E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Curb-view side mirror adjustment in reverse - stopped working

06-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
VPRocYP
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra

Curb-view side mirror adjustment in reverse - stopped working

Hi all:

About mid-last week I realized my passenger mirror stopped adjusting downward while in reverse for the "curb-view." I checked my mirror adjustment toggle and even switched it back and forth a few times trying both sides; I know it is supposed to be on the driver's side to function. The mirror motor DOES fully function in manual mode - it will move in all directions without an issue.

After searching, I conducted Wilsjay's motor pin cleaning, to no avail.

I realize I could set my Memory 2 position for the mirror to adjust downward, but I'd really like this function to work properly so I don't have to add an extra step into my parallel parking process while in the city. I'm thinking there might be a sensor when the transmission is placed in reverse that could be out?

Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
If the selector switch is on the left and the mirror works normally otherwise its a tough one. Maybe try putting it in reverse and push on the bottom of the mirror to see if the motor is even trying to go down, but my guess would be no since it works in the full range of adjustment. Sounds like a problem you may just have to live with, having someone fix it would most likely be not worth the cost. But you should at least call a dealer maybe its something they have seen before.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Houston 328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sport

this same thing happened to me a few days ago. i played with the dial to move the mirror up and down a little bit...but that didn't do anything until yesterday i noticed it was working again. so don't really know what that means but maybe try what i did and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
VPRocYP
Rep

Thanks guys. After messing with shifting in and out of reverse last night I realized that my reverse lights were delayed too, and once they turned on (sometimes three-five seconds after putting the stick into reverse) then the mirror would adjust as it is supposed to. I haven't looked into any schematics, but it seems like some trigger that engages the reverse lights and mirror function that might be acting up...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

i have the same issue. mind you ive owned the car for about 1.5 months.

reverse mirror worked when i bought it, does not anymore.

i did install lci led rears tho, maybe related?

coded "properly" etc etc... no flash or any of the other led rears on pre-lci symptoms.

im going to have a look at it today. i'll test my rear light again see if its coming on or not / delayed.

chime in soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

You have to put the little slide button where the mirror controls are to the left for the right mirror to go down in reverse.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

.... this might be unrelated... but...

how is your battery? BMWs are known to have odd things happen with the electrical system when the battery is low. the car will disable some features randomly.

about a year or so ago before I replaced my battery, my radio would just randomly stop working, and then work again, and then stop, etc. Well found out my battery was going bad (original battery) and after I had it replaced, have not had 1 single issue with the radio.
      06-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
VPRocYP
Rep

@Bamaben - I'm aware of the mirror adjustment toggle requirement and have since narrowed it down to the car not "recognizing" that I've put the stick into reverse, as the reverse lights are also just as delayed as the mirror movement (sometimes indefinitely).

@anom3 - I don't have any lighting upgrades or coding yet, aside from blacklines which reuse the same bulbs and housing anyway. Interested to know if your lighting changes are the source of your issues though.

@Allblackbimmer - previous owner replaced battery about two years ago (he's a previous poster here, so there's documentation of it), but I'll keep an eye out on any other funny electrical business and keep the battery in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0