Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need help picking tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
sjones88
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan M

Need help picking tires

Hey everyone.

I know absolutely nothing about tires so I need your help picking out a set of summers for my 11' 335xi sedan. Has m package. Anyways so what are good tires on the low/medium/high price range?

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Would need to know what wheels you have, as some brands/models are not available in all sizes/types.

Also, what are you looking for in the tire? Maximum grip? Does longevity matter? Better wet traction important, only dry? Is price important? Is quiet important? There are other things, too. Looking for RFT, or a conventional one?

Every tire has its good and bad points, optimized for certain conditions and characteristics. Without knowing what you expect out of them, there's no one 'best' tire that fits everyone, or there'd only be one out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
sjones88
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Would need to know what wheels you have, as some brands/models are not available in all sizes/types.

Also, what are you looking for in the tire? Maximum grip? Does longevity matter? Better wet traction important, only dry? Is price important? Is quiet important? There are other things, too. Looking for RFT, or a conventional one?

Every tire has its good and bad points, optimized for certain conditions and characteristics. Without knowing what you expect out of them, there's no one 'best' tire that fits everyone, or there'd only be one out there.
Ok they are the 2011 3 series m rims. With like double and single spokes. 18's. Staggered. I want to ditch my run flats cause they suck and are worn anyways. I'm a realtor so I do have people in the car often. So it shouldn't be too harsh of a ride. I'm looking for an overall great performance tire that's not too pricey but definitely not cheap. Longevity? Not top priority. Something that can handle in rain and dry would be nice. I guess I'm looking for a balanced tire leaning towards sporty. I like cornering. Have any in mind?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quick research looks like you have 225/40-18 front tires and 255/40-18 rear tires. Can you confirm?

I'm personally a fan of Continental and Michelin for quality of ride coupled with decent grip. Check out tire rack.
      03-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Hankooks ventus v12 is good for the price. If your willing to spend a little more Michelin pss.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
sjones88
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Hankooks ventus v12 is good for the price. If your willing to spend a little more Michelin pss.

How much are the michelins??
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Prices can be all over the place, then you have to consider Canada verses the USA and the exchange and duty...I'd start on www.tirerack.com and do some research, read the reviews, maybe call them...they live tires. YOu may or may not get a better price locally, but at least that will help you start to compare.

Plus, you definitely will need to look at your existing tires to see what size you have. There are so many variables on a tire's ride characteristics and handling, that there is no one tire that is right for everyone...each tire will have some compromises and only you can decide which 'features' would best for you. SOme people are almost impervious to tire noise, some hate harshness, some prize wet road grip, some want more economy and often, some of those are tradeoffs.

Keep in mind if you forego the RFT, you'll be stuck. If you opt for the mobility pack (a pump and tire sealant), you may end up buying a new TPMS, and it may not seal the tire either, depending on where it is. Should you want an actual spare, you'll need a wrench and jack, too, taking up space in the vehicle that doesn't have a space for it. There are tradeoffs in every choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones88 View Post
How much are the michelins??
Double the Hankooks.
      03-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
koches
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Garage List
I just got a set of Michellin Pilot Sports A/S 3 and love em.
Appreciate 0