E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Ask Your BMW Shop Foreman

05-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Ask Your BMW Shop Foreman

So I was picking up my replacement turbo oil feed line from a BMW dealer today. At the parts counter I asked if a guy can look it up where it connects to the block as I still have not figured it out. He printed me pretty much what I could see at RealOem. Me still confused he suggested I talk to their Service Shop Foreman. This person invited me to the shop to look at one of the 335d that they had there. After I asked him if he has seen a lot of CBU on these. He said: "Every Single One Of Them"

I thanked him for his honesty as previous questions like these to any of the SAs yielded a negative bewildered look. So this is at one of the major if not main dealers in the city of 2M. May be not a great sample but I think still a significant statement. We also talked about X5s and how they are not affected because of the low pressure EGR.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
rimlaban7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
So I was picking up my replacement turbo oil feed line from a BMW dealer today. At the parts counter I asked if a guy can look it up where it connects to the block as I still have not figured it out. He printed me pretty much what I could see at RealOem. Me still confused he suggested I talk to their Service Shop Foreman. This person invited me to the shop to look at one of the 335d that they had there. After I asked him if he has seen a lot of CBU on these. He said: "Every Single One Of Them"

I thanked him for his honesty as previous questions like these to any of the SAs yielded a negative bewildered look. So this is at one of the major if not main dealers in the city of 2M. May be not a great sample but I think still a significant statement. We also talked about X5s and how they are not affected because of the low pressure EGR.
Interesting. I live in Louisville, KY and I have had a similar talk with my SA and shop foreman. Both of them have been very honest and gave me a similar response: "Do not own this car out of warranty or without extended warranty." CBU is coming! I've been lucky so far, but I'm only at 28k miles ...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
X5s are affected too by CBU but to a much lesser degree than the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

The shop foreman I talked to today said the same thing about X5d. Due to the heavier weight and the EGR system being different, there is a lesser change for those to get CBU.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I talked to my BMW dealer the other day about getting my 335d checked for carbon build-up and the SA said that they don't even have the possibility do to walnut blasting (they only have the blast tool adapters for the gasser).

Can anyone recommend me a dealer in SoCal who has handled carbon buildup on a 335d before and who has all the necessary tools and know-how available to do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
dixy2k
Major
Rep

I took mine in to Nick Alexander for CBU. They have the tool.
I think there is also an indy with the necessary tools for the job if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
I took mine in to Nick Alexander for CBU. They have the tool.
I think there is also an indy with the necessary tools for the job if you are interested.
Never been to Nick Alexander, but it'd be only a 1h drive for me. Do they give loaners for the repair time?

If you have a name and address for the indy shop I could give them a ring, too.

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Apparently they are very busy. I had to make an appointment two weeks in advance.
Yes they have loaners.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
dixy2k
Major
Rep

http://www.emw1.com
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
dixy2k
Major
Rep

I think Long Beach dealer has the tool too. I called them a few weeks ago for an estimate.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:50 AM   #11
van335d
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post

It's probably my car!
I am having CBU clean out serviced at this moment thanks to the walnut blasting SIB as previous CPO claim was denied. Still not happy that I have to deal with a more permanent solution.

Maybe BMW should have included the LP EGR for 335d as the exhaust return is post DPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by almirb20 View Post
Interesting. I live in Louisville, KY and I have had a similar talk with my SA and shop foreman. Both of them have been very honest and gave me a similar response: "Do not own this car out of warranty or without extended warranty." CBU is coming! I've been lucky so far, but I'm only at 28k miles ...
The warranty does not cover CBU cleaning so why not own one out of warranty, they will not clean it under warranty and if their are problems because of CBU they will do everything to deny those claims also...
      05-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I may be fortunate, I don't know...

According to my SA it is covered even CPO for the 335d only. Mine is having this service done right now @ 63K.
I'm probably not even going to have to pay my deductible as it was in less than 200miles ago and they didn't catch it ( I wrote a bad survey so they are doing everything possible to please me this time)...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I may be fortunate, I don't know...

According to my SA it is covered even CPO for the 335d only. Mine is having this service done right now @ 63K.
I'm probably not even going to have to pay my deductible as it was in less than 200miles ago and they didn't catch it ( I wrote a bad survey so they are doing everything possible to please me this time)...
That's good news, thanks for the reply
      05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
The warranty does not cover CBU cleaning so why not own one out of warranty, they will not clean it under warranty and if their are problems because of CBU they will do everything to deny those claims also...
yes, the warranty will not cover the CBU cleaning if you ask for it, but if there is a problem with the car it will, only after they replace any sensor or anything else before looking into the CBU (at least it was in my case). And maybe that is what SA had in mind by saying "do not own it without the warranty". I went with my car (under the warranty) telling them to look into the CBU issue, few sensors and injectors later they opened a PUMA case and only then they started to deal with CBU and cleaned all for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #16
rimlaban7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by almirb20 View Post
Hmm, weird. My SA told me this is covered by warranty. Conflicting info from different dealers ...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

What extended warranties cover CBU cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine told me no way in HELL, and then he laughed like the DEVIL himself...
      05-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

CBU will be covered under the warranty only if something else points them in that direction, otherwise they pretend there is no issue with CBU
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep

I received a very similar statement from my SA, basically saying that they can only do something when the SES light comes on or if there is an error code indicating a problem.

My car has all symptoms of carbon buildup: constantly decreasing gas mileage (I am down to about 20 MPG (combined 80% city/ 20% hwy driving), driving feels like 100 hp are missing, very bad throttle response especially at inclines, EGR valve had to be replaced about 2,000 miles ago (interestingly this was reported as "throttle valve malfunction" in the warranty report, the only told me it was the EGR valve that needed replacement, but not what was wrong with it).

However.... they can't do anything before the darn SES light doens't come on...

I already wrote an email how much it would cost to remove the intake manifold on my cost and have a look. IF there is massive carbon buildup then the above described symptoms could be maybe enough to open a PUMA case.

Any ideas how I could convince my SA? All the arguments to own this particular diesel (good gas mileage / massive torque) are not fulfilled at the moment... feels like I never should have bought that thing.

Current odometer reading: 53,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #21
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyeRalle View Post
I received a very similar statement from my SA, basically saying that they can only do something when the SES light comes on or if there is an error code indicating a problem.

My car has all symptoms of carbon buildup: constantly decreasing gas mileage (I am down to about 20 MPG (combined 80% city/ 20% hwy driving), driving feels like 100 hp are missing, very bad throttle response especially at inclines, EGR valve had to be replaced about 2,000 miles ago (interestingly this was reported as "throttle valve malfunction" in the warranty report, the only told me it was the EGR valve that needed replacement, but not what was wrong with it).

However.... they can't do anything before the darn SES light doens't come on...

I already wrote an email how much it would cost to remove the intake manifold on my cost and have a look. IF there is massive carbon buildup then the above described symptoms could be maybe enough to open a PUMA case.

Any ideas how I could convince my SA? All the arguments to own this particular diesel (good gas mileage / massive torque) are not fulfilled at the moment... feels like I never should have bought that thing.

Current odometer reading: 53,000 miles.
This is what I hate to hear, they need to step up ad take care of it,keep us posted, can anyone help this situation...
      05-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #22
FastFour
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Mine was in for Oil and DEF refill under warranty still (35K now and covered under CPO) and I asked my SA who has always been forthright and he said they have cleaned several 335D's and they are not covering it under warranty. He said it is on the customer for for around $700. When I asked him why it wasn't covered he said b/c it was "environmental" and not a BMW design flaw. I'm not too worried about it yet as I haven't had any trouble. I'm hoping with all the recent literature that they will cover it when the time comes as it sounds like it surely will.

Appreciate 0