E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Birds suspension - Advice needed please

04-03-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Birds suspension - Advice needed please

Going to get the Birds B3 kit installed on my car soon, bought it from Gaz on the forums, needed a bit of advice

Is it best I get it installed at birds ? Are there any special Geo/spring/damper/cast/camber settings for this kit? I want to get the best out of it so want the install to be spot on

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks OldGreySteve, u've made me think bud..
      04-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I had the Birds B3 kit, in fact my tourer was the trial car for the rear setup in 2010. So I had a few spring combos to try and we did it all by post from Birds and I used my Indie in Manchester (Darren Wood).

it's a regular replacement item for standard, no special tools etc.

Just make sure who ever fits them that they DO NOT refit the standard bump stops from the original damper rods, no external bump stops are needed on the shorter modified Birds / Bilstein dampers, whatever your mechanic tells you.

Most important to get a GOOD 4 wheel alignment done afterwards. Somewhere that will get the settings spot on rather than just in the "pass" band somewhere.

The only normally adjustable settings on an E9x are front toe and rear toe&camber, so ask for M3 settings, they will transform the car by quickening the steering no end, and the extra stability of the B3 kit will amaze you.

The fixed front camber will naturally increase due to lowering, so you will probably be near M3 front camber setting anyhow.

Last edited by doughboy; 04-03-2014 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

That's good advice I thought personally that they had a slightly different set up to stock which doughboy's confirmed which is great so M3 spec looks like the way to go with this set up Rudz, something that I didn't know but at least I was on the correct track re the fact that standard 335i settings wouldn't be the best move for getting the best from this kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Thanks a lot Doughboy, great help, appreciate it mate..

Steve, with the useful information we've got from Doughboy, are u happy now to take this on mate ?
      04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le Mans 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Just make sure who ever fits them that they DO NOT refit the standard bump stops from the original damper rods, no external bump stops are needed on the shorter modified Birds / Bilstein dampers, whatever your mechanic tells you.
Just the front bump stops... or the rear as well?

I know you don't reuse the front bumps as they don't fit on the thicker Bilstein dampers.
The rears however are required as per the Bilstein fitting instructions.

Unless of course the Birds kit is miles different from Bilstein kits.
      04-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

I thought the rear B8s with the B12 kit came with bump stops, pretty sure I saw them on mine
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
whateva411
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 430d MSport EB

Is it better to get the birds suspension kit alligned withthe m3 settings?

I need to get mine alligned later this week and may opt for that!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le Mans 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
I thought the rear B8s with the B12 kit came with bump stops, pretty sure I saw them on mine
Ignore my post I am wrong the part that is needed is the bump stop cup on the rear. They do supply a new bump stop itself.
      04-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That's odd. I was emailing Kevin Bird only a couple of weeks ago and he said they always use bump stops with their B3 kit, either the original OEM ones or those supplied with the new dampers...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Maybe things have moved on since 2010...

My B3 kit had no bump stops (proper name is "additional damper") and Kevin expressly said not to use any external stops at all as they will mess up the damping in the final few cm!!!

Definitely don't use OE ones, they will be too long and meant for controlling long travel soft OE dampers. The oe ones will start compressing almost immediately on a lowered car.

They're not simply limit stops , they are meant to slow the travel of dampers as they compress.

If you check on realoem you can see they change bump stops (thus real name "additional damper") and not dampers across model variants, so there are dozens of stops in use, used to give extra compression damping effect for cheap so they don't have to have dozens of dampers developed.

If you're fitting a used kit, best check with birds I suppose to be sure.

Last edited by doughboy; 04-05-2014 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

In my box of parts removed the old bump stops were there on the end of the old dampers. So either they remove them and replace or leave off. They didn't charge me for any new ones.

Regards
Appreciate 0