E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > What's everyone using for tuning on track cars?

03-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What's everyone using for tuning on track cars?

I picked up an N54 car and modding has already started. I instruct at HPDE's and I'm looking for the most reliable, hassle free tune for track days.

I don't want any limp modes, overheating, etc. Yes, I will have two oil coolers and intercooler, so that's taken care of. I just can't find any info between JB4, Cobb, or Vishnu on which one is better for extended periods of time on track.

So, what do you guys use?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

More power will generate more heat so you will have to look at cooling upgrades.

As for the tuning I use a COBB pro-tune with good results. Before I've had a Procede V5 which also worked great. Linearity of the throttle response is key.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drives at Redline

I would go either Cobb, GIAC, or Dinan. Only true flashes with stock like power delivery. You want your track tune to be a little bit more conservative as to preserve your motor and give you good reliability. As said above, look into cooling options (FMIC, Oil Coolers, and radiator).

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

COBB
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

For the record, I went with Cobb V3, but since installing, it has uncovered some gremlins (30FE code) I liked that it was a true flash and controlled some different parameters that the JB4 lacks.

Extra oil cooler and brackets are sitting on my desk now, waiting to go in.

I'm going to ring her out at the track in stock form this weekend, and then start adding everything before the next track outing in a month.
Appreciate 0