E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Android in dash system?

12-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Bimmerman_87
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi black

Android in dash system?

Has anyone tried out this double din system for the e9X.... Or what are your thoughts on this?

http://www.andrive.co.uk/android_bmw_e90.php
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Search "dynavin"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

I rather get a touch screen and do a rasberry pi
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

My advice is to stay far from any permanently installed android (or mobile) based system into your car. Hardware development moves too fast (the Cortex A5 processor and only 1G or ram is already behind the current latest devices much less 6 months from now) and its not like a windows pc where you can just buy and install the latest software. The system in the link is still running 4.04 ICS. the most current Android is Android 4.4 kit kat. Unless this headunit is a nexus (which it obviously isn't) or a device with unlockable bootloader and popular enough to be rooted and developed (clearly this head unit wont qualify) you will be stuck with 4.04 forever or at the mercy of the company deciding to update it.
If you want android in your car install a mount, plug your android phone into the input jack and turn on blue tooth and there you go...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
My advice is to stay far from any permanently installed android (or mobile) based system into your car. Hardware development moves too fast (the Cortex A5 processor and only 1G or ram is already behind the current latest devices much less 6 months from now) and its not like a windows pc where you can just buy and install the latest software. The system in the link is still running 4.04 ICS. the most current Android is Android 4.4 kit kat. Unless this headunit is a nexus (which it obviously isn't) or a device with unlockable bootloader and popular enough to be rooted and developed (clearly this head unit wont qualify) you will be stuck with 4.04 forever or at the mercy of the company deciding to update it.
If you want android in your car install a mount, plug your android phone into the input jack and turn on blue tooth and there you go...
Solid advice!

get a mount that utilizes the CD tray, they are cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Bimmerman_87
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi black

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
I'm looking for a in dash navigation system... I didn't get my e90 with the idrive so I want something that can pretty much do everything all in one... Any suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '18 X1, '21 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
+1
Appreciate 0