F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DHP, any video demonstrating all settings?
GetBMWParts

10-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

DHP, any video demonstrating all settings?

Wondering if there is a video or some small tutorial which walks through different settings in the DHP.

Just got my car and have not gone through the manual much. Do not flame!

Any link is appreciated too! Thanks!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

No suit, no pepsimax, no answer.

I don't have dhp but I thought it was activated by the sport/comfort mode button and wasn't aware of any additional adjustments available via the idrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLittle

I don't have dhp but I thought it was activated by the sport/comfort mode button and wasn't aware of any additional adjustments available via the idrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Looks like I wasted one grand. Nobody seems to know anything

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
xmsirius
OtisMarx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

my perspective on DHP

I have DHP on a 328i w/ standard all weather tires (17") and these are my observations after slightly more than 3,000 miles. Used this site to use many differing opinions to arrive at what i would order. DHP is both the M Adaptive Suspension and VSS (Variable Sport Steering). In ECO and Comfort you get a comfortable suspension that I believe is more "composed" than standard suspension. Some might feel it is more stiff but, I think you just don't get the rebound or some call it "bounce" of the normal suspension. And when driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, while it did lean when hitting the curves it would harden and return without and bounce/float. In Sport you can configure the better throttle response or tighter chassis or both. In Sport + you get the stiffer suspension and better throttle response and removal of some stability controls. As far as Steering I like the VSS and you can tell when in "chassis" mode the steering is "heavier" or more stiff. Not a huge difference but noticeable. I drive sometimes with just "chassis" in Sport and sometimes with both Powertrain and Chassis. The most noticeable thing about DHP is the composed nature of the ride in ECO and Comfort and when in Sport I can't say its more stiff but, again just more composed. Not huge but noticeable.
I test drove a Sport Line with non-adaptive for a day and loved the way it handled but after two hours in the car my wife complained that the seat was not comfortable. I had to agree. Coming from our Accord the tighter suspension along with the sport seats was not comfortable. Thanks to the dealer for letting us find out this issue. I think the bottom of the Sport seat is too hard. The back of the seat with lateral support is wonderful and I wish like the M Adaptive the bottom of the sport seat was adjustable from hard to soft. The 18" performance tires were great too but maybe my AS 17" provides a more comfortable ride. They stick in curves great and soon as the temps drop into the 30's they should be better than the sport 18's. Maybe next time it will be a Sortline with DHP. I am 58 years old and sitting on the kiester in the Sportline has to be comfortable.

Last edited by xmsirius; 10-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Clarification that I don't know if Sport setting in DHP is hard than a normal sport suspension but it is more composed
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

If you look in the actual settings, you can set the combination that you want enabled when you go to sport mode from what I remember. I have mine set to have the sport mode change only the suspension. Then if I really want the sport level shifting I just move the automatic shifter to sport mode (left). That way you can choose what you want.

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
DHP Video

Driving modes:

EcoPro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+

Driving modes explained:
EcoPro - You can set this mode up differently as well, just like you can sport. It heavily damps your throttle to save energy, and also makes a few systems use less power on the car.
Comfort - Is like a car without DHP, except (this is debated) is a little more soft than a non-DHP car. The car always defaults to this mode on restart.
Sport - See below.
Sport+ - See below.

To access the settings for DHP:
On iDrive Controller press 'Menu'
Turn controller to 'Settings'
Select 'Driving mode'
Select 'Configure SPORT'

You now have 3 options:

Drivetrain & Chassis
Drivetrain
Chassis

Explanation of options:

Chassis - This setting will only effect your dampers and steering. Since you have DHP, you also have VSS. Your steering rack has a progressive steering ratio, so that the more you turn the wheel, the more aggressive the ratio becomes. When you activate 'Sport' using the driving mode selector by the gear shifter, your dampers stiffen up, and your steering becomes much heavier.

Drivetrain - This setting only effects your drivetrain, and no suspension or steering settings are effected. Your shift points will change, your transmission will shift harder, and your throttle will not be as damped.

Drivetrain & Chassis - Both of the above settings will be activated in combination with each other.

When you put your car into 'Sport+' mode. Both of the above settings will be activated. It is debated whether it takes both a bit further or not... You can decide for yourself.

In addition to both of these settings, 'Sport' and 'Sport+', if you press your gear selector to the left, into its sport mode, it will make your transmission a bit sportier. It will hold a gear longer, and let it rev a bit higher. Great example for this. On the highway, if you have your car in 'Sport+' with your gear selector in its normal position (not sport), it will shift into 7th gear eventually. If you put the transmission into sport mode with the selector, it will only shift up into 6th (at highway speeds, I'm sure it'll go into 7th on track if speed is high enough).

If there is something I've missed, let me know.

Like the poster above, I leave my 'Sport' setting to 'Chassis'. I like to drive around in sport, but am normally not above 45 going to and from work. If I am wanting chassis and drivetrain, I just put it into 'Sport+' or move the gear selector into sport mode.

At the end of the video you can see the difference with and without 'Driving mode info' activated. If you do not have that option checked, then it will not display your driving mode in the iDrive screen. I leave mine unchecked. You see which mode you are in on the dash, I thought it was repetitive, and it takes too long to go away in the iDrive screen, just my opinion.

James
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon

Last edited by raceing86; 10-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Some good info on settings in this thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=58
      10-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Its as mentioned above, but in my oppinion if your going to toy with it just turn your sport settings as sporty as possible, and your comfort setting as comfortable as possile
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

In Sport+ and S shifter setting, the gear will change into 7th every time. What i've never experienced is it shifting into 8th, which I can shift into when in manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

settings within settings within other settings....thought I'd do some reading on this before I pick up my car tomorrow...severely confused at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceing86 View Post

Driving modes:

EcoPro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+

Driving modes explained:
EcoPro - You can set this mode up differently as well, just like you can sport. It heavily damps your throttle to save energy, and also makes a few systems use less power on the car.
Comfort - Is like a car without DHP, except (this is debated) is a little more soft than a non-DHP car. The car always defaults to this mode on restart.
Sport - See below.
Sport+ - See below.

To access the settings for DHP:
On iDrive Controller press 'Menu'
Turn controller to 'Settings'
Select 'Driving mode'
Select 'Configure SPORT'

You now have 3 options:

Drivetrain & Chassis
Drivetrain
Chassis

Explanation of options:

Chassis - This setting will only effect your dampers and steering. Since you have DHP, you also have VSS. Your steering rack has a progressive steering ratio, so that the more you turn the wheel, the more aggressive the ratio becomes. When you activate 'Sport' using the driving mode selector by the gear shifter, your dampers stiffen up, and your steering becomes much heavier.

Drivetrain - This setting only effects your drivetrain, and no suspension or steering settings are effected. Your shift points will change, your transmission will shift harder, and your throttle will not be as damped.

Drivetrain & Chassis - Both of the above settings will be activated in combination with each other.

When you put your car into 'Sport+' mode. Both of the above settings will be activated. It is debated whether it takes both a bit further or not... You can decide for yourself.

In addition to both of these settings, 'Sport' and 'Sport+', if you press your gear selector to the left, into its sport mode, it will make your transmission a bit sportier. It will hold a gear longer, and let it rev a bit higher. Great example for this. On the highway, if you have your car in 'Sport+' with your gear selector in its normal position (not sport), it will shift into 7th gear eventually. If you put the transmission into sport mode with the selector, it will only shift up into 6th (at highway speeds, I'm sure it'll go into 7th on track if speed is high enough).

If there is something I've missed, let me know.

Like the poster above, I leave my 'Sport' setting to 'Chassis'. I like to drive around in sport, but am normally not above 45 going to and from work. If I am wanting chassis and drivetrain, I just put it into 'Sport+' or move the gear selector into sport mode.

At the end of the video you can see the difference with and without 'Driving mode info' activated. If you do not have that option checked, then it will not display your driving mode in the iDrive screen. I leave mine unchecked. You see which mode you are in on the dash, I thought it was repetitive, and it takes too long to go away in the iDrive screen, just my opinion.

James

You are the man! Thanks so much for putting this all together and making a video for this thread. That explains it very well.

Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=58
Great link, very useful info. I think we are good at reading from tables, and charts, so much quicker!

Thanks again!

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Seems the most flexibility is obtained by setting the Driving Experience Switch to adjust the chassis only; and let a tug of the shift lever to the left toggle the drivetrain's Sport mode.
      10-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=58" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.f30post.c...stcount=58</a>
Wow, this is great. There are only 2 other things I would add to the table but they are trivial

Under exhaust, once DS activated you get the continuous pop sounds as you left off the gas. They are louder in sport + and unfortunately wind noise gets the better of them as speed increases. You can still hear them at highway speeds though.

The turbo whistles are also more pronounced in sport + and fade away as the mode selected gets let's aggressive.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Wow, this is great. There are only 2 other things I would add to the table but they are trivial

Under exhaust, once DS activated you get the continuous pop sounds as you left off the gas. They are louder in sport + and unfortunately wind noise gets the better of them as speed increases. You can still hear them at highway speeds though.

The turbo whistles are also more pronounced in sport + and fade away as the mode selected gets let's aggressive.
I think the pop sounds (part of what I'm calling "exhaust burble") being more apparent when in DS is just a function of being at higher RPM, which is inherent in DS mode compared to D. Sport and Sport+ should be the same unless you configure Sport mode to "Comfort" driveline settings.

Hadn't thought about the turbo whistle... gotta give that a listen. Thanks.
      10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I think the pop sounds (part of what I'm calling "exhaust burble") being more apparent when in DS is just a function of being at higher RPM, which is inherent in DS mode compared to D. Sport and Sport+ should be the same unless you configure Sport mode to "Comfort" driveline settings.

Hadn't thought about the turbo whistle... gotta give that a listen. Thanks.
No, the exhaust won't "pop" unless DS is on. Its much more pronounced with sport+ and DS on.

Enjoy the whistles

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

I highly recommend DHP.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I had the equivalent feature on my e92 M3 and used it only a handful of times. Therefore, I opted out of this feature on my F30. IMO if you don't track your car, changing these settings is somewhat gimmicky.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I had the equivalent feature on my e92 M3 and used it only a handful of times. Therefore, I opted out of this feature on my F30. IMO if you don't track your car, changing these settings is somewhat gimmicky.
I opted out on my first F30 M-Sport as I knew I'd be in Sport Mode 100% of the time anyway.

However, the second time around I did opt for it after reading the pros and cons people were posting. I can definitely say that it is stiffer in some scenarios--like on a 20mph speed bump. Stiffer in the sense of less shock travel. The $900 was worth it to me.
      10-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
I highly recommend DHP.
Why
      10-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
Why
Because it gives you the EDC dampers, which are awesome. In Sport mode, the suspension is both flatter when cornering hard, and more compliant over bumps than the passive sport dampers. Plus there's Comfort mode if you want to really cushion the bumps. (Plus, Dinan is planning to release Shockware to further tune the EDC dampers to provide a more aggressive Sport mode.

Also, DHP includes Variable Sport Steering, which is an improvement over the standard steering.