Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Setup: BMW Style 189 on an E90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Winter Setup: BMW Style 189 on an E90

I thought it may be helpful to post a few pics of my winter setup for anyone looking to see what BMW style 189 wheels look like on an E90. The wheels are staggered 189s (18x8 and 18x8.5). The tires are a square setup, 225 all around, Pirelli Sottozero 240 (non-runflat). The 225 width tire on an 8.5 inch wheel does have a slightly stretched look, but I think the importance of narrower (and evenly sized) snow tires outweighs my dislike of stretched looking tire. I considered buying four front wheels at 8 inch width (189s), but was worried the offset in the back would look weird and wanted the option of putting a staggered summer tire on this wheel set down the road (if new England winters don’t shred the wheels). In any event, the square tires on staggered rims has worked well so far.

The Sottozero’s have been great. I think they’re every bit as good as my Blizzaks (LMs). For urban/suburban driving this rear wheel drive setup with snow tires is perfectly capable, certainly better in the snow than all wheel drive with all seasons. Dry grip is not as good, but it's hard to tell how much of that is related to the narrower rear tires (what I notice more than anything is that I light up the traction control much more in the warm weather with these snows). They also give the steering a slightly squishy feel, but well within reason for a snow tire.

I apologize for the poor pictures, but for the purpose of showing what these wheels look like on a four door I hope they serve the purpose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Not bad lookin at all...get some spacers on there and it will look even better!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 335i

Looks great!!

In Winter Mode - Dunlop Wintersport 3D/Sport Edition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

I agree that spacers on the rear would lessen the tucked look caused by the skinny tires on the back, but it's just not something I've got around too, and at this point I'm willing to make that concession to winter. Also, I must say that the angle of one of the pictures exaggerates the tucked look on the back (but spacers would be better regardless).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I think spacers front + back would make it look MUCH better. It looks sunken in on the front axle as well. This is probably exaggerated given the fat spokes and because these are 18s (instead of 17s) though.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
toykia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2008

thanks! i was just wondering how my 189's would look on square set up 225.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #7
BMWE90 ModMaster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW's

looks good for winter set up.
Appreciate 0