E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Harness Bars?

Closed Thread

06-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
Beau93315
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E90

Harness Bars?

I have searched all over with no luck without it being the m3 harness bar(link below), does anyone have any suggestions where I can purchase one(and or if this fits)? I may be looking in the wrong place if so I highly apologize .

Trying to shave weight I am running VFF600 but got walked by a stock turbo+ E50/meth 135i(obviously alot of variables here and I was just running meth but still) but need shave weight now

Thanks!

Challange Harness Bar:
http://europeanautosource.com/bmw/m/...mw-e92-m3.html
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
But adding a harness bar only adds weight

In semi-seriousness, do you have the supporting hardware (race seats & harnesses)? Also are you even sure if a harness bar is legal for which ever race/school/club you drive with? Or is this purely for street?
      06-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Beau93315
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E90

True however removing the rear seats, and the front seats to be replaced with a set of Corbeau FX1 Pro(19 lbs) seats will be a nice savings I understand you still have to add in the harness bar and the harnesses. Purely for the street(possibly looking to track in near future), nothing else will be removed besides swapping for braille 21 lb battery(I have iDrive I do live in WI but not driving in winter so not worried if it doesn't crank over). Then I currently have a set of 19 M5 reps(wrapped in PSS) I cannot find anywhere but suspect they are 30 lbs each so I was looking to replace those with a set of ARC8 wheels. Any suggestions are more then welcome .

Hard to make more power because of AT so the new HPFP sure I could run 100% E85 but it would blow sadly. For now with adding exhaust I'll be at the 630WHP+- range which is great. It's a hard battle because both are equal options, but both can get $$$.

I'm not joking that 135i walked away, however he is around 3250 with half tank no back seats and has LSD running E50. I had a full tank of gas, no E85, full tank of meth(4.5 gallons) and two others in car with me. I'm searching my local area for a scale right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau93315 View Post
True however removing the rear seats, and the front seats to be replaced with a set of Corbeau FX1 Pro(19 lbs) seats will be a nice savings I understand you still have to add in the harness bar and the harnesses. Purely for the street(possibly looking to track in near future), nothing else will be removed besides swapping for braille 21 lb battery(I have iDrive I do live in WI but not driving in winter so not worried if it doesn't crank over). Then I currently have a set of 19 M5 reps(wrapped in PSS) I cannot find anywhere but suspect they are 30 lbs each so I was looking to replace those with a set of ARC8 wheels. Any suggestions are more then welcome .

Hard to make more power because of AT so the new HPFP sure I could run 100% E85 but it would blow sadly. For now with adding exhaust I'll be at the 630WHP+- range which is great. It's a hard battle because both are equal options, but both can get $$$.

I'm not joking that 135i walked away, however he is around 3250 with half tank no back seats and has LSD running E50. I had a full tank of gas, no E85, full tank of meth(4.5 gallons) and two others in car with me. I'm searching my local area for a scale right now.
My suggestion - decide what you want, i.e. street/show car or legitimate track car but don't try to mix the two. Me personally, I would never run just harnesses without roll protection, and if you are going to run harnesses, make sure they're 6 points.

You still get plenty of weight savings by switching to race seats and IMO the factory 3 points would probably be safer if you route the lap belt correctly. I wouldn't bother running a Braile unless it was a full on track car and you were trying to shed every pound possible. For a daily I honestly don't see the purpose and same goes for removing the back seats. But if you're just doing it for looks, knock yourself out though.
      06-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
pwilde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
My suggestion - decide what you want, i.e. street/show car or legitimate track car but don't try to mix the two. Me personally, I would never run just harnesses without roll protection, and if you are going to run harnesses, make sure they're 6 points.

You still get plenty of weight savings by switching to race seats and IMO the factory 3 points would probably be safer if you route the lap belt correctly. I wouldn't bother running a Braile unless it was a full on track car and you were trying to shed every pound possible. For a daily I honestly don't see the purpose and same goes for removing the back seats. But if you're just doing it for looks, knock yourself out though.

I can't decide if your brain is having a bad day/life, or if you just can't interpret a weight saving thread. If he wanted advice on how to daily/keep a car looking nice he would have asked. This is about being light and fast not about how you want his car to be on a daily basis. nor did he say a word about the track, he got raped and is out for blood. customize your car how you want and leave it at that, if you want to be a helpful forum poster then post helpful things based on what people want not what you believe they should do.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilde View Post

I can't decide if your brain is having a bad day/life, or if you just can't interpret a weight saving thread. If he wanted advice on how to daily/keep a car looking nice he would have asked. This is about being light and fast not about how you want his car to be on a daily basis. nor did he say a word about the track, he got raped and is out for blood. customize your car how you want and leave it at that, if you want to be a helpful forum poster then post helpful things based on what people want not what you believe they should do.
Nobody's having a bad day. I just know a thing or two and assclowns like you are the type to give bad advice. Firstly, keep in mind he posted in the track section you dick, so god forbid someone gives track oriented advice (and OP said he may eventually take the car on track). Secondly if your noob self knew a thing or two about anything, you'd know that harness bars can be more dangerous than a stock setup which is why so many clubs and race sanctioning groups don't allow them. This safety concern translates to the street as well.

So maybe you're all about giving pimpmyride-esque advice w/o safety concern but that isn't how I help folks out. Go run along to the photo/video gallery or the cosmetic section. This sub-forum is for people who know a thing or two or wish to learn something.
      06-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-Tom View Post
You're the idiot that told him to run a 3 point with a racing seat....I take it you don't value your life. Never in any case, as long as the harness is installed using a welded harness bar with floor support, or half cage, would a 3 point be favorable. If you read his post he was asking about installing a racing seat in order to save weight, if you do that you should install a half cage and or harness bar(welded with floor support). That's all you needed to say
Here is some advice for you...

You should sell your cars please, buy a book with the money and have a nice day. Thanks....
Not at all. The truth is if you're going to install race seats, you should get all the supporting hardware i.e. 6 pt harnesses and [welded] roll cage but for someone who wants to keep their car streetable there's inevitably going to be compromises. Given the choice between factory 3 points vs harnesses & harness bar only but no roll protection, I'll take seat belts any day. Not to mention strapping into harnesses every time you hop into the car gets old fast. And I guarantee the majority of club racers will agree with me.

Factory 3 points and race seats are only a concern when the lap belt is routed over the side bolster. This could lead to a submarining effect which is why it's typically looked down upon. But if you can route the side belt through the side hole, you're able to negate the effects of the submarining by maintaing the original geometry as well as having the ability to move your head during a rollover. This is something you can't do if if you're strapped into a harness with harness bar but no roll bar. The roof could cave and lead to spinal compression.

A harness bar welded to the floor for support? Yea in theory that's great but nobody sells one and regardless, the one OP was looking at isn't designed like that which is why I told him it's not a good idea. Of course a half cage is better, and that's what I run in my car but it was clear OP was looking for a bolt-in harness bar.

I'll keep my cars thanks, perhaps you should stop reading interwebz blind leading the blind and come out to the track and talk to real racers.

Quote:
OP if my response wasn't the answer you were looking for, well I'm not going to apologize because I genuinely believe I was giving you sound advice regarding safety. You posted in the Track section and most folks who track their cars and understand the safety aspects will advise against a harness bar only. FWIW I think Brey Krause may offer one but I've yet to see anyone install one in their E9x.
      06-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
pwilde
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
lastly he did not ask if hew should do a bar, he asked which to get, it's up to him weather or not it gets old, not for everyone. the i'm thinking people who buy a 600 whp kit may not have safety in mind but going fast, it also doesn't mean it's his daily. lighter=faster it's math....(joke seeing as you won't get it)

What you need to do is buy a town and country according to you because it's easy, comfortable, and safe... why do you even track? obviously not willing to show up to play with the big boys simply be there to be the guy everyone hates because they have to pass you every lap due to you being "safe"

I didn't get into motor sports to be safe i did it to have fun...

Last edited by pwilde; 06-03-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
pwilde
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
learn to read and take your safe, boring self back to the grocery getter and groupon forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
pwilde
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I have searched all over with no luck without it being the m3 harness bar(link below), does anyone have any suggestions where I can purchase one(and or if this fits)? I may be looking in the wrong place if so I highly apologize .

Trying to shave weight I am running VFF600 but got walked by a stock turbo+ E50/meth 135i(obviously alot of variables here and I was just running meth but still) but need shave weight now

Thanks!

Challange Harness Bar:
http://europeanautosource.com/bmw/m/...mw-e92-m3.html
His post says looking to save weight, because he lost with a more powerful car. not how can he attend the track safely (even disclosed that he may have posted in the wrong section) don't be ignorant not everyone wants what you want. So if you are an "adult" then learn to read and understand what people are looking for instead of wasting their time reading your post structured towards making them feel like shit about the mods that they want to do. on the contrary, you are the dick head.

And way to go about post count, that totally makes sense because there is race care engineers that have things to contribute and much knowledge who never have posted on a forum... but at least you have more post so your smarter right?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread