E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dodgy Rear Window Lip Seal

05-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
AshleyB_UK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport (E90 2006)

Dodgy Rear Window Lip Seal

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and to owning a BMW. I recently bought my 2006 320d M Sport and I'm loving it. the car is in very good condition having only done 49K from new with 6 stamps from BMW in the service book, but last night I noticed the rear window lip seal was half off around the base of the glass. I know the rain water runs off the window and down the sides of the boot mouth and onto the rear bumper, but it looks shabby being half on, half off!

I have re-attached it but I want to bond it securely. I was wondering if anyone knew of a specific or suitable adhesive or bonding agent to fasten the lip seal to the glass? The seal itself is in good condition, just needs something decent to hold it in place properly.

Many thanks!

A
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
tclippinger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Sedan Jet Black

Garage List
Also looking for answer to this question...respectable bond?

I also have same issue with rear window rubber trim... Is there a recommended bond or sealant to re-attach the rubber trim to glass? Any answers out there guys, I'm sure this is not 1st time asked.
      05-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Generally for body parts (spoilers, lips, etc) I'd use Tiger Seal.

But don't forget BMW sell all manner of stuff, so they might have the actual product used originally (like that Gummiephledge stuff!)
      05-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
AshleyB_UK
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the feedback Russbmw.

I've ended up going for Evo-Stik "Serious Glue" Fix & Repair Adhesive.

Its solvent free, waterproof, copes in -30ºC to +130ºC and is non yellowing/UV resistant etc. Safe to use on soft plastics, rubber and glass amongst many others so it seemed the best option.

Will report back after use ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
AshleyB_UK
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi again guys,

Just letting you know I used the Evo-Stik Serious Glue to bond the window seal back on about a week ago. It's since been tonked up to 125mph on the M65 and had 2 washes plus plenty or rainfall and all is well. I used that glue to repair a 'full latch' on my home dehumidifier, a mechanical switch that shuts off the unit once the water tank is filled, it had snapped clean off but is now held firmly in place and functions fine.

It's good stuff that Serious Glue, I recommend it to have in at home.

A
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
AshleyB_UK
United Kingdom
Rep

PS I have ordered some of that Gummie phledge stuff, but its not for bonding rubber seals, it's used to maintain the integrity of them (avoid perishing, UV degradation, chemical attack etc).

Cheers,
A
Appreciate 0