E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Flex XC3401VRG - Take your results to the next level!

11-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Flex XC3401VRG - Take your results to the next level!

Introducing the Flex XC 3401 VRG
As an owner of Detailed Image, I consider myself very fortunate and privileged to be sent products from manufacturers around the world. The volume of products we receive is overwhelming at times, so it’s very difficult for products to really stand out. With that being said I was extremely excited to test the new Flex XC 3401 VRG orbital buffer and it blew me away with its polishing power, ease of use, functionality, design and best of all, RESULTS!

Flex Power Tools was founded in Germany in 1922 and we are very proud to be one of the first companies in the US to stock their buffers. Orbital buffers are generally very easy and safe to use, but they have limited cutting power when polishing to correct imperfections. Previously if you wanted more cutting power you needed to use a rotary buffer but these buffers can easily burn right through the clear coat and they take a long time to master. The Flex XC 3401 VRG combines the best of both worlds to give you the perfect balance of strong cutting power and safe buffing. With this buffer you’ll be able to get a near flawless finish when polishing and still apply your favorite sealant or wax with ease.

My first impressions of the buffer
The buffer feels relatively light and very solid as any good buffer should. It’s listed as weighing 5.75lbs which is exactly the same as the PC. I'm extremely pleased with the location of the two grips, primarily the top one. My right hand is placed low, near the trigger and my left hand is above the pad (approximately 3.5 inches) so your hands are at 6 and 12. With the PC (no handle) and rotary buffers I typically have my hands in a similar but slightly different position. My right hand is typically towards the bottom of the buffer and my left hand is typically positioned directly on top of the spindle applying downward force. This leaves my hands at 6 and 12 but I'm far more likely to exert pressure more towards the bottom of the buffer. With the Flex design your hands are more evenly spaced out above and below the spindle so you are more likely to exert even pressure across the pad.

Using the Flex XC 3401 VRG
The buffer sounds about as loud as the PC, with less rattling. It feels far more powerful than the PC and almost impossible to bog down. When moving from speed 1 to 6 (min - max) it doesn't increase in volume to the extent the PC does. I found it relatively easy to handle and move smoothly around the surface. It's slightly more challenging to use around trim, but manageable with a little care. I started off with the Power Gloss and a 6.5" Yellow Cutting Pad. I set the speed to 6 but I held the trigger down lightly to help me spread the product first, then I clenched the trigger tight for full power and locked it in. It worked the polish in so well that I stopped after four passes with the Flex because of how clear the polish looked. Typically with a PC I would have applied more pressure and done 6 - 10 passes to get the polish to look that thin and clear. The Flex easily delivered more cutting power in less time, I was thoroughly impressed. After removing the left over polish I was impressed at how well it removed the imperfections with minimal hazing. While on speed 6 it has a slight tendency to want to take off on you, like a rotary buffer, but not nearly to the same extent. When you position the buffer right and adjust your stance you can control it with ease. To watch our video of the Flex buffer in action please visit the Detailed Image Flex XC3401 VRG product page and scroll down to the end of the description. The video documents the ease of use and strong cutting power from just four passes over a small area.

Flex XC 3401 vs. Porter Cable 7424
The Flex XC3401 VRG and Porter Cable 7424 have some similarities and differences that are outlined below. Both buffers move in a random orbit or oscillating motion, designed to replicate a hand buffing motion. They are both approximately 5.75lbs and use a six inch Velcro backing plate. The Porter Cable 7424 requires you to purchase an aftermarket backing plate while the Flex buffer comes with a built in 6” Velcro backing plate. Both buffers are typically used with 6.5 inch pads while they can use most Velcro pads over 6 inches. This means that most pads used with the Porter Cable 7424 will be compatible with the Flex buffer. The Porter Cable 7424 has a speed dial that is the only means of adjusting the speed. The Flex buffer has a speed dial which sets the maximum speed you can reach with the variable speed trigger. Hold the trigger down lightly and it will operate at low OPMs and squeeze it tightly to reach the maximum OPMs relative to what speed you have the dial on. If you wan the buffer to operate at the maximum OPMs, relative to what you set the speed dial to, you can lock in the trigger so you don’t have to continuously hold it. The Flex XC 3401 VRG has over 60% more power than the Porter Cable 7424 (9,600 OPMs vs. 6,000 OPMs). This allows the Flex buffer to give you more cutting power to remove deeper imperfections. The additional power will help ensure your buffer will not bog down under moderate to heavy pressure. Both buffers have a detachable handle, but the Flex buffers handle is positioned directly over the buffer as opposed to on the side. The design of the buffer puts your hands at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock, so your hands are equidistant from the middle of the buffer, which helps you evenly distribute pressure. The even distribution of pressure really helps you work in the polish and get optimal results. Compare the specifications of the Flex, Porter Cable and UDM below:

Comparing Buffers
Flex XC 3401 VRG - $264.99
Power input 900 Watts (7.5 amps)
Power output 590 Watts
Rotary RPM: 160-480
Orbital OPM: 3200-9600
Recommended pad size 6.5"
Velcro back plate (included)
Weight 5.75 lbs

Porter Cable 7424 - $109.99
Motor Amps 3.7
OPM 2,500-6,000
Recommended pad size 6.5"
6" Velcro back plate (+$19.99)
Weight 5.75 lbs.

Ultimate Detailing Machine 7424 - $150
Motor Amps 4.2
OPM 2,500-6,000
Pad size 6"
Velcro back plate (4.75” included)

From left to right Makita 9227C Rotary, Flex XC 3401 VRG, Porter Cable 7424

Additional Features
The Flex buffer also comes with many other technological advancements that make it one of the premier buffers on the market. Flex uses seven-fold microprocessor electronics: with consistent speed control by tachometer generator, soft start, accelerator trigger switch, restart protection after power interruption, overload protection, temperature monitoring, and speed selection. The oscillating motion moves the buffer precisely 8mm during one orbit. The handle is removable and easy to hold so you can detail for hours with no problems. Quality shut-off carbon brushes: if the carbon brushes wear down, the motor will be automatically switched off and thus protected from damage. There is spindle lock to prevent damage as well. It also comes with a 13 foot power cord and the Flex red plug. The Flex buffers come with a one year warranty and service centers across the US and Europe. This helps ensure that you’ll be using this high quality buffer for years to come.

The best deals on the Flex XC 3401 VRG
Right now Detailed Image is proud to offer two outstanding deals on the Flex XC 3401 buffer. Detailed Image is selling the Flex buffer for $264.99. We are also offering members of Detail University a special offer where you get the Flex buffer and your choice of the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish or the Menzerna PO106FF for just $299.99! Check Detail University to view more details on this offer, what others have to say and a Flex XC3401VRG vs. PC 7424 comparison.

The review explains how we were able to go from this:

To this:

We are very excited about the Flex and the impact it will have on the detailing community. We believe that this buffer will help detailers achieve results that could only be achieved with a rotary buffer, but much safer and easier to use.

Thanks for reading!

George
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Heard great things about this. Just ordered it from you
Hopefully I can get it by the end of the week to add to my collection of rotaries and PCs

Last edited by Takumi587; 11-11-2007 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I'm going to do a review on this for George soon; seems like a very good machine especially for folks who don't want to deal with the dangers a rotary poses.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
335i_Danny
Casual Observer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Is there any added benefit to this machine for someone who already owns a rotary and PC 7424?

It seems like a great product for someone who doesn't own a buffer of any kind, but $265 is a tough pill to swallow for someone that already has the cutting power of a rotary and a reasonable facsimile in the PC7424. Thanks for the in depth review.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

seems awesome and I'm sure it is but I'm pretty happy with my current PC, maybe I'll change my mind once people start posting reviews on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Picus, make sure you mention what you pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_Danny View Post
Is there any added benefit to this machine for someone who already owns a rotary and PC 7424?

It seems like a great product for someone who doesn't own a buffer of any kind, but $265 is a tough pill to swallow for someone that already has the cutting power of a rotary and a reasonable facsimile in the PC7424. Thanks for the in depth review.
I'd be interested in how you feel about this George. I love my PC, but would it be necessary to upgrade? I seem to get borderline great results out of the PC, but that higher RPM has me thinking that I could really cut through the tougher trouble spots.

How bout a discount if we trade in our lightly used PC7424??

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I'd be interested in how you feel about this George. I love my PC, but would it be necessary to upgrade? I seem to get borderline great results out of the PC, but that higher RPM has me thinking that I could really cut through the tougher trouble spots.

that would be awesome lol if the price wasn't so high I'd probably buy one.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I think the ones that will buy this are Detailer's or simply detailing enthusiasts. I started with a PC and moved onto a Metabo Rotary and it was such a major difference from a PC to Rotary. And now I want to add more to my polishing collection and this happens to be one of them. I am a detailer and an obessive detailing enthusiasts.
I will most likely post a thread on my review of the Flex and include the metabo, and PC. Honestly though my PC is only used for carpets or putting on sealant or wax. The PC does not even work out all the imperfections unless you work on the car for over 12 hours.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
335i_Danny
Casual Observer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
The PC does not even work out all the imperfections unless you work on the car for over 12 hours.
I think you might see some better results with the PC if you work on your technique a little bit. I prefer not to take out a rotary unless completely necessary. If you slip or a pad fails on you (i've seen a couple autopia posts of a ripped pad) you can quickly burn through paint. I can do most details in a reasonable amount of time without the use of a rotary. Come to think of it, I've only used my rotary the last 6 months to go over wet sanding marks from scratch/rock chip repair.

If this new orbital buffer actually works that much better and is powerful enough to work with some of the more abrasive polishes, I would definitely consider it because it would allow me to use my rotary less and less, which is my personal goal. Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Heard great things about this. Just ordered it from you
Hopefully I can get it by the end of the week to add to my collection of rotaries and PCs
Thanks for the order Takumi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the unit once you get a chance to try it out. We greatly appreciate your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I'm going to do a review on this for George soon; seems like a very good machine especially for folks who don't want to deal with the dangers a rotary poses.
I'm very interested to hear your thoughts comparing the Flex to a rotary in terms of ease of use, power, results, etc.

Quote:

Danny, you bring up a great question which I think a lot of other members have in the back of their mind as well. If someone properly takes care of their vehicles from day 1 and imperfections are minimized, then a PC may have enough power to handle any type of paint correction. The problem is there are always things like water spots, bird dropping etching, scratches from parking lots or passengers, etc. that the PC may or may not be able to tackle.

One of the biggest upsides to the Flex that I see is you can correct the same imperfections in about half the time as a PC. Beyond that, you are able to correct deeper imperfections than the PC and truly strive for a imperfection free finish, like a skilled rotary user could. The Flex seems to break down polishes completely in about 4 overlapping passes, where with the PC, I usually need between 6 - 10 overlapping passes.

The ergonomics seem to be a lot more appealing on the Flex. The hand positioning, the variable speed trigger, the speed lock feature and a longer cord are all benefits the Flex has over the PC. If you are used to using a rotary buffer, the Flex will come very natural to you. Also, the vibrations on the Flex doesn't give you that tingling feeling a PC does, so for longer polishing sessions it is less stressful on your body.

When it comes to deeper paint correction, these units are night and day. The PC at full speed is the same as running the Flex on speed setting 3.5 or so (3 is 5400 OPM and 4 is 6600 OPM, the PC is 6000 OPM Max). The biggest difference is in the motors. The PC draws 3.7 Amps vs 7.5 Amps with the Flex. The PC can bog pretty easily with some moderate pressure under full load, I've yet to bog down the Flex even with 20+ lbs of pressure, even under full load.

I guess in summary, the Flex will save you time and energy when polishing, it's easy to control (both in moving the buffer and controlling the speed with the variable speed trigger), and it has the power when needed to correct deeper imperfections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Kevin happens to be stopping by to try the unit, not purchase it. Cost to Kevin, $0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
that would be awesome lol if the price wasn't so high I'd probably buy one.
A common theme of our current Flex customers is that they are selling their PC's to close friends or relatives, or putting them up for sale on forums or ebay. I'm not sure what used PCs go for but I'd imagine they hold most of their value.

"I seem to get borderline great results out of the PC, but that higher RPM has me thinking that I could really cut through the tougher trouble spots."

The Flex would give you the ability to break through the "borderline great results" and get you to that next level of exceptional results without worry of damaging your paints finish with a rotary.

Great questions by everyone. Thanks for the feedback.

George
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you might see some better results with the PC if you work on your technique a little bit. I prefer not to take out a rotary unless completely necessary. If you slip or a pad fails on you (i've seen a couple autopia posts of a ripped pad) you can quickly burn through paint. I can do most details in a reasonable amount of time without the use of a rotary. Come to think of it, I've only used my rotary the last 6 months to go over wet sanding marks from scratch/rock chip repair.

If this new orbital buffer actually works that much better and is powerful enough to work with some of the more abrasive polishes, I would definitely consider it because it would allow me to use my rotary less and less, which is my personal goal. Looking forward to your review.

Ya sorry about that I was adding on hours on washing and claying. For polishing it probably takes over 8 hours to polish out imperfections with a PC for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ya sorry about that I was adding on hours on washing and claying. For polishing it probably takes over 8 hours to polish out imperfections with a PC for me.
I get burned out after 2-3 hours of polishing. I just can't do 2+ coats of a cutting polish, then back everything down. That just takes too much time. I usually only do 1 overall coat of polish then walk around and spot other areas that stand out then back everything down.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I don't pay for anything I get from George; I send him bj's through the mail in return.

In all seriousness, I do get a discount, but that's because I order something like $6,000 in products a year from him.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I don't pay for anything I get from George; I send him bj's through the mail in return.

In all seriousness, I do get a discount, but that's because I order something like $6,000 in products a year from him.
Picus, license your name. George will pay you to endorse products he sells. With the "Picus Approved" label, George's sales will soar!

Name:  bkFX_l602vr_g.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  191.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Haha ^^

You know, George and I have actually spoken about that (not me endorsing stuff he sells), but the issue of people perceiving that I am endorsing something for some sort of compensation. All I can say is that I've never done it and never will. Of the vets over at Autopia, I am one of the guys that's never really promoted any product line for any reason. I am all about the process achieving results; I use what I like and let other people use what they like. I have written a few product reviews, and most of them have been negative.

I am going to review the Flex, and will just tell it exactly how I see it from a usage perspective. I am primarily a rotary user, so it's going to have a tough time impressing me. I've never really had much interest in RO's at all, tbh.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Great deal on the Flex! Amazing machine if you want to stay away from rotaries. (RX7's)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
Great deal on the Flex! Amazing machine if you want to stay away from rotaries. (RX7's)
Flex price has increased since this thread of around 2 years ago... Still a great machine though!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #19
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Flex price has increased since this thread of around 2 years ago... Still a great machine though!
Oops yeah...I started searching through google and now I realized I inadvertently bumped some really old threads haha.

Either way, great price considering 2 years of economic changes!
Appreciate 0