BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Paramagnetic paint lets you change your car's color on a whim

11-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
hulkmax
Fear knocked, Hope opened, but no one was there...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 335i E90 6MT w/SSK

Paramagnetic paint lets you change your car's color on a whim

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/09/p...lor-on-a-whim/
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/08/d...h-of-a-button/

Sure, the whole "temporary vehicle paint" idea was a fine concept if you adored hassles, but Nissan's got a much cleaner approach for those who appreciate easy. Yep, the same folks who dreamed up that self-healing paint some two years back are now talking up their paramagnetic concoction, which purportedly enables motorists to change the color of their ride at the press of a button. The secret is a "special polymer containing paramagnetic iron oxide particles," which is applied to the whip's exterior; an "applied electric current then adjusts the spacing of small crystals within the iron oxide particles, and therefore affects their ability to reflect light and change color." Essentially, vehicles could rock a default color when turned off, and then your imagination could go wild once you turned over the ignition. If all goes well, expect to see commercial applications ready to roll by the time Fast and the Furious: 10 Times 2 Many hits theaters (or 2010, whichever comes first).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Cool stuff, I will have to try to turn my buddy's rear bumper pink when he's not looking.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
hmmm... so am I the only ones who first thoughts are "this makes it easier to get away from a cop"? Press a button and change your white car to black.
      11-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
hmmm... so am I the only ones who first thoughts are "this makes it easier to get away from a cop"? Press a button and change your white car to black.
Nope.

-Nathan
      11-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkmax View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/09/p...lor-on-a-whim/
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/08/d...h-of-a-button/

Sure, the whole "temporary vehicle paint" idea was a fine concept if you adored hassles, but Nissan's got a much cleaner approach for those who appreciate easy. Yep, the same folks who dreamed up that self-healing paint some two years back are now talking up their paramagnetic concoction, which purportedly enables motorists to change the color of their ride at the press of a button. The secret is a "special polymer containing paramagnetic iron oxide particles," which is applied to the whip's exterior; an "applied electric current then adjusts the spacing of small crystals within the iron oxide particles, and therefore affects their ability to reflect light and change color." Essentially, vehicles could rock a default color when turned off, and then your imagination could go wild once you turned over the ignition. If all goes well, expect to see commercial applications ready to roll by the time Fast and the Furious: 10 Times 2 Many hits theaters (or 2010, whichever comes first).
You know the ricers would rig it so that it changes every .2 seconds. Ever since this started hitting commercial markets in bathrooms I knew it was only a matter of time till they proposed it for cars. It wont happen though since the environmental guidelines are too strict for paint jobs.
      11-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
I am sure the cops will love this....in pursuit of a red-blue-green-yellow-pokadot....awww..screw it...in pursuit of a car.

EDIT - of course, I noticed that someone beat me to the punch...ohwell
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 black sapphire coupe JB+

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
You would never be able to get pulled, just have a switch that disengages your brake lights. Then when a cop tags you with his radar, punch it pull as far away as possible and change your color!!! AWESOME...but I still like black.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crutch 325i View Post
I am sure the cops will love this....in pursuit of a red-blue-green-yellow-pokadot....awww..screw it...in pursuit of a car.

EDIT - of course, I noticed that someone beat me to the punch...ohwell
yup, this might be the greatest invention for real criminals in a long time.

I remember there was a movie with Bruce Willis where he was trying to assasinate the President's wife, and he had to keep repainting his car. THis would have helped him a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post

I remember there was a movie with Bruce Willis where he was trying to assasinate the President's wife, and he had to keep repainting his car. THis would have helped him a bit more.
Actually, it had a layer of wash-away paint on the exterior...all he had to do was hose it down. Better not drive through any puddles on the way to the crime though! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post

Yeah, The Jackal...