E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhones And iDrive

10-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
boogle2
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive MSport

iPhones And iDrive

There are quite a few threads on the subject, but no one has been able to really nail down a solution from what I have seen, so I thought Id share my experience.

I have both an iPhone 4S as well as a 3GS. The 4S has the latest and greatest iOS. The 3GS does not. Neither will work with my 2011 335 with iDrive (But no connected drive). However I do have the individual audio upgrade and ipod connectivity.

I cannot get either phone to work through the usb idrive. The 3GS just shows as not supported and the phones screen flashes between "accessory connected" and the iTunes screen, while the 4S just simply comes up with "not connected" or "not supported"

Took the car to the dealer, and the tech tried 3 different iphones using the black adapter, and they all worked. I tried mine immediately after, and it did not. I tried using just a white iphone cable, and nothing.

Then, I went to the parts desk, got the two different versions of the Y cable, tried them both, and the results did not change. This has to be a phone issue, and it is so FRUSTRATING!!!!

How can ONLY my phones not work with this thing? Its ridiculous. I love the car but this is such a weird hangup for me. I would love to leave my 32gb 3GS plugged in the center console and just operate it through iDrive and not have a million cords going everywhere.

Please someone help me!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

I bet your issue is your cable, get the BMW cable and I bet that will fix your issue. I ran into the same problem as you, I was running an aux cable as well as a usb cable and it didnt work. I swaped to the BMW cable and it worked just fine for my iphone and ipod.
      10-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
boogle2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
I bet your issue is your cable, get the BMW cable and I bet that will fix your issue. I ran into the same problem as you, I was running an aux cable as well as a usb cable and it didnt work. I swaped to the BMW cable and it worked just fine for my iphone and ipod.
Sorry, maybe my last post wasn't clear. I tried both versions of the BMW y-cable with both of my phones today at the dealer and neither of them gave me any different results.

The car was just updated to the latest firmware today as well while it was in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogle2 View Post
Sorry, maybe my last post wasn't clear. I tried both versions of the BMW y-cable with both of my phones today at the dealer and neither of them gave me any different results.

The car was just updated to the latest firmware today as well while it was in the shop.
that's pretty weird, when I first bought my car I was getting the same message as you " not supported" as soon as I got the y cable I had no issues after that even after updating to ios 7. When you find out what it is please post your findings
      10-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
boogle2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
that's pretty weird, when I first bought my car I was getting the same message as you " not supported" as soon as I got the y cable I had no issues after that even after updating to ios 7. When you find out what it is please post your findings
So, just tried my girlfriends 3G with the black BMW cord, works no problem. Then tried my 3GS, and it did not work. So I updated my 3GS iOS from 5.1.1 to the 6.1.3 that she has on hers. Still did not work!!!

This for sure has to be some sort of phone compatibility issue, and I don't understand it. My phone is 32GB, and hers is 8. I am wondering if it is a problem with the size of the external device because I was hearing guys have trouble using thumb drives over that size...
Appreciate 0