Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Exhaust Note: S55 vs. S65

Am I the only person that prefers the sound of the F82 to the stock E92 M3!!

I don't understand....my E92 is soo quiet its nice to have a car with a bit more character.

I however did straight pipe my e92 and that was brilliant, but stock for stock I think the f82 wins.

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhanna16 View Post
Am I the only person that prefers the sound of the F82 to the stock E92 M3!!

I don't understand....my E92 is soo quiet its nice to have a car with a bit more character.

I however did straight pipe my e92 and that was brilliant, but stock for stock I think the f82 wins.
Yes.

My excuse is that the former glory is always the way to go, that happens with old age.

I'm still pissed about not being able to get the old one, I had so many memories with that in it (it really helped me out, since last summer was shit, and we had to move here and that was the thing that sold the moving project to me) ready to be lived. The new one, in my case even the badge is wrong, will just have to be the car I spread my wings again. By that I mean that I'm going to go totally idiotically wild next August, and no one seems to want to stop me.

The sound, I really like the new one better in many ways, but the memories are golden, since they are not reality.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
They have a guy responsible for the sound of this car. That is his fricken' job. How bad can it be? I'm looking forward to hearing it for myself. I don't think the youtube videos really give a good acoustic representation of how the car actually sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Multiple reviewers have mentioned the underwhelming sound. I'm prepared for disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

This thread is gonna be quite big
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #6
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

I do like the sound so far... not in every video, but overall.
I think I'll enjoy it (and if it's just becasue of the fact that I did not own the E92 that is still fine with me) as it is my first 6 zylinder and I previously owned a Diesel (which I'll still keep).
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
e39>all
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah
They have a guy responsible for the sound of this car. That is his fricken' job. How bad can it be? I'm looking forward to hearing it for myself. I don't think the youtube videos really give a good acoustic representation of how the car actually sounds.
Yea, the space time continuum fails to exist on the parallel universe of YouTube, unless of course it's in support of your views and opinions. That excuse is pretty tiresome and amusing.

The exhaust is the only thing that I can think of that's not an improvement over the old version (rpms aren't really important to me). This was to be expected.

Initially I was very pissed about the exhaust, and figured I couldn't live with it as is (despite not being an exhaust nut). But with the more videos I've seen and more info about driving modes, flaps and whatnot I've actually grown more accepting of it. I'm still not a big fan of it, but my affection of the car and plans on buying one have not changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I agree with the OP on stock exhaust and engine (not intake) sound from the E9x. Sitting at idle it's as quiet as a Lexus (or a 335i). Same goes if you are a spectator (like on tourist rides at the Nürburgring), it just doesn't stand out as it drives by. Even a Golf GTI or R makes more noise as they drive past... It's too muffled.

The F8x seems to have a louder exhaust and provides more theatre, apart from cold start perhaps. It seems like it's more like a performance exhaust stock. And then you can have the M Performance exhaust which sounds awesome in the clips I've seen.

I'm a straigh six guy, so that makes it easier to like the noises the S55 makes. If you're a V8 guy, the S55 will be disappointing because it won't sound like a V8. Kind of if you are a big ZZ Top fan, Coldplay might not provide the same enjoyment
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:59 AM   #10
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I agree with the OP on stock exhaust and engine (not intake) sound from the E9x. Sitting at idle it's as quiet as a Lexus (or a 335i). Same goes if you are a spectator (like on tourist rides at the Nürburgring), it just doesn't stand out as it drives by. Even a Golf GTI or R makes more noise as they drive past... It's too muffled.

The F8x seems to have a louder exhaust and provides more theatre, apart from cold start perhaps. It seems like it's more like a performance exhaust stock. And then you can have the M Performance exhaust which sounds awesome in the clips I've seen.

I'm a straigh six guy, so that makes it easier to like the noises the S55 makes. If you're a V8 guy, the S55 will be disappointing because it won't sound like a V8. Kind of if you are a big ZZ Top fan, Coldplay might not provide the same enjoyment
Well, apparently it sounds sorta like a V8 in the cabin. The jury is still out if I like the exhaust, some clips it sounds like a mower, others it sounds good. I've heard it idle in person, and it sounded awful, but meh.

I think the exhaust will be fine, it's the intake noise that will be missed.

Also, although there are some brutal detractors of the F8x on this forum, I think the Coldplay comparison is the harshest thing I've read about it to date.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Also, although there are some brutal detractors of the F8x on this forum, I think the Coldplay comparison is the harshest thing I've read about it to date.

Hahahaha... Let's not make this a Coldplay vs ZZ Top thread then...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Yes, nothing says "character" like fake diesel sound pumped into the cabin via the speakers.

I really don't get it - they make the car totally isolated so you can't hear anything, then pump back in artificial sound. Wouldn't a better solution to be less insulation between the engine bay and the cabin? Same with the electric steering. They engineer all the feedback out and then try and add it back in.

I think in 20-30 years when we're all driving electric cars people will look back on this era of cars as the turning point of when people stopped caring about the driving experience and more about vanity and comfort. That's may be ok for some, but I'm not quite ready for it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes
Yes, nothing says "character" like fake diesel sound pumped into the cabin via the speakers.

I really don't get it - they make the car totally isolated so you can't hear anything, then pump back in artificial sound. Wouldn't a better solution to be less insulation between the engine bay and the cabin? Same with the electric steering. They engineer all the feedback out and then try and add it back in.

I think in 20-30 years when we're all driving electric cars people will look back on this era of cars as the turning point of when people stopped caring about the driving experience and more about vanity and comfort. That's may be ok for some, but I'm not quite ready for it yet.
It isn't just insulation. It is also the nature of a turbo (which essentially sits in the way blocking the pipes that provide typical exhaust notes on an NA engine)

....and insulation is important in selling cars these days. Nobody wants to hear road noise, tire noise, etc.
      05-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #14
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

So far I'm not thrilled about the sound of the s55 engine + exhaust from what I've heard so far.. I don't hate it. If it sounds like my old 335i then it'll be good enough for my liking. I do still get a kick out of hearing turbos spool. The stock exhaust on the e9x m3 is quiet but that induction noise is very enjoyable! I do hope the f8x retains some of the mechanical drive train noises, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

Sound.

I have never been inside the F80 but have heard it in person. The blue one with the black rims. New Jersey plates in San Diego. Sounded incredible recorded 2 min video with my iPhone. Car sounded like crap. In person you will not be disappointed. I guarantee that. Listed to anything recorded with a shi!ty phone and it sounds like .....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

there is no way stock for stock the S55 has a better engine sound IMO. BUT it does have a louder exhaust sound. exhaust sound and engine sound are different. the S65 is a N/A individual throttle body engine induction sound is great! while the exhaust stock LACKS big time.

the F80 has a louder exhaust stock, and you can hear more. which means it might sound better on the fact you can hear something!

believe me a E92 with the right exhaust setup is down right insane.
Appreciate 0