BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Jeep SRT8

11-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Jeep SRT8

I know this has been discussed numerous times (mainly just a member brother got one) but was wondering what you guys thought of this car? Since im heading up north I need 4wd and a SUV and this might not be a bad look if I can get it for a reasonable price...input?
      11-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
I know this has been discussed numerous times (mainly just a member brother got one) but was wondering what you guys thought of this car? Since im heading up north I need 4wd and a SUV and this might not be a bad look if I can get it for a reasonable price...input?
Junk. A family friend works for a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealership and had a Hemi Cherokee and hated it. Chugged gas and drove like shit, he had the SRT8 for a week and thought even worse of it. Jeep has been ruined by Dodge. I used to be a diehard Jeep fan and had a 1990 Wrangler as my first car and loved it but the brand has been slowly watered down over the last decade. The only model I'd maybe consider is a Wrangler since that's the only car that was left relatively unchanged mechanically since 97, just got cosmetic upgrades.

Personally you can get a way better car for the money. I'd go with a Toyota 4Runner TRD with the stroked engine, but that's just me.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
gahh well thanks for the heads up, back to the drawing boards I guess =/
      11-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
lionheart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Junk. A family friend works for a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealership and had a Hemi Cherokee and hated it. Chugged gas and drove like shit, he had the SRT8 for a week and thought even worse of it. Jeep has been ruined by Dodge. I used to be a diehard Jeep fan and had a 1990 Wrangler as my first car and loved it but the brand has been slowly watered down over the last decade. The only model I'd maybe consider is a Wrangler since that's the only car that was left relatively unchanged mechanically since 97, just got cosmetic upgrades.

Personally you can get a way better car for the money. I'd go with a Toyota 4Runner TRD with the stroked engine, but that's just me.
LOL...I am a BMW driver and fan of cars alike, but this is just an ignorant comment...The srt8 is a real machine...have YOU ever driven one??? I'll wait for a response to continue....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
LOL...I am a BMW driver and fan of cars alike, but this is just an ignorant comment...The srt8 is a real machine...have YOU ever driven one??? I'll wait for a response to continue....
Personally I have never driven one. Just going off a comment that was given to me from an employee of a Jeep dealership. I kept up with jeep products for the last decade and you can't tell me with a straight face that Dodge has made them better? Dodge took their ideas and threw them onto Jeep's. It sucked. They dropped a Cherokee, threw a huge engine in it and some low profile 20's and called it a day. The thing gets like 8mpg. Dodge has slowly ruined the Jeep name.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The fuckin thing cost 40K. At that point buy yourself something wayyy better. Loading the thing pushes you to 50k.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

does that bad boy come with brembosssssssss
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
lionheart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Correct, regarding what dodge did with the srt8, but their entire line (srt8) is designed strictly for performance... and that is what is does...perform...in fact until the the most recent ml63 and new cheyanne turbo (both well above the 100k mark) it was the fastest suv in the world and at the time cost about 1/2 its competitors... has dodge softened up the jeep brand...the answer is no, have they changed it...Absolutely, for the better, that is subjective! I also agree the wrangler rubi is probably the only jeep I'd get, unless I was in a budget range and wanted a high performance kid hauler that could tow... Point is, the srt8 is a sick suv, money aside (probably the biggest value of all) it is a true performer and should be respected, especially by other high performance cars, 335 and m's included!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
lionheart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
does that bad boy come with brembosssssssss
Yes it does, and they are huge!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Let me ask you this lionheart. Have you ever been to a jeep offroading meet? Not something like a BMW meet, where you all stand around a group of cars and take pictures. I'm talking about being with 15+ Jeeps taring down trails and navigating rough terrain. Prolly not.

Well I have been. Ever notice that you don't see any of the new models except a wrangler lifted and trail ready? That's cuz they are no longer made of the same quality as they used to be. Nobody wants any of the junk jeep is pushing. The liberty, patriot, compass and commander are crap. Grand Cherokee is OK at best but a 50k gas guzzler with a dodge engine thrown in it isn't exactly the jeep mantra.

If you really want a jeep that is capable of anything. Get a Rubicon Wrangler with a hard top and save yourself the money.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
lionheart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

LOL...I am an internet manager at the largest Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership in the western region, so to anwser your question, YES I have been to many events, mabey just a few more than yourself, but rather than turn this into a pissing contest, I will agree with most of your argument, just not the manner in which you choose to present it, all cars are of value and some of greater to others and that is why there are so many choices...again I work for chrysler and drive BMW so you see...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

They are trash... You would be better off with an Infiniti FX45, I sure loved mine.
      11-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
LOL...I am an internet manager at the largest Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership in the western region, so to anwser your question, YES I have been to many events, mabey just a few more than yourself, but rather than turn this into a pissing contest, I will agree with most of your argument, just not the manner in which you choose to present it, all cars are of value and some of greater to others and that is why there are so many choices...again I work for chrysler and drive BMW so you see...
Well good then you understand me. I have been to many many jeep events, and loved the brotherhood. But it's just seem to have been lost in recent years. My family even had the first 2 generations of the Liberty and not even a year into out 2nd one my dad was itching to rid himself of that ticking bomb. Both were nothing but issues but we stuck with it cuz we thought maybe the 1st one was a fluke.

The jeep name was known for it's ruggedness, 4x4 system, off-road features. Now it's slowly being swung in the other direction. If people wanted a comfortable kid hauler with some speed they could have gotten a Durango Hemi, but Dodge couldn't stop there so the started blending the Dodge and Jeep lines. Walk through your showroom and look at all the similarities. But that's the american car makers way. Build 1 car, then rebadge it throughout the different lines.

Sure there are different cars for different people but the SRT8 is not going to save the jeep name. It's a nice car and a good bargain for the performance, BUT at 50k something better could be had.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Dodge didn't fuck over Jeep, DiamlerChrysler did that! Hopefully Chrysler LLC will bring the various brands back to life. The Wrangler is the only Jeep vehicle that is showing sales growth, which indicates that enthusiasts can drive sales volume. DiamlerChrysler didn't believe that, thinking Jeep buyers wanted "parking lot crawlers", thus the proliferation of crappy Jeep vehicles (Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty.)

Jeep was just fine with the Wrangler, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. The other Chrysler brands can pick up the other consumer needs. I always thought Chrysler was in a better position than GM because of the different model lines. Jeeps for 4x4 enthusiasts, Dodge for truck, minivan and mid-line sedan buyers and Chrysler for more upscale vehicles.

But DiamlerChrysler wanted "product line synergies", so they basically adopted the GM model: Every brand is basically the same car with styling cue changes, but the foundation is the same." That is how we wound up with the Jeep Liberty/Dodge Nitro abortion....

If Chrysler LLC can get back to the basics for their 3 brands, then I think they'll turn things around. Don't make 3 identical product lines with different brand plates, but have 3 different targets and differentiate the products among the brands. And I don't just mean changing the sheet metal....

My other vehicle is a Dodge Durango, a 2003 model before they fucked up the styling. I've owned many Dodge vehicles, and 1 Jeep. I liked Dodge, but I don't think there are many current cars or trucks that I'd buy. They've gone too overboard with the grill. The Dodge Challenger SRT8 looks to be a hot car though, but I'm sure it will be fast in a straight line but corner like a barge....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

SRT8 is garbage. Get an ML63 if you want a fast SUV.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #16
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I was looking at that but isnt it too flashy? Used ones are around 60+ which is also out of my price range
      11-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

ML63s are a bit much for a college kid haha. Dude, just get an FX or Touareg or something along those lines, use it for the first few years of college than get something faster, sexier and better.
      11-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I guess the main question is...

Are you financing this car yourself or your parents or both? What is the max you're willing to spend? Will you sell your 325i to get this other car?

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #19
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
If you really want to look at this rationally, you don't need AWD or an SUV. If it were me, I would get an AWD car before getting any SUV. When I travel through NE Ohio in the winter with all of its stupid amounts of snow, I see the highways littered with wrecked SUVs. No vehicle is invincible in the winter when it's piloted ignorantly.

You could get a used BMW x-model or Audi Quattro vehicle and save some money at the fuel pump. Although, my experience with the 328xi loaners shows me that I get better fuel economy in my PROceeded 335i, even though I am an extra-spirited driver. The benefits of an AWD drive car with a lower center of gravity than an SUV will make it safer. Of course, an SUV is capable of breaching large piles of snow, but if the snow is that high, you should reconsider driving in that weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #20
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I guess the main question is...

Are you financing this car yourself or your parents or both? What is the max you're willing to spend? Will you sell your 325i to get this other car?
The 325 is leased so thats out of the question. If its new it will be another lease and they will make the majority of payments with a percentage coming from me. Not sure exactly what the max is somwhere around (combined) 600 a month I guess, unless its a used car then around 50-55k.
      11-16-2007, 06:04 AM   #21
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
If you really want to look at this rationally, you don't need AWD or an SUV. If it were me, I would get an AWD car before getting any SUV. When I travel through NE Ohio in the winter with all of its stupid amounts of snow, I see the highways littered with wrecked SUVs. No vehicle is invincible in the winter when it's piloted ignorantly.

You could get a used BMW x-model or Audi Quattro vehicle and save some money at the fuel pump. Although, my experience with the 328xi loaners shows me that I get better fuel economy in my PROceeded 335i, even though I am an extra-spirited driver. The benefits of an AWD drive car with a lower center of gravity than an SUV will make it safer. Of course, an SUV is capable of breaching large piles of snow, but if the snow is that high, you should reconsider driving in that weather.
Its a small town where the college is located so im not really sure how they do with shoveling and plowing it out of the way. I really like the 335xi but dont think I'd get anywhere in it.
      11-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #22
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
Its a small town where the college is located so im not really sure how they do with shoveling and plowing it out of the way. I really like the 335xi but dont think I'd get anywhere in it.
With all seasons you would be fine in that, I got around in 6in of snow on 162, but as we discussed last night you may be better off with a small sporty SUV anyway.