E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adding USB (6FL) to LCI E93 with Professional HU inc Bluetooth

11-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
GrantF
Rep
Drives: 2018 F16 X6 (Blue)

Adding USB (6FL) to LCI E93 with Professional HU inc Bluetooth

My Jan 2011 E93 LCI doesn't have the USB option installed from the factory, and I'd like to add it, as long as it's not too cost-prohibitive. The HU I have installed from the factory is the Professional radio with Bluetooth

Click link to view the top of my HU https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qu65se7hxv5iivs/Lhz3RMA5oH

I understand that a new AUX connection with USB port is needed in the centre console, in lieu of the existing AUX only port, and a cable is required to connect it to 'something', which I think is the white connector on the back of the HU

Click link to view rear of HU https://www.dropbox.com/sc/36pbj6u8jmmn4xc/dRPUgHOT0R

I expect the HU\Car will need to be coded to tell it that the USB is present and make it visible as an option on the HU.

Has anyone else done this upgrade and can confirm if this is the correct approach, or have I missed something, as I've seen other posts about MULF and MULF2 modules also needing to be installed.

Cheers
Grant
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Covered multiple times and done on multiple cars including 1 series.
No need for MULF high with this HU.
      11-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
GrantF
Rep

I called up BMW (Parts department) in Glasgow this afternoon, and they advised me that they've looked up my VIN number and that my Professional radio can't have the retrofit kit fitted to it, and I need to upgrade to the Business radio and that the Retrofit kit fitted to that is £1200, and the cost of a Business radio is over and above that.

I did mention that the connector is visible on the back of the HU for the USB connector, and he suggested it must be the internals are not compatible with the USB Retrofit kit

Anyone ever heard something similar, and maybe that the BMW systems (and dealer staff) aren't always 100% correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

BMW approach 'Sir, production date of your car is 2007, so this part will not fit in your car'.

Local indy approach 'Sir, we can try'.

A experienced forum member's approach 'take it to makkan' and he'll code it for your car.

Done it at least on good few 3 series and two 1 series.

Stick to your dealer and you have 'limited' stuff available for your car.
      11-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

I had exactly the same set up on my 60 plate LCI E92 and can confirm that you can 100% just buy the cable and socket and get the head unit coded.

I bought my parts from Cotswold BWM which came to about £80 with a bit of discount. Makkan did the install and coding for me which took about 2.5 hrs.

It's quite labour intensive to fit the socket as you need to remove a fair bit of the interior to run the cable to the head unit and swap over the sockets. I'd have had a go myself but there are no how to guides on line and I didn't fancy trying to figure it out on my own. Having watched Sam's handywork I'm glad I didn't as there were plenty of bits I'd have cocked up lol.

Also worth noting that BMW disabled coding the head unit from the OBD port and it had to be coded from Sam's car rather than mine - I think it was to do with the fibre optic bus communication being disabled (or something)...

Anyway, yes it can be done and shouldn't cost you more than £200! I love mine - makes such a difference and completes the set up
      11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
GrantF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdemand View Post
I had exactly the same set up on my 60 plate LCI E92 and can confirm that you can 100% just buy the cable and socket and get the head unit coded.

I bought my parts from Cotswold BWM which came to about £80 with a bit of discount. Makkan did the install and coding for me which took about 2.5 hrs.

It's quite labour intensive to fit the socket as you need to remove a fair bit of the interior to run the cable to the head unit and swap over the sockets. I'd have had a go myself but there are no how to guides on line and I didn't fancy trying to figure it out on my own. Having watched Sam's handywork I'm glad I didn't as there were plenty of bits I'd have cocked up lol.

Also worth noting that BMW disabled coding the head unit from the OBD port and it had to be coded from Sam's car rather than mine - I think it was to do with the fibre optic bus communication being disabled (or something)...

Anyway, yes it can be done and shouldn't cost you more than £200! I love mine - makes such a difference and completes the set up
Cheers mate,

Do you still have a list of the part numbers required for the cable and the Aux\USB socket?

Any suggestions how I can get mine coded?

Thanks
Grant
Appreciate 0