E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Amplifier blowing fuses?

10-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
14thfiver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Amplifier blowing fuses?

I'm a little out of my element here and hoping someone might be able to offer some insight for me on this. First and foremost, I've got a 2008 328i sedan. A little over a year ago, I brought it to a local shop and they replaced the stock amp and front speakers & subs. No issues with the audio system or the car since they put this stuff in. Now as far as my current problem...

I brought it in to my local dealer yesterday for an oil change and inspection. The service advisor said there was an open recall to replace a battery cable, so they would do that as well while they had the car. When I got back in the car yesterday afternoon, I immediately noticed that the climate control unit wasn't working at all (apparently it's called an IHKA). They kept the car overnight and advised me today that they diagnosed my amplifier as causing fuses to blow. According to them, disconnecting the amp kept the fuses from being blown. They said there was a blown fuse for the passenger seat heater as well, but I can't verify either way as that obviously wasn't used at all during the summer. I do know it worked last winter though, so it seems strange that it would blow that fuse when it's not being used. I got the car back a couple of hours ago and everything seems to be working fine, but now I have no sound since they disconnected the amp.

My problem is I don't know whether the dealer has no idea what they're doing or if it actually is the amp causing the problem. It's a bit coincidental to me that problems started popping up after they did work on the battery wiring. The guy who put in the amp assures me that since it is connected directly to the battery (it was, I checked), there is no way it could be causing fuses for other circuits to blow. That makes perfectly good sense to me, as I would assume if there was feedback from the amp to the battery that the fuse on the power cable would blow. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to electricity.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the real problem might be? I'd like to think the dealer knows what they're doing, but I also don't want to take it back and pay for someone else to fix it if the dealer screwed it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
afsar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d

If amp is connected directly with the battery there is no way (that I can think of) it can blow the fuses which is on complete different circuit, it goes against the basic theory of electronics.

IF amp is directly connected with the battery and has its own fuse I will not believe dealer, they have caused the fuses to blow and now as usual they are lying blaming something else not their incompetence.

I can't forget when my dension and tyre thread depth was blamed for my active cruise control which wasn't behaving properly.
      10-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If it wasn't doing this before.

If it wasn't doing this before logically why would it be doing it now.
They messed something up.
Also the amp should have a fuse on the power line if it was installed correctly .
The power line the installer of the stereo installed.
If the amp was bad that is the only fuse that should blow.
Did he use a Technic harness that isolates the turn on signal from the amp with
a relay?

Last edited by ctuna; 10-24-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Can you pull out your trunk liner and battery cover and get some pictures of how everything's wired? It may make something more obvious.