E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HID Cutoff and Vertical Alignment

05-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
abw335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92 6MT

HID Cutoff and Vertical Alignment

Does anyone have pictures of their HID headlight cutoff against a wall?

After some research, I've discovered that there are two ways of vertical aiming-

Using the upper part of the cutoff as reference:
1. Both beams is perfectly aligned
2. Drivers side beam is aimed lower with the upper part of cutoff aligned with lower passenger side cutoff

Which way is correct?
Also, if my projectors measure 25" from the ground, at 25' from a wall, should the light from the upper or lower part of the cutoff be ~2" lower than the projector height?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

Normally, the drivers side beam is lower than the passenger to keep from blinding on coming drivers. As long as you're not blinding traffic, having them even won't hurt anyone/anything.

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
skiracer8148
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I need help with this as well, im not sure how BMW aligns headlights but they charge alot for it. If i can't find a specific instruction, im just gonna park next to a friends 335 and match the height up to his.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw335i View Post
Does anyone have pictures of their HID headlight cutoff against a wall?

After some research, I've discovered that there are two ways of vertical aiming-

Using the upper part of the cutoff as reference:
1. Both beams is perfectly aligned
2. Drivers side beam is aimed lower with the upper part of cutoff aligned with lower passenger side cutoff

Which way is correct?
Also, if my projectors measure 25" from the ground, at 25' from a wall, should the light from the upper or lower part of the cutoff be ~2" lower than the projector height?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear From Jax View Post
Normally, the drivers side beam is lower than the passenger to keep from blinding on coming drivers. As long as you're not blinding traffic, having them even won't hurt anyone/anything.
Both beams should be the same height. The left half of each beam is already dipped down to account for oncoming traffic.

It should look like this:
Code:
____/-----____/-----
Not this:
Code:
          ____/-----
____/-----
The height is measured to the left (lower) half of the cutoff and it should be 2.1" lower than the height of the bulb at 25 feet out.

What I do is get some painters tape, a measuring tape, and find a really long flat wall, then park parallel to it with the drivers side really close to the wall. Tape a shirt or towel or something over the passenger headlight (or have someone stand right in front of it) to block out the light. Now measure the height of the light to the center of the projector. I think there's a dot on the lens to mark the center but I don't remember. Now measure 25 feet in front of the wall, and measure 2.1" less than the height of the projector you got earlier. Mark the height on the wall with some tape. Now adjust the drivers headlight so the cutoff is right below the tape. It's ok if there is a bit of color above that line but the main white part of the beam needs to be below it. Then uncover the passenger side and move the car perpendicular to the wall as far away as possible (at least 20-25 feet out). Finally, adjust the passenger side so the height of the beam is even with the drivers side.
Appreciate 0