E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Warranty Issue

11-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
davig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Warranty Issue

BMW can void the warranty if the car has been used in any "competitive" event. AutoX would seem to apply. Is anyone aware of anyone having this problem?

335i coupe, pss9s, F1 GD3
C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
I dont think they can tell unless the sporting events tatoo the car in some way. I've never heard that though...
      11-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

A "TIMED" event can void both your warranty and your insurance policy. BMWCCA and other "driving schools" are not timed events and passing is only permitted with a point by. These driving schools will not void any warranty.

Last edited by RMRC; 11-18-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
davig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
A "TIMED" event can void both your warranty and your insurance policy. BMWCCA and other "driving schools" are not timed events and passing is only permitted with a point by. These driving schools will not void any warranty.
Doesn't it make it all the more silly? Have they so little confidence in the durability of their product that they think beating up cones
in a parking lot is too stressful? I'm not aware of any other manufacturer who does this. Most have a clause relating to unusual abuse, but short of endurance races, what would a normal driver do to these cars to cause any damage?
It's a bit off topic,I don't think entering a competitive event voids your insurance. There's a difference beween void, as in no good ever, and not applying to a specific circumstance.

C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
You also might want to check your insurance policy. Mine does not cover any track event.

Is there any way to purchase "track" insurance?
      11-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davig View Post
It's a bit off topic,I don't think entering a competitive event voids your insurance. There's a difference beween void, as in no good ever, and not applying to a specific circumstance.
You're right. For example, my policy is not in force while competing in a timed event but is in force the moment I leave the property of the timed event. So, for me, an autocross is not covered by insurance but a driving school is.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
You're right. For example, my policy is not in force while competing in a timed event but is in force the moment I leave the property of the timed event. So, for me, an autocross is not covered by insurance but a driving school is.
I encourage all of you to re-check all of your auto policies if you haven't in 2007. Every major carrier I know of (State Farm, All State, Geico, Progressive, etc.) has discontinued coverage for any "on-track" event. I don't know what autocross is considered, but since I don't really do any I haven't followed up. Drivers Ed events are NOT covered anymore...whereas in 2006 many of these carriers did provide coverage. There are a few insurers out there that offer additional on-track, non-timed event coverage. Pro-sure currently offers it, but I've heard that Chris Maume who ran the DE offerings has moved to Gainsco and will be offering more competitive policies over there. So for those of you who THINK you're covered, I encourage you to double-check your policies. Better to find out the bad news before (god forbid) there is an incident.
      11-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks ToddPhilly. My last event was last June and when I checked with my State Farm agent I was told I was covered. I would not be surprised if that has changed. Thanks for the heads up.

So what track insurance do you use?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
davig
Private First Class
Rep

MY thread got hijacked, but I don't mind because the insurance issue is something drivers should consider. Most DE organizations are fairly that you aren't covered under your normal policy.
Not to put a chill on things, but it's worthwhile reading about the settlement relating to a very tragic double fatality at California Speedway
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera
It's a very complicated issue.

C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Steage
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
I'm not aware of any other manufacturer who does this.
All maunfacturers do this, they really don't want to pay to fix your car so they will look for ways out of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Off Topic

Quote:
MY thread got hijacked, but I don't mind because the insurance issue is something drivers should consider. Most DE organizations are fairly that you aren't covered under your normal policy.
Not to put a chill on things, but it's worthwhile reading about the settlement relating to a very tragic double fatality at California Speedway
WOW! makes me think twice about turning off DSC at the track.
      11-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This debacle is simply a total abuse of the legal system in this country. Go over to rennlist and read the discussion on this (up to 30+ pages now i believe).
      11-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks ToddPhilly. My last event was last June and when I checked with my State Farm agent I was told I was covered. I would not be surprised if that has changed. Thanks for the heads up.

So what track insurance do you use?
I'm hoping that Chris comes up with a good program at gainsco

I haven't driven the 335 on track since I bought it...spring 2008 will be its first time. Prior to that my old M3 and 330 were covered under my state farm policy

If not, pro-sure policies are 3% of the declared value of the car (at say $40k you're right around $1200 for the year. Not bad, but the deductible is pretty high $5k. So basically you're paying for anything liike fender benders. The insurance is meant for total loss. And it does not cover any damage you might cause to another person's car. So you always have to keep the "gentleman's rule" in mind...
      11-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
davig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDS View Post
All maunfacturers do this, they really don't want to pay to fix your car so they will look for ways out of it.
Porsche doesn't

C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Porsche doesn't
Incorrect. The official Porsche warranty voids coverage for any failures related to track use.

The differene is that Porsche service centers tend to be more willing to work with their clients than BMW service centers. Porsche looks for any way they can to get it covered under warranty. BMW does the opposite. My father in law had an issue with one of the cats in his C4S. Despite the car being a dedicated track car, his service rep said there was no way he could "prove" that the car was used on track...so he will get it fixed under warranty.

I can already hear my BMW SA saying...'well the car was used on track, so bmw cannot provide coverage, blah, blah, blah...'
      11-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
davig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPhilly View Post
Incorrect. The official Porsche warranty voids coverage for any failures related to track use.
I don't think so. There's nothing to that effect in my warranty book

The differene is that Porsche service centers tend to be more willing to work with their clients than BMW service centers. Porsche looks for any way they can to get it covered under warranty. BMW does the opposite. My father in law had an issue with one of the cats in his C4S. Despite the car being a dedicated track car, his service rep said there was no way he could "prove" that the car was used on track...so he will get it fixed under warranty.

I can already hear my BMW SA saying...'well the car was used on track, so bmw cannot provide coverage, blah, blah, blah...'
LOL-both Porsche and BMW are famous, each in its own way, for their customer service.
The Ultimate Driving(as long as its not too hard) Machine.

C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Ultimate Driving(as long as its not too hard) Machine.
Hysterica...but true!
      11-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
LOL-both Porsche and BMW are famous, each in its own way, for their customer service.
The Ultimate Driving (as long as its not too hard) Machine.

The Ultimate (Off-The-Track) Driving Machine

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Odd question, but generally speaking - if someone nails you on the track, would they be obviously liable?

Being that it's a private "road", I imagine the police do not want to get involved. In other words, you would have to pursue the claim yourself?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
This thread is going off track. The guy is asking if BMW will void your warranty for track events. And some are talking about auto insurance vs track events.

The warranty doesn't explicitly state that it will not warranty if you participate in a track event. They would have the burden to prove that the track event caused damage instead of normal wear and tear on the road.

As for insurance for track events, it is a separate topic and should be covered in another thread as we should not hijack the original author's thread. But to clarify, MOST insurance policies DO NOT cover if you are involved in a track-related issue.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
davig
Private First Class
Rep

Actually I asked about the warranty vis a vis competitive events. Competitive implies comparative results, which would presumably exclude DE days. It would seemingly include rallies and autocross.The warranty book is quite explicit; however what dealers do in practice is different. Porsche tends to be tolerant. My past experiences with BMW service have not been good, and I was asking if anyone had a warranty claim denied.

C5 Z06
Appreciate 0