BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Least depreciating/appreciating options

04-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Least depreciating/appreciating options

So I'm eyeing up a Breitling Montbrillant as my next piece(just starting out and wanting to add to my Omega Legends Schumacher and Tag Heuer Formula One). I'm just starting out and don't really have the budget for 5-6k. The Breitling can be had for 4k gently used(I'm a sucker for the busier looking, triple dial faces). I'm trying to minimize any depreciation by purchasing used but was wondering if there's better options that might even appreciate(if not minimally depreciates). Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Vintage Rolex.

Can't think of any modern watches at that price point that will appreciate.

Buying used is definitely the way to to go and the best value proposition, but has it's risks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, in your opinion, there are no modern watches that might look like the Breitling Montbrillant that would hold its value? Even after taking the initial value loss from buying used? So for example, I purchase a 8k preowned watch for 5k. Will that 5k hold? Or will it perpetually lose value? Is there a modern watch that might behave in that manner? Or at the very least minimally depreciates?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

At your price point IWC is probably the best time piece you can get your hands on but you'll have to look around. Guys often swap out of watches regularly so you can find something with minimal wear with warranty left. Until you step up to the real big boy stuff (Jaeger, Patek, etc) nothing is really going to improve in value. I've got a lot of watches in my winder and I reach for my Aquatimer most often. Love the thing. A PO IWC will hold better than almost anything I know of. Vintage you're looking at possible mechanical issues, $ etc.

One other thing to mention about the Aquatimer in particular is they licensed quick release strap from Cartier. You literally press a clip and the bracelet comes off and you can put on the rubber strap. I change mine almost every day, it's really like having two watches in one.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
If you buy used most of the better makers will retain most of their value, but a near new or EX watch as a daily will get wear and the price will drop accordingly. Check out timezone's watch rating scale.

You have to choose carefully to retain value...trendy, low prod, color, classic, heritage or nouveau on and on. I still don't understand the prices people pay for unrare, ETA movement Panerais, but they're very popular. But those are $$$ options. Like the poster above, stick with brands like IWC (nice pieces), Rolex, Omega SM at that price.

Check out Tudor, I have a heritage and love it. For the money, a new Tudor is very reasonable and they are beefy. Also a more youthful, less conservative brand than their parent company, Rolex.

However, you also asked about appreciation also, and that's a more difficult proposition.

I think it's safe to spend on large diameter vintage chronographs, vintage Rolex and Patek and of course rare complications like a A. Lange and Sohne repeater...well, brands with years and models that have been market proven for some time.

For what I do and where I live I like vintage tool watches, favorite being a 1680 Red Sub.

Last edited by consolidated; 04-04-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Arrow

buy (and wear) what u like (and love), because in the long run any potential depreciation u may have would be offset by irreplaceable daily (or occasional) joy u have from a timepiece of ur choice, and urs only. the debates, comparisons, valuations and desirability will always fluctuate, and not even the super watch dealers of this world can accurately predict what happens to values tomorrow.

in saying the above, i second consolidated's opinion about vintage rolex, especially the sports rollies - these have been on a healthy uptrend in values over the last six months to a year. for example, i picked up my 1680 red from hong kong a couple of years ago and could probably make 10% more than what i paid on the market today. i almost exclusively have vintage rollies now for a difficult-to-explain whole slew of reasons, including the strengthening values, but here's a pic of my red sub for good measure:

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Just need to be careful about frakenwatches, fake dials, and unknown sellers when dealing with vintage. But that's part of the fun! Under $5K TZ marketplace: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=32
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

+1 on wear what you like. I'm not a Rolex guy but that's just me. One thing I would suggest is having a nice mix in your collection. For instance, depending on the F1 you've got I'd skip the Aquatimer I referenced above if they look too similar. No idea what you do for a living, not in reference to budget but just what you wear on a daily basis etc, but maybe mix in something a bit less sporty? If not go with a pilot's watch? Omega Ploprof is a super unique bulletproof watch but a bit of a budget stretch and either love it or hate it kind of thing.

If you want to go the vintage route, something super unusual, lots of wrist presence, etc and not blow the budget there are a number of very nice converted pocket watches available. IWC, Jaeger, omega all prewar. If you're comfortable with a 50mm case or bigger there are some sexy things out there around $1k if you look around and are patient. Just because you can spend $4k doesn't mean you have to in order to round out your collection and get something cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is the tag f1 I have:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271244514758
And the Omega:
http://archive.horlogerie-suisse.com...itedshumi.html
I work at a veterinary hospital so getting banged can be pretty common. I do tend to take the watch off when I know my hands are about to get dirty/scrubbing into surgery. I am comfortable with larger faces. Both the Omega and Tag feel and look small on my wrist. The Breitling Montbrillant looks more larger and flatter.

The one I was/an interested in:
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Breitlin...Datora/BRT1869

Although I'm probably going to go with what I ultimately like, I am trying to see if I can "kill 2 birds with 1 stone", especially if my tastes change.

Do you guys have examples of the vintage options? Searching for vintage seems to bring up simpler looking watches(which isn't necessarily my taste(?))
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
se15679875
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

The thing about luxury watches is that as you increase in price the target market is increasingly less likely to buy a used watch because used watches are, for obvious reasons, considered less prestigious than new watches.

If you doubt this just imagine an extreme example. Imagine a $1 million watch targeted for billionaires. Would Larry Ellison be willing to wear a used watch for $800,000 if it meant saving $200,000 over a new watch? Probably not.

The kinds of people who buy multi-thousand dollar watches are spending disposable income that they don't blink twice about. Being cost-conscious isn't a big priority at this level. That's why as a general rule of thumb most luxury watches do not appreciate. There are certainly a very small number of vintage watches that have appreciated over the course of a long time, but it's extremely rare and I wouldn't bank on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #11
marvin100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I work at a veterinary hospital so getting banged can be pretty common.
Whoa, there.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #12
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post
Whoa, there.
Lol just realized the innuendo. What can i say? Chicks dig animal savers ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
I think as others have noted, at this price point I would not be thinking about appreciation as it's not likely these brands/watches would become more desirable over time, thus retaining or increasing its value. There are few watch brands that will likely hold most value with a chance of appreciation over time, and I'd say that the Sub is #1 at this. In this range, if you figure out how to find a new one at a discount, it will most likely retain and eventually increase over time. I got my 16610 in Jan of 2002 slightly discounted and based on the price of a new one, it's doubled in price. Not that I'd ever sell it nor would I expect to get 2x what I paid, but I certainly see used models for sale that are priced significantly more than I paid, so I can say that the watch has held its value and appreciated in the past 12 years. I don't thing you will find anything else in this range that would have any chance to hold its value as well, if that's your goal.

I'd say to just buy what you want and use it well, that's the value of the watch. And if you must have something that has a chance of holding value, save up for the Sub or look further up market.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I would slightly disagree with the above poster about scarcity of used watches. Most jewelers have a lot of preowned inventory. Check timezone as mentioned above and Rolex forums has both Rolex and non Rolex classifieds. There are those who keep huge collections sure, but also lots of guys who get bored and trade in and out of things often. We're not talking rose gold Pateks here. At your price point there are lots of things out there.

Other thing to keep in mind is as soon as you buy it, it's used. Might as well get a gently preowned model and let someone else take the huge hit. You can get a lot more for your money. Regardless never pay close to retail for anything, I always get 30-40% off from my jeweler.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I never thought I'd make money on a watch, but the value of my Rolex (which I bought new 3 years ago) is now higher than what I paid for it. the economy in 2010/2011 was still a bit soft, so I did get it for slightly less than MSRP, but Rolex has raised prices on it so much the past few years that the used examples are now worth more.

on the other hand, I also just sold my Omega Planet Ocean and Breitling Navitimer for a nominal loss of $500 and $800, respectively. I got a few good years of wear out of both of those, so I'm not the least bit upset that I realized a loss. I'd say that's not a terrible loss by any stretch.
Appreciate 0