E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > permanent "fix" to failed electric water pump? improved aftermarket alternative?

05-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

permanent "fix" to failed electric water pump? improved aftermarket alternative?

it seems strange that the e90 water pump has basically been designated as a wear item at this point, similar to the old e46 water pump....but has any company made a much sturdier alternative (like how there are metal impeller e46 water pumps)?

and if not....why not?
surely there is some specific component that fails on the water pump, and that component can be replaced with a more hearty version
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well, after three revsions of the "BMW" pump, what has changed? Are the newest versions lasting longer than the originals?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The control electronics are in the rear of the motor. They overheat and fail. It's a poor design.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The control electronics are in the rear of the motor. They overheat and fail. It's a poor design.
that sounds fixable with some thermal shielding and some super tough mini electric fans that run off the same power supply. you can get pc case fans designed for industrial systems that are loud as all hell, but incredibly durable. like, outlast the car durable.

however there might be packaging restraints
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
that sounds fixable with some thermal shielding and some super tough mini electric fans that run off the same power supply. you can get pc case fans designed for industrial systems that are loud as all hell, but incredibly durable. like, outlast the car durable.

however there might be packaging restraints
I'd just move the control electronics to the framerail so it can act as a big heat sink.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd just move the control electronics to the framerail so it can act as a big heat sink.
heh, not a bad idea at all, thatd probably runnforever
so the motor mechanical components dont fail? and none of the plastic bits? its just the electronics?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
heh, not a bad idea at all, thatd probably runnforever
so the motor mechanical components dont fail? and none of the plastic bits? its just the electronics?
When I dissected mine it was clear by the smell and melted conformal coating that the electronics over heated. There is a trouble code that indicates when the electronics get over 170 deg. C. they shut down. The impeller is plastic, but the one on mine looked as good as the new one.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

i'd be curious to see if using something like evan's coolant (100% antifreeze) would help, since it tends to run much cooler than standard 50/50 coolant and also can run at atmospheric pressure instead of needing a massive PSI pressure cap

maybe that will keep the electronics in the water pump cooler?

also, this trouble code the water pump throws, is it a ghost code (can only be read by a bmw-specific diagnostic tool)?

Last edited by joekitch; 05-21-2014 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'd be curious to see if using something like evan's coolant (100% antifreeze) would help, since it tends to run much coolant than standard 50/50 coolant and also can run at atmospheric pressure instead of needing a massive PSI pressure cap

maybe that will keep the electronics in the water pump cooler?

also, this trouble code the water pump throws, is it a ghost code (can only be read by a bmw-specific diagnostic tool)?
It's a BMW-specific code only readable with a BMW scan tool. A different coolant will make no difference, the car is designed to run within a specific tempature range, which is controlled by the thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's a BMW-specific code only readable with a BMW scan tool.
crap
i suppose this means it cannot be read in real time? since i have heard that the water pump codes are only thrown intermittently and dont "stick" unless the water pump is like, a day from failing
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
crap
i suppose this means it cannot be read in real time? since i have heard that the water pump codes are only thrown intermittently and dont "stick" unless the water pump is like, a day from failing
No. The two codes that show up indicating the water pump is failing are 2E81 and 2E82. 2E81 is a slow speed code. 2E82 Electrical Cooling Pump: Switch Off. Once they appear they stay until cleared.

You should search in the maintenance section on the water pump there is a lot of accurate information rather than what you have "heard". Look up Eninty's post on his failed water pump. That post explains the entire failure issue.
Appreciate 0