E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > generation gap in 335i drivers

12-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
SJNESH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

generation gap in 335i drivers

Although I look 20 and in college, I am a 25 year old professional and I work very hard to afford my car. Since I've had my car I have noticed a trend of older 335i drivers not wanting to acknowledge or give "props" to the younger 335 drivers on the road. There seems to be some resentment towards us for driving the same car they are driving. To them I say, PFFT! get a grown-ups car! If you don't like driving the same car a 20-something year old is driving then please make your way to your local dealership and get yourself a nice 5 series, 7 series or a mercury w/e your heart desires just don't resentment ME for YOUR decision to obtain the lowest class/sportiest bmw. If I'm coming off as a jerk I'm sorry but I just think its dumb. has anyone else noticed this?
      12-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
LODOSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 E92

Most BMW drivers are just driving the car because they have it.. people don't get one so they can say HI to other BMW drivers and feel like they are part of a Car enthus group.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
SJNESH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

really? I totally got mine to wave at other 3 series owners
      12-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

do you ask them what they think?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
bimmin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn View Post
do you ask them what they think?
+1

I try to not even look at other drivers let alone interview them.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNESH View Post
Although I look 20 and in college, I am a 25 year old professional and I work very hard to afford my car. Since I've had my car I have noticed a trend of older 335i drivers not wanting to acknowledge or give "props" to the younger 335 drivers on the road. There seems to be some resentment towards us for driving the same car they are driving. To them I say, PFFT! get a grown-ups car! If you don't like driving the same car a 20-something year old is driving then please make your way to your local dealership and get yourself a nice 5 series, 7 series or a mercury w/e your heart desires just don't resentment ME for YOUR decision to obtain the lowest class/sportiest bmw. If I'm coming off as a jerk I'm sorry but I just think its dumb. has anyone else noticed this?
What do you mean "give props" to the younger drivers on the road? I'm in my mid 30's and I don't resent a younger 3 series driver. If you work hard and can afford one early on, I admire that. I think this forum is a little skewed toward what the norm age is for these vehicles. Remember, the amount of people that can afford a ~$40K vehicle is actually fairly small, and it is typical that the ones that can buy them are generally more established, hence older. If you live in some of the larger cities (like Boston for example), there is a higher concentration of affluence, so the cars reflect that. The flip side is that for the most part, no one cares what you're driving around here, as a 3 series is very commonplace.

Also, I think that older drivers are just not into giving "props" to anyone on the road. We're past that stage. Sure, if someone ever asked me about my car while I was stopped or parked, I would be happy to talk to them and share my enthusiasm. And yes, if the opportunity presents itself, I do admit to giving a bit more courtesy to a fellow BMW driver, regardless of age or model.

When you say that us older people (God did I just call myself that? ) should leave the 3 series to the younger crowd and get a "grown-ups car", I have to disagree. Could I have gotten a 5 series? Sure. But to be honest, I feel that it is too large, and not nearly as much fun as the 3 series. Now if it was the M5....... The 3 series fits me perfectly. Great fun, perfect size, and an all around amazing car that I can look forward to driving every day.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Around here theres no appreciation to other BMW drivers. Unless theres a mod of some sort on it, you know they wont give you a wave.

The only thing Ive seen(and it scares the hell out of me) is when Im driving my friends Mini. They damn near do everything they can to wave, say hi or flash at you. Now those owners are a tight group.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that maybe those of us that are 30+ are really fixated on who is driving another 3 series. Man you need to see a psych. I mean really...you're getting wound up about other BMW drivers not acknowledging you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.
      12-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Being 57 yrs old, I hate to admit that I AM one of those "older guys". Yes, I wave back to those that wave to me but don't go out of my way to wave to others. Its no big deal one way or another. No "resentment" we just don't care about waving. BTW, if you check the demographics of BMW 3 series ownership, you will NOT find that it is a 20 something car.

BTW, my Sapphire Black 335i Coupe has Coral red interior. I have replaced the amber reflectors, have an M3 spoiler on order. New 19" Moven wheels with General Exclaim UHPS. Put the Turbo tuner on my Xmas list.

Not to shabby for an "older guy". Gear heads come in all ages. Appreciation of fine cars is not wasted on the those who have accumulate some years. BTW, when I was in my early 20s, I could not have afforded a car like this. Thank your parents for providing you with the means or education that enables you to actually be driving a BMW rather than a GM car or Honda. BTW, Don't tell me what kind of car I should be driving! I've EARNED the right to decide that for myself!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
LODOSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Around here theres no appreciation to other BMW drivers. Unless theres a mod of some sort on it, you know they wont give you a wave.

The only thing Ive seen(and it scares the hell out of me) is when Im driving my friends Mini. They damn near do everything they can to wave, say hi or flash at you. Now those owners are a tight group.
The Mini drivers are usually the people that want to feel different than everyone else. Just look at the amount of options/acc on the car. <eco-friendly, small, lightweight, 4 seater, handels good.

It is like the EVO drivers, although they are a whole different crowd than the mini but just about all the evo drivers likes AWD/Turbo cars that can handel like a dream.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

i wave and nod to other BMW drivers in my 89 volvo just because mine is coming in 2 months. They think im crazy...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Its just a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
XS4
slave to the dark side
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

I wave and nod to other BMW drivers when I am in my wife's Passat - they also think I'm crazy
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

In my Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 every time I have seen another one on the road I have given and recieved the wave of respect. Maybe the new 3 series is becoming too much of a "dime a dozen car". I wouldn't sweat it though.
      12-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
GoRedSox
Goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe M-Sport DCT

Doesn't it get old pretty fast to wave at every single 3 series driver. On my trip today to a local grocery store I saw at least 10 E90 3 series in less then 20 minutes - actually at least 4-5 with the same colour. Even my 2 sons who where with me pointed it out to me. Maybe not all of the cars were 335s, but how can one really tell the difference without looking at the back.
So relax, my friend, I don't think it's a gender gap. Maybe you were overthinking this thing a tiny bit.
BTW, I am 43 but I look not a day older than 41.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Are you looking for someone to throw you a sign? Some kind of hand gesture?

I hate to break it to you, but the 335 is a grownup car. Most run about ~$45k - hardly an entry level car. I bought my first bimmer at 26, now I'm on my second at 32. If you want to drive a grown up car, don't expect other drivers to act like a kid and throw you "props".

Sure, I'm always interested when I see someone in an e9x, especially a 335. They're not common around here at all. 323 / 325 / 328 is very common, 330's are hitting the used market and becoming more common.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you bought an old man car. Look at BMW's sales data, the average age for the 335 buyer is upper 40's / lower 50's.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
I am not really clear on this. What are you expecting from older BMW drivers that you don't feel you are getting?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

C'mon guys, lets just tell him about the "secret" HIGH sign. Oh, I forgot. You have to be at least 30 yrs old before BMW will divulge that information to an owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I am not really clear on this. What are you expecting from older BMW drivers that you don't feel you are getting?

I think he's looking for this. (sorry, I just coudn't resist)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #22
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
How strange that nobody waves at you, since you sound like exactly the kind of mature, well-adjusted person I'd want to be friends with. I promise not to "resentment" you.