E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Ediabas Description

05-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
rs14smith
2009 BMW 335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Question Ediabas Description

Can someone please explain the purpose of Ediabas? Basically, why is it needed, and what exactly does it do to help with the coding process of your car?

I've searched around like crazy, but I cannot seem to find anything explaining why it's needed, or what it really is.
      05-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

BMW EDIABAS = Elektronik DIAgnose BASissystem

It's a communication system between diagnostic software and vehicle ECU's Controller Area Network...I believe.

It's old and has been long since superseded by BMW's latest ISPI platforms which use a central server ISIS and ISTA /D for diagnostics via an ICOM unit.

EDIABAS is still however useful for some coding / diagnosis and limited programming of ECU's even on newer vehicles.

Basically if you are on a budget, and willing to read and learn. EDIABAS with a DCAN USB cable using INPA (diagnostics) - NCSexpert (coding) - winkfp (programming) will pretty much do everything the dealer setup does.

Even the latest ISTA /D (Rheingold) has an option to communicate via EDIABAS.

Always remember when doing anything with ECU's you risk frying them if you don't have a stable power supply and good quality cable.

Hope that makes a little sense.
Appreciate 0