E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Dealer software update

09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
farb
teh Rider!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Exclamation Dealer software update

Need some quick answers here guys.

My dealer tells me that I need software updates both for me engine (DME) and transmission. The problem is that I have some custom coding for nice to have features such as corner light delete, windows up & fold mirrors with FOB,etc. and I really don't know if the software update will erase them. If it does, I will probably need to make a backup first correct?

Thank for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
cyrano
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: E61 530XD chipped

Not quite, first question is if dealer would update only engine and tranny , if yes ( and this is odd cause their soft usually didnt allowed to update single modules) than your coding is safe, if not and they will update whole car you will loose all settings, and now you have two options :

- Your other modules are quite new so there will be no big update for them , you can restore your coding copy

- Your other modules are quite old and there are many updates for modules you cannot restore your coding cause many times in updated modules many values have changed and you will get error after error trying to restore it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
farb
teh Rider!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Not quite, first question is if dealer would update only engine and tranny , if yes ( and this is odd cause their soft usually didnt allowed to update single modules) than your coding is safe, if not and they will update whole car you will loose all settings, and now you have two options :

- Your other modules are quite new so there will be no big update for them , you can restore your coding copy

- Your other modules are quite old and there are many updates for modules you cannot restore your coding cause many times in updated modules many values have changed and you will get error after error trying to restore it
Yes I assume my modules are quite old. I haven't performed an update since 2011. So I'm thinking I can't even simply copy/paste the file. Each line of code and value has to be carefully reviewed and changed in the updated version.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

I don't mean to thread jack(well maybe a little) but how can I get the dealership to do these types of software updates. Mine hasn't been updated since like 08/09 and when I took it in to see if they would do it they looked at me like I was all kinds of crazy. Also what is the cost for such updates?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
I don't mean to thread jack(well maybe a little) but how can I get the dealership to do these types of software updates. Mine hasn't been updated since like 08/09 and when I took it in to see if they would do it they looked at me like I was all kinds of crazy. Also what is the cost for such updates?
Stealers will charge an hourly rate. Update as I've read on here takes ~2.5 hrs.. I highly doubt it takes that long but thats what stealers do.. You do the math at stealers rate.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Stealers will charge an hourly rate. Update as I've read on here takes ~2.5 hrs.. I highly doubt it takes that long but thats what stealers do.. You do the math at stealers rate.
Does it really help anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Does it really help anything?
Unless you car is crapping out and you definitely know that it's a software issue then only help there is piece of mind that the car is updated and sgouldn't be an issue future wise. In hindsight, they might not even touch some of the modules in your car just because they don't use them anymore. They were replaced with newer ones with more functionality. Mostly LCI cars would benefit from an update than us pre-lci brethens.

Won't say it wouldn't fix some issues but if your car is fine its like meh.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
cyrano
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: E61 530XD chipped

90% of my customers at my workshop and remote customers wants me to do software update , many of them nitice the differences, in Europe dealership cost is about 400-600 $
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Most dealerships won't do a software update just because you ask. Mainly because there's always the risk something could fail and render a module completely dead.

Dealerships only usually update software if there is a SIB stating that the fix is an update of the software on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
farb
teh Rider!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Most dealerships won't do a software update just because you ask. Mainly because there's always the risk something could fail and render a module completely dead.

Dealerships only usually update software if there is a SIB stating that the fix is an update of the software on the vehicle.
Really? I always assumed whenever I take my car in for some work (still under CPO), they will perform any outstanding software upgrades for free??!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by farb View Post
Really? I always assumed whenever I take my car in for some work (still under CPO), they will perform any outstanding software upgrades for free??!
Incorrect, software updates are only done when there's a SIB requiring them to update a module (and therefore the whole car).

If you are under CPO and there's an issue which the SIB states to update the car's software to ISTA/P version X.XX or higher, they will do it under CPO. Or if a part that requires programming is replaced (say like the Combox is bad and needed to be replaced), then they will update the software on the car.

Dealerships don't like to update the software unless it's absolutely required, mainly for the reason I stated earlier. A module could get bricked and then they have to replace it, etc, etc.

If it's warranty work, they can claim the cost on warranty but if it's out-of-warranty, someone is on the hook to pay for the part, either the dealership or the vehicle owner.

It's very much the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Software updates aren't always good (like the software update that made 335's lose power that wasn't fixed until months later).
Appreciate 0