E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any spray painters out there?

05-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Any spray painters out there?

I've done a bit of rattle can painting before and realised that i quite enjoy it so i want to take it up as a hobby.

I want to buy mini compressor and spray gun set up. Any that you'd recommend? Loads on ebay for about £40 but dont know if they are any good?

Basically i know nothing about painting with a gun so any help / advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #2
Ben1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hi mate I'm a painter the £40 guns on eBay are ok for a beginner keep your eye out on eBay for a used devil bliss spray gun they sell new for around 200 and are good guns for the price ideally you want a hvlp gravity fed gun for use with a small compressor, as with anything professional guns start around £200 to around £550. Any more questions mate just ask
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
joeyt
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Also with a small compressor youll end up working in noise as the compressor will be constantly refilling.

I burned 2 compressors out till I bit the bullet on a proper sized one.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
Iantype-r
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d

I used to be a sprayer in the Raf. I enjoy painting myself and thought of setting up a small bay. But realistically you need a hell of a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, some people can get a reasonable finish with a diy setup. But to get a professional finish you need a big compressor, you most certainly need a dryer to take the moisture out of the lines/compressor, extraction, an immaculately clean bay with variable heat that can bake, air fed mask. Then you need to correctly dispose of the waste, you'll use quite a bit of thinners cleaning out your guns,cups etc.

I know a couple of people who just have a really basic setup in there garage, and even though they get a reasonable finish it's another level to a professional finish.

Get yourself devilbiss spray guns, you'll waste your time with anything else. Good luck with it mate, it's a good feeling when you paint something and get a immaculate finish. Don't forget it's all in the prep, the colour will only look good if the primer underneath is smooth and free from imperfections.

Cheers Ian
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

I have been spraying for 30 odd years and still spray at home in the garage, yes devil biss are the best but I brought a gravity gun from Lidle for £15 and its well made and gives a good finish ideal for a beginner and a huge compressor is not required to use it, but its all about preparation and experience with a clean spraying area that will achieve a professional job, I have just sprayed my rear door and bumper schwarz black + clear laquer and here's the result.

Appreciate 0