E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange Key Fob Problem

02-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
kenbrinkman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi

Garage List
Strange Key Fob Problem

My car/key has developed a weird issue with unlocking and locking. Over the weekend I noticed that my primary fob seemingly was dead because it wouldn't lock or unlock the car. I have CA, so when I got close enough to the car it would still unlock about 50% of the time I tried to get in. Since the CA keys have user replaceable 2032 batteries, that was the first thing I tried. Replacement battery in, no dice. Same issue as before. What's weirder is that if I press the unlock button quick enough (10-15 repeated presses) the interior lights will fade on, but still no door unlock. But it must have some communication with the car.

Luckily, my secondary fob that came with the car works as it should, so I started using that this morning. I'll try to crack open the non-functioning fob to see if there's any visible damage, but beyond that I think that the fob might have bit the dust. Have any of you experienced anything similar? Is there a "re-associating" process to rejoin the car and the fob for the E92? Could that be a potential issue? Let me know what you guys think.
Appreciate 0