F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > PDC & Camera - settings?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i, 2007 e90 335i

PDC & Camera - settings?

Hi everyone,

I am still getting to know my new 2013 335. I don't get the front cameras? Do you guys actually find them useful at all. I know the sales guys said they are good when you are coming out of an ally but I really don't see any use for them. Maybe I'm just not used to them. What other things do you really on them for. I love my surround view cameras.

Also regarding the front and rear PDC sensors, can they be adjusted, when the solid beep goes off and the sensors are all red, I am still 8 to 12 inches away from hitting. I would rather the beeping go solid as I am say 2 to 3 inches away, you would have enough notice from prior beeps and colours.

I also noticed that I have been just barely above hitting a parking curb but the sensors don't go off at all, would they for sure beep if the curb is higher and you are about to hit?

Please share your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

The only use for the camera options is to boost BMW's profits. Nearly as pointless as the folding wing mirrors!

The pdc detect items in front the of sensors and will therefore ignore curbs and don't think you can adjust them. Once you get used to them and are confident of the space you are parking into, you can move back a few inches with the thing shouting at you. Also recognise that when as you close in, the pdc is only responding to items in front of the sensors and will miss objects between the sensors that can be closer to your car. Better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
The only use for the camera options is to boost BMW's profits. Nearly as pointless as the folding wing mirrors!

Also recognise that when as you close in, the pdc is only responding to items in front of the sensors and will miss objects between the sensors that can be closer to your car. Better safe than sorry.
Not sure the first point is fair, different folks have varied priorities. I find the cameras are a brilliant addition in the 5-series, use them all the time. I note that in some streets virtually all mirrors are folded in, sure those drivers appreciate the feature.

For me, I'd rather have cameras which assist driving safety, rather than the pointless option of big rimmed wheels, which cost a lot of money and do virtually nothing for a car, except focus on fashion over form.

I agree we have to be careful of the parking sensors, as blind sports will cause issues, if we start trying to get too close in some situations. Another reason the reversing camera is an asset, can double check for objects behind.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

I haven't found the front side cameras very useful because they are a little too high, but the overhead & rear view is great. If you live in a city where you often parallel park in very tight spaces you would understand. Same goes with the folding mirrors. I usually back or pull up until I hear the solid beep and then give it one more rev if I need to be in a tight space.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I agree the overhead and rear view cams are great but haven't had a need for the front cameras yet. Maybe for parallel it might be useful, will have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavm335i View Post
I haven't found the front side cameras very useful because they are a little too high, but the overhead & rear view is great. If you live in a city where you often parallel park in very tight spaces you would understand. Same goes with the folding mirrors. I usually back or pull up until I hear the solid beep and then give it one more rev if I need to be in a tight space.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I wish I had front cameras, but alas I don't. I do value my PDC and folding mirrors though. Useless? Not even close!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Is it a good idea to code the mirrors so they always close. Wouldn't the motor eventually burn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I wish I had front cameras, but alas I don't. I do value my PDC and folding mirrors though. Useless? Not even close!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina
Is it a good idea to code the mirrors so they always close. Wouldn't the motor eventually burn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Mine are coded. They only close when you want them to using Comfort Access, the key or the button on the door. As for the motor, the same could be said for the moonroof, windows, etc. I say enjoy the car. That's what warranty is for.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
I agree the overhead and rear view cams are great but haven't had a need for the front cameras yet. Maybe for parallel it might be useful, will have to try it.
When you're stuck trying to pull out into moving traffic and some DH's SUV is parked in the red zone too close to the intersection. The cameras can help. But it takes getting used to what you're seeing.
      10-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
When you're stuck trying to pull out into moving traffic and some DH's SUV is parked in the red zone too close to the intersection. The cameras can help. But it takes getting used to what you're seeing.
+1

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
+1
Now that makes sense, will give that a try. I always assumed it was for parallel parking to make sure you are close enough to the curb but the cameras sit too high for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Quote:
Now that makes sense, will give that a try. I always assumed it was for parallel parking to make sure you are close enough to the curb but the cameras sit too high for that.
you back in to parallel not forward so those cameras in front woudn't help you...for parallel parking you would use the top view cameras (or parking assistant if you have it)

i have the front view cams and have never used them...you're supposed to use them when driving out of an alley/driveway and can't see cross traffic but every single time that opportunity arises i always forget to push the button and remember once i've already turned or crossed
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you should try to use them more often

I use them when I drive to the city and I am getting out of a parking garage. I use them to see if there are people about to walk across
the garage entrance. At times you can be trying to merge into a road and you have no clear view of what's coming, they can be useful too. I have had the car for almost a year and I have used them in a useful way for about 10 times. There is the obvious showing off, another 5 times

In any case those side view cameras come with the top view camera within the same package. Its a win win

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep
Drives: REDACTED

The option to add a rear-view camera with sensor seems like a huge improvement to me -- I've added it to every car I've owned since they started coming out on the market. I also added a front / side camera package on one car and never used it in the three years I owned it. Different manufacturer on that one, but they gave the same justification that I'm hearing in this thread, i.e., the alley scenario / the close-in parking scenario.

Maybe I'm old school but front and side cameras seem like a solution to a non-existent problem -- I've never had a problem dealing with that using my eyes and neck; almost by definition, manufacturers are supposed to design cars that enable you to accurately perceive those distances and have sight-lines at appropriate angles up front and to the sides. I'd feel LESS confident trying to judge those distances and sight lines looking at a screen -- I can't imagine merging that way -- not because I wouldn't trust the image on the screen, but because I don't like the disconnect that it imposes between your eyes and your actions in the vehicle. I don't want an extra layer. Again, I may just be old school.

(By contrast, the rear camera option has always seemed like a solution to an actual problem -- before they were offered, think how many people would have their buddy out in the back of the car doing the 'wave forward / stop' routine to make sure you don't back into that tight wall.)

Last edited by ArthurKing1220; 10-28-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220
The option to add a rear-view camera with sensor seems like a huge improvement to me -- I've added it to every car I've owned since they started coming out on the market. I also added a front / side camera package on one car and never used it in the three years I owned it. Different manufacturer on that one, but they gave the same justification that I'm hearing in this thread, i.e., the alley scenario / the close-in parking scenario.

Maybe I'm old school but front and side cameras seem like a solution to a non-existent problem -- I've never had a problem dealing with that using my eyes and neck; almost by definition, manufacturers are supposed to design cars that enable you to accurately perceive those distances and have sight-lines at appropriate angles up front and to the sides. I'd feel LESS confident trying to judge those distances and sight lines looking at a screen -- I can't imagine merging that way -- not because I wouldn't trust the image on the screen, but because I don't like the disconnect that it imposes between your eyes and your actions in the vehicle. I don't want an extra layer. Again, I may just be old school.

(By contrast, the rear camera option has always seemed like a solution to an actual problem -- before cars made them, think how many people would have their buddy out in the back of the car doing the 'wave forward / stop' routine to make sure you don't back into that tight wall.)
When you do find a time to use them in a useful way you will understand why they are the future. It's unfortunate those times are not as abundant as the rear view and top view cameras but when the time comes its good to have them.

They can only be used when stationary or moving at a very slow pace. Your brain will not be able to process the images once in motion, above 10mph

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
When you do find a time to use them in a useful way you will understand why they are the future. It's unfortunate those times are not as abundant as the rear view and top view cameras but when the time comes its good to have them.
Like I said, I had that camera setup for three years and I didn't find a use for it. This is with significant city driving. I'm not convinced it's anything but a gimmick. (A very cool gimmick, to be clear, but still a gimmick.)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, I had that camera setup for three years and I didn't find a use for it. This is with significant city driving. I'm not convinced it's anything but a gimmick. (A very cool gimmick, to be clear, but still a gimmick.)
A lot of manufactures have a front view camera which is useless IMO. In your case did you have front view ( one camera in front) or side view, two cameras by the front wheel arches? The usefulness of these two setups is different in my opinion.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
A lot of manufactures have a front view camera which is useless IMO. In your case did you have front view ( one camera in front) or side view, two cameras by the front wheel arches? The usefulness of these two setups is different in my opinion.
I had a system -- one of the first -- that had "whole view" i.e., it gave you a bird's eye view of the car and had proximity sensors. I just never seemed to rely on it for anything other than protecting my rear bumper. Was it fun? Yes -- it felt futuristic to have this "bird's eye" perspective and the ability to change camera views, etc. But it also seemed completely unnecessary and as a driver, despite *wanting* to say "this expensive option I purchased is coming in handy!" it just didn't integrate into my control of the car. I felt more competent relying on my own experience / eyes / sense of the size of the vehicle / neck. Not saying it's not useful for some people but it didn't do anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had a system -- one of the first -- that had "whole view" i.e., it gave you a bird's eye view of the car and had proximity sensors. I just never seemed to rely on it for anything other than protecting my rear bumper. Was it fun? Yes -- it felt futuristic to have this "bird's eye" perspective and the ability to change camera views, etc. But it also seemed completely unnecessary and as a driver, despite *wanting* to say "this expensive option I purchased is coming in handy!" it just didn't integrate into my control of the car. I felt more competent relying on my own experience / eyes / sense of the size of the vehicle / neck. Not saying it's not useful for some people but it didn't do anything for me.
You seem to be describing the inifiniti birds eye view which has a camera in front. A camera in front is useless since it just shows you what your eyes can see. A side view camera on the other hand shows you what your eyes can't see. If you are driving out if a parking garage the one big obstacle are the people walking across the entrance. At times someone is there to tell you to stop if someone is coming, if not that's what your side view cameras are for. I can not tell you the number of times I have used that feature to determine the safest time to move forward. Same with merging into a road and there is a tree or obstacle on your right/left and you have no clear view. The side view cameras allow you to see as far as your eyes can see on both the left and right hand side had your eyes been in the same spot.

Appreciate 0