E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Error Codes- Limp Mode

10-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
JRP
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 xi

Error Codes- Limp Mode

I received the following error codes on my E90 325 xi-
P0442
P1056
P1030
P1561

Plus the car goes into limp mode, when it decides to. Car is not reliable now.

I just had the dealer change the valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft sensor, per dealer diagnostics, and it cost me over $1600! The suggested a new gas cap too, and forgot to install it (but I paid for one!) That there just turned me off too. All this was suppose to take care of the car going into limp mode, lack of power, and sometimes; not even starting up.

The car is still having the same problems as it went in for. I am not happy. I have not talk to dealer yet because All they want to do is charge $90 every time they plug the OBD scanner in to it and tell me a code. I feel the dealer is just playing parts changer at this point. Any suggestions on what I should do for a next step? I can do pretty much take on any DIY project. I have a full blown shop on our farm. Just needed a little guidance. Thanks. Jon
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
WynterFreshEVO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 / E82 128i / GSXR750

invest your $90 in an obd2 scanner

2002 E46 M3 / 2010 E82 128i Msport / 2015 Suzuki GSXR600
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Since you brought it in to fix the issue and they changed out all those parts to address the issue, just bring it back and tell them to fix it and this time your not paying a dime as it was supposedly address with the change of parts and $1600 later it's not fixed. Don't fix it yourself at this point yourself as you paid money to them and it's not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
mrjoe
joseph
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90 N52

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
A few things can cause the trans to go into LIMP mode. However Limp mode is not only an "ACTIVE" code (a normal OBD cannot clear or reset) but it is also a code that will remain active even if the problem is resolved. It stays in limp mode until the dealership resets the code through IMPA in the transmission module, not the engine module and wont just go off when the problem is fixed. Many at home DIY people dump money and pull thier hair out for this issue using the "swap and pray" method.

One issue that i had was the crank/ camshaft sensors. If one goes out and is unable to communicate with the other one it will lock the car in LIMP mode.
      10-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
JRP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Since you brought it in to fix the issue and they changed out all those parts to address the issue, just bring it back and tell them to fix it and this time your not paying a dime as it was supposedly address with the change of parts and $1600 later it's not fixed. Don't fix it yourself at this point yourself as you paid money to them and it's not fixed.
I agree. I will talk to dealer and request they make it right!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
JRP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe View Post
A few things can cause the trans to go into LIMP mode. However Limp mode is not only an "ACTIVE" code (a normal OBD cannot clear or reset) but it is also a code that will remain active even if the problem is resolved. It stays in limp mode until the dealership resets the code through IMPA in the transmission module, not the engine module and wont just go off when the problem is fixed. Many at home DIY people dump money and pull thier hair out for this issue using the "swap and pray" method.

One issue that i had was the crank/ camshaft sensors. If one goes out and is unable to communicate with the other one it will lock the car in LIMP mode.
The car is a 6-speed manual so I believe the limp mode is with the engine. Thx Jon
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
JRP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe View Post

I already had the crankshaft sensor replaced by the BMW dealer about 4-months ago...and know this!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Ebzzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 525i

Same problem help!

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I have code p1056 right now please help
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
I received the following error codes on my E90 325 xi-
P0442
P1056
P1030
P1561

Plus the car goes into limp mode, when it decides to. Car is not reliable now.

I just had the dealer change the valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft sensor, per dealer diagnostics, and it cost me over $1600! The suggested a new gas cap too, and forgot to install it (but I paid for one!) That there just turned me off too. All this was suppose to take care of the car going into limp mode, lack of power, and sometimes; not even starting up.

The car is still having the same problems as it went in for. I am not happy. I have not talk to dealer yet because All they want to do is charge $90 every time they plug the OBD scanner in to it and tell me a code. I feel the dealer is just playing parts changer at this point. Any suggestions on what I should do for a next step? I can do pretty much take on any DIY project. I have a full blown shop on our farm. Just needed a little guidance. Thanks. Jon
Appreciate 0