E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How does BMW not equip all their vehicles with this??

10-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335ix

Question How does BMW not equip all their vehicles with this??

I think, not positive, that my E92 does NOT have an alarm?? Crazy..

How is this possible?

I was searching for the "noise beep" when locking the car because mine was not acquiring the sound. I found that I could locate this in the iDrive under the "Door Locks" settings although it is NOT there.

If I remember correctly to sound the alarm on these cars you press and hold any button on the remote, although again nothing happened.

What am I missing here..? Do I need a software update?

The car's sticker price was $55,000.. AND THERE ISNT EVEN ANY SECURITY FOR IT??

Do ALL BMWs not come up with an alarm or "noise beeps" when locking? Is it an accessory that they have but not available as an optional package? What package would this be?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Alarm is optional. I know, I know. They insist the car is impossible to start without the FOB, so it became an option just liked power seats. I've heard its not that expensive to add though.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Fooljam
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Don't bother with an OEM alarm anyway
It takes less than 5mn to make a duplicate key and start the car and go away with it. With OEM alarm or not. You do not even need to have one of the original keys to make a new one.

Get a GPS tracker instead. And put "GPS Tracked" kind of stickers on the windows.
Use a steering wheel lock whenever you can too.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

I checked my vin and checked under the bonnet for the alarm switch. Both present for alarm. So I proceeded to code my ride and got the panic alarm and beeps .....

Suggest you check if the alarm hardware is physically installed first ....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep

Location on car please?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

BMW Assist has a GPS tracker built in should your car be stolen.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Fooljam
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
BMW Assist has a GPS tracker built in should your car be stolen.
If you have the option already I suppose?
Does that come standard in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
If you have the option already I suppose?
Does that come standard in the US?
You have to pay BMW for the Assist services. Otherwise, it's not turned on.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '18 F22 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshotx1 View Post
The car's sticker price was $55,000.. AND THERE ISNT EVEN ANY SECURITY FOR IT??
If someone wants to steal your car they will know how to disable that thing in a few seconds or even disable it before it goes off. If you leave a laptop in your passenger seat, smashing the window and taking that laptop is done so quick that I doubt the thugs care if an alarm sounds..

Here in Norway you used to get a discount on your car insurance if the car had alarm installed. This discount was removed a few years back, probably because nobody bother to even turn their head if they hear a car alarm go off. 95% of the time it is a falls alarm.. I would't spend a dime on a car alarm. GPS tracker though, different story

Last edited by OveN; 10-15-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshotx1 View Post
Location on car please?
Easiest way is to look on cowl, underhood, below microfilter housing for the hood switch:

If you have this switch, then more than likely, you have the alarm hardware installed. But frankly, I have never heard of a BMW actually having all the hardware installed & just needed coding for it to be activated...

Alarm is an option, you either have all of it & it is coded to be active, or you have none of it. BMW does not make a habit of installing hardware for options & then just simply not 'turn them ON' - not cost effective.

If you don't see the hood switch, you still can add the alarm system for around $275. But there are again certain 'restrictions'
  • There are (2) versions of the alarm - (1) for older cars up to 2010 (I think) & a different version for above 2010
  • If your car is up to Build Date of late 2009 - it will have all the alarm prewiring thru out the car, & it is a simple matter of just getting the hardware (Hood Switch, Siren/Tilt Sensor (in DS rear wheelwell under liner), Ultrasonic Module (inside front overhead console), hooking it up, and code the alarm to be active
  • Sometime after Build Date of late 2009, the cars are not even prewired for the alarm any more. BMW stopped prewiring the cars for alarm regardless of whether it had the option or not to save $$. So this would be more expensive + much more difficult as you would also need to get the entire wire harness and run thru car

When you are looking for that Hood Switch, if you don't have one, still check to see if you have that pigtail wire with connector that goes to the switch as shown in the above pic. If not readily visible, it may be wrapped out of the way in the main harness very close to that area. If you do have that wire, then more than likely your car is prewired for alarm

My 09' with Build Date of 2/09 did not have the alarm originally, but was prewired. I picked up an alarm system from forum member for $100, installed all PnP, and coded it to be active. I wouldn't have even bothered if the car was not prewired...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Easiest way is to look on cowl, underhood, below microfilter housing for the hood switch:

If you have this switch, then more than likely, you have the alarm hardware installed. But frankly, I have never heard of a BMW actually having all the hardware installed & just needed coding for it to be activated...

Alarm is an option, you either have all of it & it is coded to be active, or you have none of it. BMW does not make a habit of installing hardware for options & then just simply not 'turn them ON' - not cost effective.

If you don't see the hood switch, you still can add the alarm system for around $275. But there are again certain 'restrictions'
  • There are (2) versions of the alarm - (1) for older cars up to 2010 (I think) & a different version for above 2010
  • If your car is up to Build Date of late 2009 - it will have all the alarm prewiring thru out the car, & it is a simple matter of just getting the hardware (Hood Switch, Siren/Tilt Sensor (in DS rear wheelwell under liner), Ultrasonic Module (inside front overhead console), hooking it up, and code the alarm to be active
  • Sometime after Build Date of late 2009, the cars are not even prewired for the alarm any more. BMW stopped prewiring the cars for alarm regardless of whether it had the option or not to save $$. So this would be more expensive + much more difficult as you would also need to get the entire wire harness and run thru car

When you are looking for that Hood Switch, if you don't have one, still check to see if you have that pigtail wire with connector that goes to the switch as shown in the above pic. If not readily visible, it may be wrapped out of the way in the main harness very close to that area. If you do have that wire, then more than likely your car is prewired for alarm

My 09' with Build Date of 2/09 did not have the alarm originally, but was prewired. I picked up an alarm system from forum member for $100, installed all PnP, and coded it to be active. I wouldn't have even bothered if the car was not prewired...
What is this??

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
dborelli
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

That's the air temperature sensor. The alarm contact would be in that position on the opposite side of the engine bay.
Appreciate 0