BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Canadian 2003 E320 needs a new engine?

12-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
Angry Canadian 2003 E320 needs a new engine?

My father's 2003 Mercedes E320 now needs a new engine after the analysis from the MB dealership here in Vancouver, Canada.

the story:
we bought the car new. Since day one this car has been showing slight problems. Often when applying throttle during mid corners the car would jutter as if there isnt enough fuel delivery. coming to a stop the car would jutter sometimes too. it jutters to a point where the passengers can feel it. when the car is crusing, its fine. but in stop and go traffic you definately feel it.

the car has been brought in for a few times and my dad tells them the issue; he gets the car back saying theres is nothing wrong with the car... then in 2006 the car has this "engine oil low" sign but there is adequete amounts of oil in the car. the techs examine the car and tops up the oil and tells us to drive the car for 1000km then coming back to check the oil consumption. they realized the car is buring more engine oil than normal... but nothing has been done till now.

NOW the dealer says this car needs a new engine, but they have to talk to the head office in canada to see if they'll approve of it. we still have our standard warranty and we also bought the extended warranty for this MB E320.

QUESTION: does this fall under the canadian "Lemon Law" where i can get a refund or a new car? does the factory warranty cover all costs of a new engine? what can we do about it. my dad is in the market for a new car very soon.

thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

You won't get a refund on the car. There is no such thing as a Canadian lemon law, and even if there was, this incident wouldn't qualify for coverage under most of the laws that do exist. Work this through with Mercedes and the dealer. You've got documentation stating that there were issues with the engine throughout its life.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
You won't get a refund on the car. There is no such thing as a Canadian lemon law, and even if there was, this incident wouldn't qualify for coverage under most of the laws that do exist. Work this through with Mercedes and the dealer. You've got documentation stating that there were issues with the engine throughout its life.
http://camvap.ca/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post
There is no Lemon law. Also, he's too late on this:

your vehicle is a current model or one from the previous four model years. For example, in 2003, after September 30, your vehicle must be a 2000 or newer model; in 2004, after September 30, it must be a 2001 or newer model; in 2005, after September 30, it must be a 2002 or newer model, etc.

Good info. Interesting to note that BMW is not a participant in the program.
Appreciate 0