E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > thought these were bomb proof

11-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

thought these were bomb proof

after six months of owning my 335d i have had to replace all discs and pads (fair enough wear and tear),the DPF blocked ,intercooler got a hole in it so had to buy a new on ,the seatbelt handover on my side stopped working and now its in on wednesday as the Aux water pump has failed,there is a bearing issue (possibly diff) and i have the dreaded turbo whine when cold,it was cheaper running the old skylines
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

You bought a lemon by the sounds of it. Or a very high miler / older example (pre 07? Most common issues were resolved early ish )

Replace all discs after 6 months? Discs last 25k or more miles. Didn't you check that before you picked up the car? You either knew this cost was coming or should have.

DPF blocked. Is it unblocked now? What mileage is the car on? When did it go? These are wear and tear items so not unexpected but it could also be the way the car has driven.

How does an intercooler get a hole in it other than impact? Inhaled something on the road? How can you blame the car for that!

The butler, you have a point!!! But BMW should replace this if you have a warranty. And if you don't: Why not?

Same with the water pump and diff!

Whine when cold isn't anything to dread. All the cars do this, don't worry about it. I quite like the noise.

Not being dickish at all, just trying to be constructive.

Dave
      11-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
You bought a lemon by the sounds of it. Or a very high miler / older example (pre 07? Most common issues were resolved early ish )

Replace all discs after 6 months? Discs last 25k or more miles. Didn't you check that before you picked up the car? You either knew this cost was coming or should have.

DPF blocked. Is it unblocked now? What mileage is the car on? When did it go? These are wear and tear items so not unexpected but it could also be the way the car has driven.

How does an intercooler get a hole in it other than impact? Inhaled something on the road? How can you blame the car for that!

The butler, you have a point!!! But BMW should replace this if you have a warranty. And if you don't: Why not?

Whine when cold isn't anything to dread. All the cars do this, don't worry about it. I quite like the noise.

Dave
Bit harsh :/

Its a 60k 2008 car

The discs and pads needed replacing when I bought it , was not going to use the trader as I wanted Bembo HP sport pads and Brembo discs , traders use the cheapest they can legally get away with , god knows how the I/C got a hole in it , and the DPF has been removed , suspect the aux water pump failing that stopped the car regenerating the DPF ( i mainly do short trips in the car)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

The turbo whine is not normal , it's either and inbalnce in the shaft or a leak , I have noticed I'm only hitting 1.53 bar peak boost though so I'm hoping its a leak , if the bearing noise turns out to be the diff I may aswell go with a Quaife unless there any alternatives
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Have you not got any warranty?

Sounds expensive fixes.

Sadly BMWs are far from bombproof. They all have their faults, but you seem to be particularly unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Sadly BMWs are far from bombproof. They all have their faults, but you seem to be particularly unlucky.
+1 I only realised the premium prices BMW charge for their products does not equal a reliable product after I bought my 335.

Most likely will go back to a Japanese brand for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I have allways bought second ahnd cars as I thought they represented good value and also thought BMW represented good quality but I am buying a new car soon for the opposite reason.

I have had to replace the turbos, water pump, O2 sensor, coils+sparks (twice) and 2 injectors this year. That added to the fact the turbos are still noisy and the whole car rattles like an old shopping trolley (07 60k) although it is modified. I will be buying an Audi as they seem to be able to handle a speed bump without disintegrating.

I should point out that I am having a baby in Feb so the new car is a 'practicle family wagon' I love the speed, power and looks of the 335i but that is all everything else is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

60k is early for a DPF to go, your must owner must have driven it hard on only very short journeys, not much motorway mileage

I do think you need to categorise your woes into "wear/tear", "bad luck", and "bad car". I know what you're saying about the turbo but have you heard a few other 335d's to compare? do you know this is something specific to your car? It's normal to be audible - but shouldn't be characteristic of the "sirens" you get with a failing turbo that's for sure.

Time to invest in an AUC warranty if I were you, because the pumps/etc sound spendy. If they've got a few months left before they go in your opinion then go for it !

Dave

Last edited by MEGA; 11-12-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Since August 2007 I have had the following:

2005 120d SE bought with 15 k miles on the clock and did 40k miles in it
2006 330d M Sport bought with 17k miles on the clock and did 37k miles in it
2007 330d M Sport bought with 49k miles on the clock and did 32k miles in it
2008 525d M Sport bought with 33k miles on the clock and so far have done 13k miles in it

In this time none of these cars have ever needed any repairs at all; purely routine maintenance.

I'm quite happy with BMW reliability.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
I have allways bought second ahnd cars as I thought they represented good value and also thought BMW represented good quality but I am buying a new car soon for the opposite reason.

I have had to replace the turbos, water pump, O2 sensor, coils+sparks (twice) and 2 injectors this year. That added to the fact the turbos are still noisy and the whole car rattles like an old shopping trolley (07 60k) although it is modified. I will be buying an Audi as they seem to be able to handle a speed bump without disintegrating.

I should point out that I am having a baby in Feb so the new car is a 'practicle family wagon' I love the speed, power and looks of the 335i but that is all everything else is terrible.
You're in for a shock if you buy an Audi expecting reliability.

Warranty direct released their figures for engine warranty claims.

1in 27 Audi drivers made a claim and this put them 2nd last and only ahead of ROVER!

BMW were 1 in 45.

Honda were 1 in 344 for engine claims putting them well ahead of Toyota who were second best.

What they don't do is break it down into cost and what the failures were.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknjayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post

Dave
Bit harsh :/

Its a 60k 2008 car

The discs and pads needed replacing when I bought it , was not going to use the trader as I wanted Bembo HP sport pads and Brembo discs , traders use the cheapest they can legally get away with , god knows how the I/C got a hole in it , and the DPF has been removed , suspect the aux water pump failing that stopped the car regenerating the DPF ( i mainly do short trips in the car)
Why get a 35d if you mainly do short trips?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
You're in for a shock if you buy an Audi expecting reliability.

Warranty direct released their figures for engine warranty claims.

1in 27 Audi drivers made a claim and this put them 2nd last and only ahead of ROVER!

BMW were 1 in 45.

Honda were 1 in 344 for engine claims putting them well ahead of Toyota who were second best.

What they don't do is break it down into cost and what the failures were.
That may be the case but maybe I should have been more specific. I am buying a new car so that any thing that does happen will be covered fully under the manufacture warranty. Warranty direct would imply that they are older cars which all go wrong at some point regardless of marque.

So I'm not too fussed about how much the repairs cost. There are 7 Audi's in my immediate family and my old mans Sq5 has allready been in once so I'm good to go under your odds

Also it is going to be hard to shock me given my BMW experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
waftingtony
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

All of the above faults you suggest, are more likely to be from 120k+ milers and above.
Remember this... its very, VERY easy to slip the clock back on any car. There are that many 3-5 year old cars that have this happen, 2nd or 3rd owners will never know because switchgear/pedals/stonechips/windscreens are changed to cover it up. Due to lack of MOT for the first 3 yrs, and missed services/blagged service books... there are crooks out there that fudge it all. Unfortunately some are used car dealers.

I'm not suggesting yours is, only you can see its condition and what its like around the edges. But with all of the above, I find that extremely surprising of a high quality BMW car to exhibit such faults with very low mileage.
Alot of these BMW diesels travel 40k plus miles a year, I've seen some hitting 60k in just 1 year. A 4 or 5 year old car doing 10k a year is nothing... you shouldn't be getting any on the niggles even with a rather hefty right boot. DPF should get to 120k with no problems, might limp to 80-100k if locally driven?!
Intercooler hole.. if its the fins, you've hit something and thats bad luck. Again, water pump should see you past 100k. I'd be very suspicious.

My parents bought an E46 320d that had rather low miles a few years back. Turned out that had almost certainly been clocked, its had everything go wrong at 90k miles. It was probably not looked after by one of its owners and maybe missed a couple of services.

My last BMW, a 530d Sport (E39) had 181,000 miles... with NO faults. In my 3 years of ownership from 130k miles, 2 rear shocks, 2 front wishbones (wear and tear for such a heavy car). Faultless, on same turbo and gearbox. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Like anything, if its been nursed, it will last a very long time.

Make sure you check the condition of your oil breather, if you have turbo whine then you're likely to have some sort of blockage restricting oil to the turbo. Its easy to fix/ just change the breather unit, about £50 from BMW (the rubber diagphram within the unit gets "tired"). Don't delay, investigate that as a matter of priority as many owners ignore this crucial device.. The last thing you want is turbo failure, at 60k its almost unheard of on the 3 litre diesel. Hope it gets sorted.

Again, diff whine. Is it really? Perhaps its more likely to be a noisy alternator pulley... they are a noisy bugger after 3 or 4 years. Unlikely to be the diff at 60k!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

i appreciate all the advise guys,this is my first diesel car so diesels are new to me,i have owned eight RB engined skylines along with M3's AMG mercs etc so im am familiar with how things work with diff's and turbos etc etc,had to replace the diff on my last skyline so i know the sound a knackered diff makes too and fortunately the noise is not the same,im wondering if the prop bearing is a bit worn (had one disintegrate on a 3.2 A3 last yr),anyhow the car is booked in at Parkside in worksop (they are less than 2 mile from me which is a bonus),im hoping the turbo noise/whine is a leaking manifold gasket or similar so that would explain the 0.3 bar drop in boost pressure too...

i have to say though guys,im am happy with the car,i suppose im a bit anal when it comes to anything abnormal happening to the car,any slight change in sound or slight vibration or squeak and i get obsessed with hunting down the issue..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

oh also i tapped (quite hard) the aux water pump,cleared the code and it has not come back in two days but......im only getting 77-80 degrees driving around town (normal or not on these)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

turns out the main bearing into the diff is shagged,the small turbo looks like its starved of oil and needs a new breather and should be ok,water temp is in the "acceptable"range but prob need the egr stat changing
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

All common stuff bar that bearing!