F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > DSC off really off?
proTUNING Freaks

12-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

DSC off really off?

I've noticed that the car will allow as much yaw as you want in lower speed maneuvers with the dsc off. Anyone know what kind of intervention is triggered at higher speeds? I felt a brake cut in during some lift throttle oversteer in a higher speed corner and am curious if the dsc is not fully defeatable or if that was just some kind of brake-biasing that xDrive uses to apportion power
      12-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2015, Audi Q7 2017

Hi Richbot, I read somewhere that the dsc is not fully deactivated in Sport+. Are you referring to that setting or to when you manually turn off the dsc? I don't have the answer to either question , but was wondering about it too.

I haven't done any really 'spirited' driving with our GT. How does it behave overall? My impression from taking some bends at autobahn speeds was that the limits seemed higher than what the chassis feel suggests, if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Manually off. Sport + just reduces wheelspin intervention but will still jump in for yaw if you don't hold down the dsc button even at low speeds. I want to know what kind of intervention is going on with dsc off at higher speeds because if it's not really fully defeatable that's good information to have

Body roll belies the balance. Much better chassis balance than our outgoing e90335xi. That car stubbornly refused to rotate unless it was low grip or a really severe input. The GT is a much better dance partner. Likely a byproduct of the rearward weight bias, where the E90 was about 53% front

The steering feel really is effin terrible though. The road feedback comes through the seat and your eyeballs only when at the limit

Last edited by Richbot; 12-10-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Manually off. Sport + just reduces wheelspin intervention but will still jump in for yaw if you don't hold down the dsc button even at low speeds. I want to know what kind of intervention is going on with dsc off at higher speeds because if it's not really fully defeatable that's good information to have

Body roll belies the balance. Much better chassis balance than our outgoing e90335xi. That car stubbornly refused to rotate unless it was low grip or a really severe input. The GT is a much better dance partner. Likely a byproduct of the rearward weight bias, where the E90 was about 53% front

The steering feel really is effin terrible though. The road feedback comes through the seat and your eyeballs only when at the limit
Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Germancarnut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's good to know that the actual chassis balance seems decent. I wonder though why there is that much body roll? Does it come with the higher ride height or is it more or less intentionally set-up that way, with comfort being the focus. The first thing I do after starting the car is switching to sport mode. It would be nice if the car remembered...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancarnut
It's good to know that the actual chassis balance seems decent. I wonder though why there is that much body roll? Does it come with the higher ride height or is it more or less intentionally set-up that way, with comfort being the focus. The first thing I do after starting the car is switching to sport mode. It would be nice if the car remembered...
Body roll is certainly a center of gravity and chassis tuning thing. They obviously went softer than most car geeks would prefer, perplexing when you consider the car also gets an extra 1/2" of sidewall compliance in the tires relative to the other F3x chassis. Ah well. It does ride nice.
      07-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Interesting. So, yesterday just farting around in the car, put it in sport plus then turned off dsc. In manual mode it would then allow me to hit the rev limiter at wot, whereas under normal conditions, (dsc on) even in manual mode, it will up shift automatically. Anyone else noticed this? Maybe something already known about the 8speed in other chassis but whatever, kindof nice you get a little control back. The old 6-speeds would not allow rev limiter and would auto up shift no matter what