E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Alternator Issues

05-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
AlanH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
Alternator Issues

Some background: My car was hit about a couple weeks ago (rear bumper damage, girl was caught, her insurance pays for everything) and I had the car towed to my body shop for repair. However, they towed the car late at night, and dropped it off the next day. After picking up my car from the body shop, the car immediately wouldn't start and needed a jump. After this, I have been able to drive without it having any problems. About a week later and roughly ~100 miles, my car is having some starting problems. It takes a while to click before it would turn over. I took the car into O'Reilly's Auto and got it checked, and the worker said it is the alternator that is giving me issues.

My theory is: The tow company probably left the key in the ignition overnight, causing the car to ding throughout the night thus draining majority of my battery.

Would I be able to pursue the insurance that paid for my bumper, or the tow company? I'm kinda clueless what my next step should be.

Quick update:

Took my car into my indy shop today. They diagnosed it to be the battery, which was sitting at 13%, so it was not holding a charge correctly. Some of you guessed correctly that the 7-year-old OEM battery was just not holding up. $300 and an upgrade to a new AGM battery later, I was on my way.

Last edited by AlanH; 05-21-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
AviatorBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

How can being hit in the rear end up damaging your alternator? Do you drive a '72 VW Beetle?

If these issues were not present before the accident, then take a look around the battery. Maybe the impact loosened something up and your battery is not being charged properly.

I see you have an 07. Is that the original battery? If so, then it's time to start thinking about getting a new battery as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
AlanH
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmer View Post
How can being hit in the rear end up damaging your alternator? Do you drive a '72 VW Beetle?

If these issues were not present before the accident, then take a look around the battery. Maybe the impact loosened something up and your battery is not being charged properly.

I see you have an 07. Is that the original battery? If so, then it's time to start thinking about getting a new battery as well.
Hi @AviatorBimmer - I'm more concerned that the tow company left the key in the car while it was in their posession overnight.

I have had no battery nor alternator issues prior this car leaving my posession.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
AviatorBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
Hi @AviatorBimmer - I'm more concerned that the tow company left the key in the car while it was in their posession overnight.

I have had no battery nor alternator issues prior this car leaving my posession.
Sounds like you might be needing a new battery, as stated earlier. Leaving the keys in the ignition overnight or for 6 months, will not ruin your alternator.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

Sounds like you might be needing a new battery, as stated earlier. Leaving the keys in the ignition overnight or for 6 months, will not ruin your alternator.
+1. Also I'm 99% sure the car will shut things down to keep the battery from draining. Either way, it's probably your battery and I also wouldn't trust an O'Reilly clerk to diagnose your car.

Was it a really hard hit? Is the battery safety terminal in tact?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

It's possible the impact damaged the battery. It is located in the trunk, and it is possible for plates to break free.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
AlanH
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by @NormE91 View Post
+1. Also I'm 99% sure the car will shut things down to keep the battery from draining. Either way, it's probably your battery and I also wouldn't trust an O'Reilly clerk to diagnose your car.

Was it a really hard hit? Is the battery safety terminal in tact?
It was strong enough to push my bumper into a big cave, but wasn't hard enough to impact the subframe or rear quarter panel. Isolated only on the bumper.

The O'Reilly clerk brought out his little diagnostic tool and connected it to my terminals to find out what was going on.

@Wires - I have never noticed that the battery is in my trunk! I will take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
AlanH
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quick update:

Took my car into my indy shop today. They diagnosed it to be the battery, which was sitting at 13%, so it was not holding a charge correctly. Some of you guessed correctly that the 7-year-old OEM battery was just not holding up. $300 and an upgrade to a new AGM battery later, I was on my way.
Appreciate 0