Go look at the MKV and MKVI VW TDI forums. Puttimg gas in the 2009+ diesels is VERY expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Ugh. Your sister likely radically shortened the life, if not destroyed, the high pressure fuel pump and every injector, and you'd need to replace all the fuel lines, filter, and tank due to the small metal particles that have flooded and contaminated the entire fuel system. The amount of labor hrs would be big, as well as the expensive system equipment. Not a good scenario.

The VW TDI's have an open NHTSA investigation due to their high pressure fuel pumps failing, even when fueled with diesel from diesel pumps, that cause immediate engine stalling/failure. The normal course to fix those is replacement of tank, lines, injectors, fuel pumps .... Not a good scenario.
Yup my bro in law has had that fix. TWICE.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #20
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
The fact is that no one who thinks $14k is too much money has any idea what is wrong with the car. Maybe it is too high. Or maybe the car ate the fuel pump, injectors and destroyed the head.

Check with your insurance company. I'm aware of other events like this where the insuror stepped up.

-Michael
you are correct, there is a possibility of many things gone bad in the engine but 14k is little high, replacing the entire engine would be cheeper and more cost effective, but most dealers would prefer fixing the original engine as they will make more money on the labour taking the engine a part and making sure nothing is twisted, bended etc.
Just recently I had some work done on my engine, started with CBU then some sensors then injectors and some more, by the time they were done the bill came to 14k as well, mind you they did plenty of investigation as they had no clue what is going on at some time so labour was the most expensive, but still, at the end they did admit that replacing the entire unit would be way more cost effective. So having a quote of 14k in repairs might as well just get the new engine and enjoy the filling of new power
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
ssbourbon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d, sapphire black

I have to apologize for my statement earlier...I was thinking about a 2000 VW TDI without the high pressure system. I honestly never looked at the boards for the 2009+ models because it didn't apply to me. Even with that said, the 14K still seems excessive.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #22
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

uh have your SISTER pay the bill!!! if the insurance doesnt
Appreciate 0