GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

C7 Corvette test drive from an M3 driver

I took the new Stingray (manual) out for a test drive, with the hopes of comparing it to my current E92 M3 DCT. Previously I had an E46 M3.

The corvette is noticeably lighter, and noticeably torquier. Very quick, so much so that it feels like you're throwing around a toy car or go cart. In a way that's good, but in a way the Corvette did feel a bit too light and "toned down" for my tastes. It doesn't feel as connected to the road.

I drove the C7 without the magnetic ride suspension, with the concern it may be too sport a rough ride for my fiance. To the contrary, the ride was really soft. Almost too soft for my tastes, especially after being so used to the M3.

The downside is that the steering is so light that there is no weight to the car. I really like the heavy and more connected feeling of the E92 steering.

The car has a weird cockpit that can be challenging to see out of. The seats, although comfortable, are hard to get in a really good ergonomic posistion, mainly because the height of the seat was only adjustable in conjunction with the tilt, which I found to be really weird.

The manual clutch is so light it makes it much easier to drive than my previus manual E46 M3. The shifts in the C7 are fast and precise, much shorter than the long throws of the E46.

IMO, the styling on the C7 blows away every car in its price range, and stands out among even higher end cars. I was at a car show, and to me the C7 looked as good/better than the R8, ferraris and older lamborghinis, at least to my eyes.

The decision between a C7 and an M4 will be very hard for me, although I leaning towards a C7.

If any other M3 driver has test drove a C7, I would like to hear your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I owned 2 E92 M3s and now own a C7 Z51 with MRC. A couple of thoughts/observations...

Was the C7 a Z51? I ask because the base car suspension is very soft. A Z51 with MRC has a suspension that is similar to an E92 M3 in touring mode all the way up to much firmer than an M3 in track mode.

Also, the weight of the steering is adjustable. Track mode is very firm and sport mode is about the same as my E92 M3. Touring mode is way too light for me... I NEVER drive with the steering set to touring (which is default until you reconfigure the car).

With the car to sport mode (steering, MRC suspension, throttle), it is firmer in all respects than my E92 M3. In touring mode, it was, IMO, similar. Without MRC suspension in a base car, many reports are it is too soft. MRC completely eliminates this issue... from comfortable in touring mode to track firm in track mode. I would not buy a C7 that was not Z51 with the MRC suspension. Too soft and not purposeful enough... besides, you get bigger brakes and better sway bars and suspension tuning with Z51. A real no brainer.

IMO, that is one of the issues with modern cars... there are SO many adjustable areas that it is hard to get the car dialed in for how you prefer without extended use. There are so many configurable areas (suspension firmness, throttle response, steering weight, exhaust tone, etc) that you really need to live with a car to figure it out. That makes an hour test drive a difficult thing to have a meaningful comparison with.

Otherwise, your thoughts largely align with my own experience. The car feels like a go kart in many ways. It is incredibly planted and has a TON of grip all of the time. It has so much grip that I worry I'm beyond my own driving ability and not aware of it because the car is making up the difference. The C7 is more of a true sports car than the E92 M3 and once set up correctly, feels more like it all of the time. It also has a ton of torque and power and, as mentioned, insane grip. Any car doing mid 11's in the 1/4 at 120mph (lots of owners have gotten this in real world testing) and over 1G on the skid pad is pretty fun

In an ideal world, I'd have an M3 or M4 for my daily commute and the C7 Z51 for the weekend and track.

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Have yet to test drive one, but I am on the lookout. Everything I have seen and heard about this thing suggests its an awesome car, especially for the price...

Really I don't think there is anyone/anything in this price range that even compares in terms of performance. The only thing I don't love about the C7 is the front end...everything looks decent until you get to the grille with that metal strip...its looks out of place to me..but maybe it will grow on me.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus86 View Post
Have yet to test drive one, but I am on the lookout. Everything I have seen and heard about this thing suggests its an awesome car, especially for the price...

Really I don't think there is anyone/anything in this price range that even compares in terms of performance. The only thing I don't love about the C7 is the front end...everything looks decent until you get to the grille with that metal strip...its looks out of place to me..but maybe it will grow on me.
I didn't like the chrome strip either... easy to fix in about 30 min with some Plastidip... mine is black now like the rest of the grille...

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I didn't like the chrome strip either... easy to fix in about 30 min with some Plastidip... mine is black now like the rest of the grille...

Nice car and color
Don't you have any traction issue like the older C6 specially when DSC is off?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Patronus86
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
@gthal, besides the ZO6, have you heard of any upgraded stingray models coming out in the future? Is chevy considering putting out a competition C7 stingray with higher hp and torque (besides the z51 package). I find it weird that they only offer the stingray and the next step up is a $80k plus car that does 600+hp; there is nothing in between in terms of price and performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Nice car and color
Thanks! With all traction off there is more torque than the wheels can handle... as you would expect. However, the car is very predictable and balanced... MUCH moreso than the C6. The rear doesn't surprise you any more than you'd expect with 465 ft/lbs or torque... if anything, I find it very predictable.

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
@gthal, besides the ZO6, have you heard of any upgraded stingray models coming out in the future? Is chevy considering putting out a competition C7 stingray with higher hp and torque (besides the z51 package). I find it weird that they only offer the stingray and the next step up is a $80k plus car that does 600+hp; there is nothing in between in terms of price and performance.
Some speculation of a Grand Sport option at some point with potentially a small HP increase but only speculation at this point.

To be honest, other than bragging rights, the Z51 is a ton of car as is. You'd need to be in the GT3 snack bracket to find something faster on a road course. It has pretty much outrun the 911S on every track it has been tested on. There won't be much, if anything, under $100,000 that will be able to run with it... other than the Z06 which will be on another level altogether.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Took the z51 stingray for a test drive. Love the styling and the feel of the car but not enough to give up my e92 m3 just yet. I'll wait for the z06.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! With all traction off there is more torque than the wheels can handle... as you would expect. However, the car is very predictable and balanced... MUCH moreso than the C6. The rear doesn't surprise you any more than you'd expect with 465 ft/lbs or torque... if anything, I find it very predictable.
I see. I love corvette and it was my dream car long time ago when I was a kid. The problem I have with this car is traction since it has been always a powerful and light car. I see lots of videos over youtube about crashes of Corvettes and all of them are referring to traction according to the huge torque you mentioned. this is one of them that whenever I watch it, I feel sorry for the driver who crashed this beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Patronus86
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
I see. I love corvette and it was my dream car long time ago when I was a kid. The problem I have with this car is traction since it has been always a powerful and light car. I see lots of videos over youtube about crashes of Corvettes and all of them are referring to traction according to the huge torque you mentioned. this is one of them that whenever I watch it, I feel sorry for the driver who crashed this beautiful car
Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to argue that the corvette isn't a tougher and more lively car to handle than say a porsche 911 or a jaguar...but that seems to be what defines a corvette...it's raw, powerful, tail-happy and still capable-handling all for a price that no one else can offer.

Yes you can get better handling and turning with a porsche or high-end euro car, but you are also paying easily twice as much if not more.

Also, the new C7 has been upgraded with lot more tech to promote better handling and balance over the previous generations...so posting C6 crash vids is pointless..we are talking about a different car here.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Patronus86
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Chris Harris did a side-by-side comparison of the C7 corvette and a 911...his conclusion: the porsche is a better car, but the margin between it and the C7 is pretty close. The Corvette doesn't have the best handling or balance, but it's pretty dam good for its price.

As Chris says, the porsche is better, but for the price difference, it had better well be. Otherwise why spend all of the extra money?

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to argue that the corvette isn't a tougher and more lively car to handle than say a porsche 911 or a jaguar...but that seems to be what defines a corvette...it's raw, powerful, tail-happy and still capable-handling all for a price that no one else can offer.

Yes you can get better handling and turning with a porsche or high-end euro car, but you are also paying easily twice as much if not more.

Also, the new C7 has been upgraded with lot more tech to promote better handling and balance over the previous generations...so posting C6 crash vids is pointless..we are talking about a different car here.

According to your first and second paragraphs, I was not comparing Corvette to any other car! I was comparing C7 Corvette to previous corvettes to see the improvement in traction
The first part of third paragraph was exactly the answer to my question about new corvette; but then the word "pointless" is not what I intended and it's the way you guys always want to convict each other
I just posted the video to tell OP what was my intention about asking the question about traction.
Anyways, thanks for your quote

Last edited by M6-Coupe; 05-18-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Chris Harris did a side-by-side comparison of the C7 corvette and a 911...his conclusion: the porsche is a better car, but the margin between it and the C7 is pretty close. The Corvette doesn't have the best handling or balance, but it's pretty dam good for its price.

As Chris says, the porsche is better, but for the price difference, it had better well be. Otherwise why spend all of the extra money?
Also, the car Chris was testing was an auto (big no no for him, especially given the C7 auto is no where near DCT standards) and not a Z51 car based on some reports and his review notes (it had the wheels but not the other bits like the e-diff, etc) and was reportedly a pre-production car. Not suggesting that makes the comparison less valid but if he was using a full production, 7MT, Z51 car today the result might have been even better in favour of the C7.

Most comparisons confirm that the C7 outperforms the 911S. Some reviewers still give the 911S the nod on feel regardless of the actual performance results. When you consider price, there really is little comparison (he commented that the options on the 911 were more than the entire C7 ). Given the 911S is one of the best developed sports cars around, I still see it as a fantastic result for the C7.

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i must be in the minority....but i really don't like the 'style' of the C7 Corvette at all. I was never really much of a Corvette fan----but the new one is just way too flashy, blinged out, and designed like it was made for a Hollywood set----qualities i just don't like in the cars i dig. I like understated bulges and discrete aggression.

That being said....i suppose what the Corvette provides is 'pseudo-supercar'-like experience for under $60k which is fine....but it certainly does look like a cheap copy of better supercars. I've seen several on the road now and i think they look awfully cheesy in person.

As for performance? it is a mega bargain for what it does.....but living with one every day? i certainly could never imagine doing so.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i must be in the minority....but i really don't like the 'style' of the C7 Corvette at all. I was never really much of a Corvette fan----but the new one is just way too flashy, blinged out, and designed like it was made for a Hollywood set----qualities i just don't like in the cars i dig. I like understated bulges and discrete aggression.

That being said....i suppose what the Corvette provides is 'pseudo-supercar'-like experience for under $60k which is fine....but it certainly does look like a cheap copy of better supercars. I've seen several on the road now and i think they look awfully cheesy in person.

As for performance? it is a mega bargain for what it does.....but living with one every day? i certainly could never imagine doing so.
All fair comments... style is absolutely subjective.

Living with one every day? I do it and it is just as easy to live with as the E92 M3 I owned.

In terms of styling, it is absolutely aggressive. It also gets more positive attention than any car I have ever owned. I get more compliments in a day than I would get in a year with other cars. I've had more people tell me the C7 is one of the nicest cars they have ever seen than I can count.

Having said that, understated beauty is also a good thing and I think the M3 does that extremely well. It blends in with the crowd and some people prefer that too and I actually understand it. At first all of the attention the C7 got was flattering. Now, I just want to be able to get gas without having to talk to one, two or even three people about the car... wait for them to take pictures... etc. It does get a bit old. Hopefully, when more are on the road where I live, the attention will die off. With the M3, I only had people who knew the car ever take the time to stop and talk. In many ways, that was a lot easier
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Nice car and color
Just gorgeous!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:

Just gorgeous!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
Just gorgeous!
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Also, the car Chris was testing was an auto (big no no for him, especially given the C7 auto is no where near DCT standards) and not a Z51 car based on some reports and his review notes (it had the wheels but not the other bits like the e-diff, etc) and was reportedly a pre-production car. Not suggesting that makes the comparison less valid but if he was using a full production, 7MT, Z51 car today the result might have been even better in favour of the C7.
Right... given how much he enjoyed the BASE MODEL it makes one wonder how the Z51 MT would've faired.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
Patronus86
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:

According to your first and second paragraphs, I was not comparing Corvette to any other car! I was comparing C7 Corvette to previous corvettes to see the improvement in traction
The first part of third paragraph was exactly the answer to my question about new corvette; but then the word "pointless" is not what I intended and it's the way you guys always want to convict each other
I just posted the video to tell OP what was my intention about asking the question about traction.
Anyways, thanks for your quote
I know you weren't comparing the C7 to other cars, but you were stating that you didn't like the C7's supposed traction issues:

Quote:
The problem I have with this car is traction since it has been always a powerful and light car. I see lots of videos over youtube about crashes of Corvettes and all of them are referring to traction according to the huge torque you mentioned.
That's why I brought up the other cars; because the whole point of the corvette, especially the stingray, is not to be the absolute best in its class, but to be the best for its $ value. Other cars will outperform it, but they also cost quite a bit more.

Also, I'm not trying to start an argument here, but you did show a C6 corvette crashing, not the new C7 stingray, which has different stability and traction control systems. All the reviews indicate that the new C7 retains some of tail happy traits from its predecessors, but the new systems also make a world of difference in handling and traction....so there is no point in debating the C7's traction issues, or lack thereof, unless we are using actual videos or empirical evidence from actual C7's...

That was my point in that post.

Quote:

Most comparisons confirm that the C7 outperforms the 911S. Some reviewers still give the 911S the nod on feel regardless of the actual performance results. When you consider price, there really is little comparison (he commented that the options on the 911 were more than the entire C7 ). Given the 911S is one of the best developed sports cars around, I still see it as a fantastic result for the C7.
Yeah i know Chris Harris wasn't using the Z51 version...it was still a great vid to watch....you know Chevy is doing something right if they can get someone like him to enjoy their cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

PTM was actually available on later C6's.

Having said that the C7 is more inherently stable with everything off.

The fact the they tend towards mild oversteer is a huge plus!
Appreciate 0