E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > WHY???

10-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

WHY???

Just a rant about cleaning my car.... Well It rained for 3 days straight, which means of course my car was dirty for 3 days straight. I go to clean it today with a 25 min wash getting everything I could reach. Making sure not a speck of dirt was left. As soon as I light up the garage to wax the car I noticed my car's paint has been violated. There are water spots every where from the rain! I try the vinegar and water trick, nothing. I try some wax and polishing, nothing. Then I try some Perfect it Polish and guess what, it works. Only thing I've got enough for 2 panels. So I’m stuck with a car blemished with water spots, good stuff. Now here’s my take on this, I’ve owned 5 other cars before this one 2 of them being BMW’s. This is the only one that I’ve had this problem with. I would have thought that a brand new paint job would not have had this problem. Even more so that I put to coats of sealant wax on the car before this. It just amazes me that the clear coat is so vulnerable to water spots. I’m sure this situation has been posted before but I just wanted to share my story with everyone. This is truly a swift kick in the nuts, lol. On the bright side I get my iForged Daytona’s tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

well, thats why you dont drive around for 3 days without wiping the water off your car. It rarely ever rains in socal, but it did the other night. Luckily it was night time and it was raining as i was driving. So as soon as i got home, what little water was on my car i quickly dried off, and then quick detailed my car. I mean it sucks but 3 days of rain pounding on your car and then sun drying it over and over again...........is going to cause water spots. Im a psycho when it comes to my car though, i quick detail and clean the wheels multiple times a day after driving (its garage kept as well, and of course the car is sealed and everything always waxed with multiple layers), i've gone 3 weeks without a single car wash and i swear my car looks like it just left the BMW factory( im going to post a thread after i hit 4 weeks without a wash, you'll be amazed). Your best bet to get the job done fast and easy is to use a DA or porter cable, not a polish orbital or a rotary. Use some sort of mildly abrasive polish too. Then dont forget the multiple layers of wax after!

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

this reminds me, i gotta go wipe off the coat of carnuba wax that i put on my wheels an hour ago.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

if you were from socal, id tell you to come over and let me work my skill into your paint. But the best i can do is answer your questions to the best of my knowledge

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Mo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

The same exact thing happened to me with just one rain.... Can you give me an explanation of how you applied the perfect it polish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335SWEETNESS View Post
Just a rant about cleaning my car.... Well It rained for 3 days straight, which means of course my car was dirty for 3 days straight. I go to clean it today with a 25 min wash getting everything I could reach. Making sure not a speck of dirt was left. As soon as I light up the garage to wax the car I noticed my car's paint has been violated. There are water spots every where from the rain! I try the vinegar and water trick, nothing. I try some wax and polishing, nothing. Then I try some Perfect it Polish and guess what, it works. Only thing I've got enough for 2 panels. So I’m stuck with a car blemished with water spots, good stuff. Now here’s my take on this, I’ve owned 5 other cars before this one 2 of them being BMW’s. This is the only one that I’ve had this problem with. I would have thought that a brand new paint job would not have had this problem. Even more so that I put to coats of sealant wax on the car before this. It just amazes me that the clear coat is so vulnerable to water spots. I’m sure this situation has been posted before but I just wanted to share my story with everyone. This is truly a swift kick in the nuts, lol. On the bright side I get my iForged Daytona’s tomorrow.
      10-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep

There’s no use in trying to wipe off my car with a thick layer of god knows on the paint. I might was well use sand paper on the paint if I where to wipe it off each night. Out of all the other cars I've own this is the only one I've been ambushed on. Trusted me when I say I'm very good when it comes to cleaning my cars. I do not like repeating the wipe down due to the amount of scratches that would come out of it. The dirt here is very nasty! Plus there’s no way I could just go out side of my work just to wipe down my car.... I wish I could but I can't. The perfect it is very simple to use. Apply to area and polished it in. Do not let it sit on the paint, this will not get you the results your looking for. Apply to paint and immediately polish it in. works great! I’m using a 3M form polishing pad by the way.

Last edited by M3SWEETNESS; 10-15-2007 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There’s no use in trying to wipe off my car with a thick layer of god knows on the paint. I might was well use sand paper on the paint if I where to wipe it off each night. Out of all the other cars I've own this is the only one I've been ambushed on. Trusted me when I say I'm very good when it comes to cleaning my cars. I do not like repeating the wipe down due to the amount of scratches that would come out of it. The dirt here is very nasty! Plus there’s no way I could just go out side of my work just to wipe down my car.... I wish I could but I can't. The perfect it is very simple to use. Apply to area and polished it in. Do not let it sit on the paint, this will not get you the results your looking for. Apply to paint and immediately polish it in. works great! I’m using a 3M form polishing pad by the way.
well i dont get thick layers on my car like what your describing, so no, it just must be that your dust is nasty. Anyway, i never allow a layer of dust like that to be built. My car is in a garage at home and at work. Matter of fact, the only time my car is in the elements is when im driving it. And no, its not like using sand paper man, my paint is pretty much flawless. But to each his own and i respect your methods for use on your own car and I wish you luck with the waterspots

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 03:05 AM   #8
Mo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Does anyone know of a product that takes off water marks and gives the car a shine without using all those tools (Buffer, Polishing machine, etc.) I'm really curious to know if there is something out there that is easy to use and that requires just a simple wash; any advice?....
      10-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have SG and take proper care of my car through spring and fall prep. Rain can do whatever it wants to my paint, I get zero waterspots no matter how long and how many times over the car dries naturally.

I suggest you read up and the proper steps to detailing your car. EX. Wash, Clay, Polish 1, Polish 2, Sealant, wait a day and Wax. You'll be amazed at how easy the upkeep is after a nice days work. The process lasts for about 6 months as well.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Does anyone know of a product that takes off water marks and gives the car a shine without using all those tools (Buffer, Polishing machine, etc.) I'm really curious to know if there is something out there that is easy to use and that requires just a simple wash; any advice?....
There is only one remedy that will cure your water marks, his user id is picus, look him up. If he is too far for you to drive to, I am sure there is a picus in every town. For those who have garages, we are blessed...
      10-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Did you not wax or seal your paint prior to the rain?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Did you not wax or seal your paint prior to the rain?
his OP says he did

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
his OP says he did
Guess it was tough to read the whole thing without the enter button being used.

A good compound wax will take care of the acid rain. It will remove some of the sealant too though so you will have to redo that.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
That's what u get for living in Texas!! *Joking*. In all honesty, I'm not impressed with the BMW paint this time around. The CC seems significantly softer than what was applied to my E46.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #15
M3SWEETNESS
Watch This!
United_States
Rep

Well I got all the water spots off... Just took 2 rounds of polishing. Next time I'll be prepared lol.
Appreciate 0