F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How often do you clean your car?
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: How often do you wash your car?
More than once a week 7 6.42%
Once a week 38 34.86%
Once a fortnight 31 28.44%
Once a month 15 13.76%
Whenever I can be bothered 18 16.51%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

03-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

How often do you clean your car?

1. More than once a week
  2. Once a week
  3. Once a fortnight
  4. Once a month
  5. Whenever I can be bothered

Just a regular clean - not a serious detailing job.....

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I would clean it more often during the summer as I actually enjoy giving it a quick wash on a summer evening while the barbecue heats up.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

In winter I give it a weekly spray down with my jet wash and some snow foam.

In summer it's usually every other week, with a full spruce 1 a month and waxing as required, although last summer as was away in China for 6 weeks and Germany for 4, I put sealant on it rather Than wax.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
alex_chung
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive M Sport (Plus)

Once a week during the summer, maybe more if I have the time and if the car needs it. I need to get back into a cleaning routine again this year.
Alex
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

"When I can be bothered" ...It's a Daily driver. On PCP. It gets washed when it rains or the very occasional car wash if it is really bad. I've got plenty of better things to do than wash something I don't own that is designed to be outside in all weathers. Oh and is black, so little point really

I have owned show cars though and they are a different kettle of bananas.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #6
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

I don't do it religiously, it really is when I can be bothered or the car needs it.
That might be one a week, or it might be once a month...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Probably roughly fortnightly. More like weekly in summer, I kind of enjoy it...

Though, it gets a more frequent going over with the hose to get rid of seagull deposits... I live and work in costal locations... I keep it well protected so a hose over removes most contaminants... I'm sure my neighbours think I'm insane. I've been known to hose the car off at daft times... After a back or night shift...

Full DIY Detail 2-3 times a year. Quick reseal after a wash 6 weekly ish.
      03-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
"When I can be bothered" ...It's a Daily driver. On PCP. It gets washed when it rains or the very occasional car wash if it is really bad. I've got plenty of better things to do than wash something I don't own that is designed to be outside in all weathers. Oh and is black, so little point really

I have owned show cars though and they are a different kettle of bananas.
Got to say, I'm with you on this. Mine gets done once a month by a hand car wash. There isn't the time to do it myself, plus... I despise washing cars! The guys I take it to are great though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Both our cars are daily drivers and do 40k miles per year between them, but for me this makes it all the more important that I try to wash them every couple of weeks.

I do it carefully and methodically so takes a bit of time to sort out the limescale filter, the snowfoam, the two buckets, and then finishing off with some quick detailer and cleaning the windows. And I don't do that till I have cleaned the inside first, thought that's just a quick hoover and dust (hate interior sprays so avoid them if possible). And have to do this for two cars, but the tourer takes at least twice as long as the Z4 to clean.. double the doors, 3 times bigger roof, 4 times as many windows!

I could never do it every week, so try to do it properly every 2-3 weeks, though having said that, I don't get stressed if it goes a bit longer. If I can't clean it properly then would rather leave it till I can. I will give the interior a quick hoover if needed, as that takes minutes, and if windows are dirty then will clean those on their own.

I try to clean the seats with leather cleaner/conditioner once every 3 months, and I also nourish the seals with the stuff that BMW recommend, as it stops them squeaking. This is more important on the Z4 for all the seals on the roof panels.

I put a sealant on the car maybe 3 times per year, and I would use a clay bar perhaps once per year.

I understand that people have better things to do than clean their car properly, but for me it's a very satisfying pleasure and an important part of the pride of ownership for me.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Both our cars are daily drivers and do 40k miles per year between them, but for me this makes it all the more important that I try to wash them every couple of weeks.

I do it carefully and methodically so takes a bit of time to sort out the limescale filter, the snowfoam, the two buckets, and then finishing off with some quick detailer and cleaning the windows. And I don't do that till I have cleaned the inside first, thought that's just a quick hoover and dust (hate interior sprays so avoid them if possible). And have to do this for two cars, but the tourer takes at least twice as long as the Z4 to clean.. double the doors, 3 times bigger roof, 4 times as many windows!

I could never do it every week, so try to do it properly every 2-3 weeks, though having said that, I don't get stressed if it goes a bit longer. If I can't clean it properly then would rather leave it till I can. I will give the interior a quick hoover if needed, as that takes minutes, and if windows are dirty then will clean those on their own.

I try to clean the seats with leather cleaner/conditioner once every 3 months, and I also nourish the seals with the stuff that BMW recommend, as it stops them squeaking. This is more important on the Z4 for all the seals on the roof panels.

I put a sealant on the car maybe 3 times per year, and I would use a clay bar perhaps once per year.

I understand that people have better things to do than clean their car properly, but for me it's a very satisfying pleasure and an important part of the pride of ownership for me.
+1
I have noticed my seals are noisier on BMW than on previous cars.

I forgot about the seal stuff, I think I have some in my BMW cleaning kit thing I got from them.

I actually used the wax stuff they out in it, I believe BMW stuff is Sonax.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

i put once a week down as this is about how often clean the car.

weather, and time of year play a big part.
less often in winter due to dark nights (though i have washed it after dark by street light)

summer is a different kettle of fish, i have washed it 2 or more times a week when the weather has been good and we have light nights.
when you have just a fine layer of brake dust on the alloys and only a little fallout on the car,
i can quickly wash and dry it in about half an hour and usually do so when i get home from work.
my car is parked in front of my lounge window and it drives me crazy having to sit there and look at the car if it's dirty
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray335d View Post
Got to say, I'm with you on this. Mine gets done once a month by a hand car wash. There isn't the time to do it myself, plus... I despise washing cars! The guys I take it to are great though.
You, sir, are a lucky man. I live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America, and there doesn't seem to be a competent wash to be had within 50 miles. Apparently that second bucket is a capital investment too far.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

Couple of times a month if I'm lucky. I don't get the opportunity as much now due to having a young daughter. I'll feel mean telling her she can't wash the car, but it's not worth the risk lol!

Last edited by Zippeh; 03-26-2014 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Being an idiot...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

There's no option for "Never"?
      03-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
There's no option for "Never"?
And here was me, looking for the 'Before I take it in to part-ex it' option ...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 M5

Surely this depends on how new the car is, in the first few months most seem to lovingly clean their car each week, a few years in it just appears to get washed in the rain.

Mine is down to how much time I have - but try to do it once every two weeks - with a proper sealing every 6 weeks, and a proper detail every 6 months or so. If I can do it every week I will, I just like clean cars

For me it's a nice way of relaxing - sometimes the kids are buzzing about, sometimes I'm chatting to the other half, much of the time it's just nice switching off and not have to worry about things. It's the one or two hours I get to do something that's just what I want, so try to make time for it - kind of an enforced switch off from work, sorting out the house or battling with the kids, it was a clear decision as I'm not very good at sitting down and doing nothing

For a real cathartic job, I clean my other halfs car - it's invariably covered with mud, horsey stuff everywhere, mud on the inside, a thousand empty water bottles, hairbrushes, 16 pairs of shoes, receipts etc. I can spend a weekend on that car making it perfect, and it stays that way for about 3 months then the cycle starts again.
      03-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

I clean mine at least once a week which usually takes 2-3 hours if sealing/waxing or correcting it takes a bit longer. Use only the best long pile lambswool mitts(one for top half and one for the side of the car and one for the wheels) for wash and the best and softest long pile microfibre cloths for drying wiping or buffing and of course always snow foam, two buckets etc. I know I'm a bit over the top and my wife thinks I'm mad I just spent over £500 last week on microfibre and cleaning products for my new car coming when I'm already well kited out but I like my car to look like a showroom car
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

I do mine and the wife's about once every 2 weeks or so. Every 3 months or so I will seal and/or wax (depends on how much time I have). Correction as needed. I find waxing a pleasure though if the car is a darker colour, the wife's is silver which I dislike waxing as you can't see the haze. It's one of those jobs that's immediately satisfying with little effort but frustrating when it's filthy again after one trip!
      03-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #19
VonRat
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

When I sell it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Once a week for me !
2 bucket method using DoDo juice PH neutral shampoo
Nilfisk pressure washer with Snow foam lance.
Spent 3 hours applying 3 coats of planet polish wheel sealant last weekend...top stuff highly recommended.!

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #21
RobH72
Private
Rep
Drives: VW CC Gt

Every 6 months... At the 20,000 mile service by the dealer....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm another owner who likes driving a clean car. No different to me than when working on the tools, keeping clean and well sorted kit.

Mine gets a wash when it is dirty. Always been this way, even when working a full schedule would still give my cars a quick wash. No over the top stuff, but known to come home with a fifthly car and give it a quick wash straight away, even if it is raining, (it is quicker, ten minutes maximum including wheels) let it drip dry.

Often just get a couple buckets of water and quick wash round the bottom half of the car, just to keep it looking a bit decent. Anyone else do that?

Rural roads I use get a car filthy very quickly, so may get the 'half wash' a couple times some weeks.

Inside gets a quick vac once a week, only takes about 5 minutes to do, and keeps a clean interior.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0