F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How hard is it to retrofit pro nav?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

How hard is it to retrofit pro nav?

Looked on eBay earlier and saw there's loads of pro nav units available for around £500 including GPS antenna. How difficult is it to retrofit? Also the majority of them have the old iDrive controller, even older than the iDrive controller fitted to the standard iDrive that I have fitted. To get one with the touch pad it's about £1000. Not worth extra £500 in my eyes. Would the old iDrive fit a 2013 F30? What sort of installation and coding is required?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Ask Steddyman as he's just done it. From what I've read, it's not for the faint-hearted....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
Looked on eBay earlier and saw there's loads of pro nav units available for around £500 including GPS antenna. How difficult is it to retrofit? Also the majority of them have the old iDrive controller, even older than the iDrive controller fitted to the standard iDrive that I have fitted. To get one with the touch pad it's about £1000. Not worth extra £500 in my eyes. Would the old iDrive fit a 2013 F30? What sort of installation and coding is required?

Cheers!
There is a huge thread about it here:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921688
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like an absolute nightmare! Think I'll probably give it a miss!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

omg I' m afraid they lost me at "remove your dash". I was crap at lego as a child I think I'll use a map!
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

It's not hard at all. That thread makes it look a lot worse because it includes people coming from the old CIC Nav.

I can probably do it in about an hour now i've done it, but it depends on what spec your car is and when it was manufactured.

I can remove the Dash and have the radio out, access the back and put it back in under 10 minutes. No risk at all. Very easy to do.

And yes, the old iDrive (so long as it is still NBT) will fit a new car. My NBT is from 2012. You can even use your existing No Nav controller if you wish. If you want a Nav controller then it does need to be the Touch version.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

You could do it in an hour? How much is your hourly rate?!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Haha, not enough. I've considered doing it for other users but the big issue is warranty. I am prepared to take the risks on my car, but on somebody else's?

Again complexity entirely depends on what you are coming from and the exact spec of what you are going to.

The other thing to watch out for on UK cars besides the Touch, is very few NBT's come from the UK so most don't have DAB.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
Firecrest
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

Thanks, great info steddyman, I've always wanted to have it but at the time £2k was pushing it as I was on max budget anyway. I've a sept 2013 318d se which has no nav (has dab), what bits would I need and roughly how much? I've seen kits on ebay for about £500-600 some even £800, just difficult to know which one.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Any chance we can get a condensed guide for those coming from HU_ENTRY to NBT? The other thread does sound like a total nightmare, running cables all over the place, no audio sound etc etc.

I never bothered ordering nav because it's only used for ferrying kids to school and weekend driving. I'd might be tempted to retro fit the NBT providing it's not too complex; plus the standard screen does look a bit too small. I'd be happy if I could just fit the larger screen with no nav!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Any chance we can get a condensed guide for those coming from HU_ENTRY to NBT? The other thread does sound like a total nightmare, running cables all over the place, no audio sound etc etc.

I never bothered ordering nav because it's only used for ferrying kids to school and weekend driving. I'd might be tempted to retro fit the NBT providing it's not too complex; plus the standard screen does look a bit too small. I'd be happy if I could just fit the larger screen with no nav!
Me too! If I retrofit bigger screen will I be able to get the torque dials etc? Is Internet just a matter of coding or do you need another part to be able to use Internet?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

I'm sure you need to Nav unit for the sport dials, you can code them to be displayed but they don't do anything (I've tried). Same goes for internet.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, here is a condensed guide but only if you are coming from HU_Entry and do not have a Combox in your boot (which is required for the Enhanced Bluetooth option on HU_Entry).

This is assuming a RHD drive car (e.g. UK) and you can reference the other thread for pictures (for now). I have taken a video of this process so I will try and get that edited and uploaded at some point.

What you will need:

* T20 screwdriver - for removing all screws
* Flat ice scraper or simpler blunt edge - for removing bottom trim
* NBT Head unit. Must be for the F30 and not the F10 or any other car
* New NBT bigger screen
* External GPS Module specific for cars
* iDrive controller
* Navigation Emulator
* BMW ENET cable for coding
* Laptop for coding

I got a German NBT from a UK seller on eBay for about £650. It came with the NBT (no DAB), normal iDrive Nav controller (not touch), Screen, Screen cable and External GPS. This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2213434292...84.m1439.l2649

Warning, if your car has a manufacturing date of 07/2013 or later it will not work with the normal iDrive Nav controller. It will only work with the newer iDrive Touch controllers so I had to source another. The reason for this is the newer cars without (and with) Nav come with a new controller that uses the K-CAN2 protocol which is what the Touch controller uses. The older iDrive Nav controllers are K-CAN1 and even though the cable is the same they are not compatible. You can use your original No Nav controller just fine with the NBT, it is missing a couple of buttons but you can always press the Menu button to get to those functions. I don't have the Touch functions working yet as that needs another module costing £52 that I am waiting delivery from BMW on.

The Navigation Emulator sits between the NBT and the car and tells the NBT that the VIN of the car is what is in the NBT and tells the car the VIN of the NBT is what is in the car. Without this the Navigation / Apps / Voice FSC codes on the NBT will not work and so these features will be disabled. You can also Flash the NBT with your cars VIN and then you won't need the Emulator but the FSC codes are much more expensive than the Emulator. Example Emulator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3212768442...84.m1439.l2649

I bought an ENET cable from eBay for £25 but it was rubbish. Takes about 5 attempts to get it connected. I had these ones made up myself and they work first time every time (good fit):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2613889260...84.m1555.l2649

HU_Entry Removal

* First of all you need to remove the Dash trim. Very easy just pull up on the edge closest to the wheel and move across to the left. Once pulled away from dash there are just two connectors on the back that need pulling away then this piece came be put aside.
* Next you need to remove the bottom trim piece above the cup holder. I just used an ice scraper to pry the top away, takes seconds. Then unplug the little LED light cable holding it in place.
* Next you need to remove the air conditioning controls. Very simple, just unscrew the 4 x T20 screws in each corner then unplug the single connector on the back.
* Now you can see the HU_Entry in all it's glory, held in by another 2 x T20 screws. Remove those and pull the radio out

Now you are at the business end of the process where you need to disconnect and reconnect cables.

* Remove all the round FAKRA connectors on the back of the radio. There is a tab on them that you need to press to remove. These have just two connections, inner and outer pin
* Remove the HSD connections. These look like the FAKRA connections but they have multiple pins in the middle. The USB plug is one of these
* Remove the big radio harness connector. This is the big square one on the back. Just life the handle from the bottom and it pulls out

With that done, the HU_Entry can be removed. Now to remove the old screen.

* Unscrew the 2 x T20 screws on the bottom of the screen being careful not to lets the screws drop into the dash. Use a magnetic screwdriver
* Lift the screen up and feed the old screen cable out from the Dash

Installing the new screen:

* Insert the new pink screen cable to the new bigger screen
* Feed the screen cable behind the screen and into the dash. Feed the screen wire back down to where the NBT will be, there is plenty of space
* Push the screen down into the sockets for the two legs. These are not the original holes the smaller screen used but are already installed and are further forwards
* Screw the screen back in with the two screws

Installing the NBT:

* Reconnect all the Fakra connections to the same coloured connections on the NBT
* Reconnect all the HSD connections to the same coloured connections on the NBT, except the white USB one
* The White USB HSD is keyed differently and is one of the only tricky bits. You need to shave off the little sticky out bits that prevent this cable going in, then turn it 180 degrees and insert it into the NBT
* Plug the original square cable bundle from the HU_Entry into the socket on the Navigation Emulator
* Remove the black / green 2 wire MOST connector from the top corner of the square connector on your original square cable bundle. Be careful not to break this, there is a little tab at the top you just need to lift up with a flat screwdriver or your nails and it pops right out
* Insert this MOST cable into the same place in the other end of the Navigation Emulator which goes into the NBT.
* Plug the other end of the Navigation Emulator into the NBT and push the lever down until it snaps into place
* Feed the connector on your new GPS antenna through either the passenger or driver side vents (from the from) and down to the NBT. I used the top far left section of the passenger one
* Plug in your external GPS antenna to the NBT

You are almost there now. What I would do now is turn on your ignition and start the engine and check the NBT comes on. You will probably get no sound at this stage until the NBT has been coded for your car. The reason for this is the configured speaker system in the NBT may not match your car. For me I got nothing, but the NBT came on and worked. It would probably make sense to code the car at this stage so you can get the sound working before you reassemble. I'll summarise the coding tomorrow.

Putting it back together:

* Just a reverse of what you did.
* The Emulator needs to get out of the way of the NBT so you can push it back. I push the little black box down and below where the radio will sit and the other end of the cable down and to the right. Just find space out of the way behind the radio
* Push the NBT back into place and it should just go back easily without any force
* Secure the NBT using the top two holes and 2 x T20 screws the HU_Entry was using. The NBT has 4 screw holes but you don't have enough screws and it is very secure with only two.
* Plug back in the Air Con controls using the single plug then screw it back into place using the 4 x T20 screws you took out
* Plug in the two connectors to the big dash trim and reinsert the dash starting from the left and side and working your way right. Just push it and it clips back into place
* Secure the GPS cable. It can actually just be held by the edge of the screen. I then velcro'd the tiny module onto the Dash under the window

iDrive Controller (optional):

* Pull up the trim piece that the iDrive controller is seated in. There is a little gap at the base abutting the gear leaver controls. I just carefully prised a screw driver into that and lifted gently
* Once up, unplug the 4 pin connector from the old iDrive controller
* Remove the 3 x T20 screws holding it in and remove it
* Insert your new Nav controller and reinstall the three screws
* Clip the trim piece back into place

Remember the Touch functions will not work. I believe that needs an additional module with part number: 65829338800. I should have mine in about a week and will update this post with the info then.

So, it looks long and complicated but it really isn't and doesn't take all that long.
Appreciate 5
      02-06-2014, 04:20 AM   #14
Firecrest
Private
Rep

Thanks for such a great guide, it's very helpful and bookmark it until suitable equipment turns up.

Look forward to seeing how to do the coding, I take it you lost the dab, wouldn't be too much of an issue for me. I assume the shark fine Ariel the three series comes with has nothing in it, you'd need to locate and purchase the GPS Ariel. Once again thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #15
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, no DAB on mine. I haven't missed it to be honest because the FM radio still reads the channel and programme data and the channels not on FM are available to me via TuneIn radio which is supported by BMW Apps.

I don't think the Shark Fin has anything in it unless you have a Combox and Telematics. There is no cable for it behind the HU_Entry.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #16
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

So just to clarify, I currently have a 2014 F30 with no nav, just the basic iDrive with nothing else. Would one of the pro nav units on eBay be a straight swap? I understand I'd lose DAB. Am I able to use my current iDrive turn wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #17
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

On this listing on eBay it has the new touchpad too. It also says if more than one unit is bought they offer big discounts! Possible group buy?

http://bit.ly/1cXQlBV
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, pretty much a straight swap as above and you can use your existing controller.

The one you listed on eBay will work just fine too but has no DAB. However, it comes with the iDrive controller but not the Touch Controller module it requires for Gestures. I ordered mine direct from my BMW dealer as mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

You mentioned an emulator on your original post, on eBay it's about £120. Do I need this too?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #20
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
You mentioned an emulator on your original post, on eBay it's about £120. Do I need this too?
Yes. I state that above and gave you a link to the one I purchased which I know works.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Yes. I state that above and gave you a link to the one I purchased which I know works.
Ok thanks, I'll have a think about it. If I set some time aside to do it and ran out of time and needed to use the car in the meantime. Would the car still run or would it be immobilised? Might be a stupid question but I'm just thinking the car might think the radio has been stolen or something!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Firecrest
Private
Rep

Great, final bits of info for me, the gps antenna, is it neat and out of the way? I assume cars that come with pro Nav from the factory have these placed in the roof for better signal, with it not being there is it going to pick up the satellite signal as we'll or am I not understanding something.

I'm asking as one of my main issues with my tom tom is it takes forever (sometimes) to pick up a signal, never had that with built in Nav.

Did you only lose dab, I assume DVD playback and album art, uk navigation is all present?

Thanks
Appreciate 0