BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board why do benz owners hate us?

10-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

why do benz owners hate us?

To make a long story short light just turned yellow, it is a four way intersection I was going straight and he (the benz owner) was trying to make a left turned so I go through and stop right next to him because of traffic, he rolled down his window and started to curse at me I just simled because I found it funny, but I did catch him saying bmws are gay, I don't think he was jealous since his benz was a CLK550, but anyway it was kind of funny, and I thought I should share my moring drive
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Because we hate ourselves too(or what some posters make it seem).
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Because we hate ourselves too(or what some posters make it seem).
very sad but true I get dirty looks from bmw owners as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
PMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Could you have let him in? I assume that he had his turn signal in since you knew what he was trying to do, yes?

Part of the problem between drivers is the current "dual use" of roadways. In the old days, roads were used to travel from one point to another more quickly than walking. The idea was that if you were in one place, and needed to be in another place, you could use your car to go straight, turn, maybe go straight some more or turn a few times, eventually stop and you would be in the place that you needed to be.

Nowadays, we have to share the roadway with the ARRL (the "Amateur Road Racing League") which is primarily devoted to the pursuit of driving very fast from light to light in a straight line. The ARRL, unlike a professional league like Formula 1, has loose rules regarding blocking - so racers are free to use multiple lane changes, cutting off, and other tactics to "win" their races. This can be very difficult for old fashioned drivers who are really more interested in getting to their destination since their use of turn signals to signal non-racers that they need to move over a lane in order to make a turn would naturally be considered a signal to perform a blocking maneuver by a racer such as yourself.

I suspect that the Mercedes driver, despite the use of a challenging - perhaps even mocking - automobile was not attempting to race you or challenge your manhood. Rather, I suspect he was trying to make a turn and wanted you to allow him the use of the roadway. It is just one of those things that happen in today's driving environment. I would simply chalk it up to someone "driving an inferior car who does not have a sufficient amount of respect for your speed and power" and forget about it. At least it wasn't a minivan full of kids trying to get to the soccer field - those things are the worst obstacles on the road and really should be forced to sit in the stands while the race is going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
retlod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
To make a long story short light just turned yellow, it is a four way intersection I was going straight and he (the benz owner) was trying to make a left turned so I go through and stop right next to him because of traffic, he rolled down his window and started to curse at me I just simled because I found it funny, but I did catch him saying bmws are gay, I don't think he was jealous since his benz was a CLK550, but anyway it was kind of funny, and I thought I should share my moring drive
WTF. I haven't a clue as to what actually happened. Stop sign? Light? Were you driving opposite directions? How did you end up next to him if he turned and you went straight? How about some cardinal directions? Or some periods?
35% Tint | Golf Tee
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

sounds like the guy is a flaming asshole. Ive never had a problem with Benz owners. I usually get thumps up from people driving mercedes or other bimmers. I dont think it had anything to do with you driving a BMW. He was probably just pissed off due to the circumstances
      10-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

They hate us because their cars don't come in manual...and they get bored when they drive and their A.D.D kicks in and they cuss...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
kham619
United_States
Rep
Drives: walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP View Post
Could you have let him in? I assume that he had his turn signal in since you knew what he was trying to do, yes?

Part of the problem between drivers is the current "dual use" of roadways. In the old days, roads were used to travel from one point to another more quickly than walking. The idea was that if you were in one place, and needed to be in another place, you could use your car to go straight, turn, maybe go straight some more or turn a few times, eventually stop and you would be in the place that you needed to be.

Nowadays, we have to share the roadway with the ARRL (the "Amateur Road Racing League") which is primarily devoted to the pursuit of driving very fast from light to light in a straight line. The ARRL, unlike a professional league like Formula 1, has loose rules regarding blocking - so racers are free to use multiple lane changes, cutting off, and other tactics to "win" their races. This can be very difficult for old fashioned drivers who are really more interested in getting to their destination since their use of turn signals to signal non-racers that they need to move over a lane in order to make a turn would naturally be considered a signal to perform a blocking maneuver by a racer such as yourself.

I suspect that the Mercedes driver, despite the use of a challenging - perhaps even mocking - automobile was not attempting to race you or challenge your manhood. Rather, I suspect he was trying to make a turn and wanted you to allow him the use of the roadway. It is just one of those things that happen in today's driving environment. I would simply chalk it up to someone "driving an inferior car who does not have a sufficient amount of respect for your speed and power" and forget about it. At least it wasn't a minivan full of kids trying to get to the soccer field - those things are the worst obstacles on the road and really should be forced to sit in the stands while the race is going on.
Are you that Mercedez driver?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
They hate us because their cars don't come in manual...and they get bored when they drive and their A.D.D kicks in and they cuss...
hmmm....some of them come in manual, I dont get bored driving mine, I get comfortable. And I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD.....and to the OP I don't hate you guys
      10-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kham619 View Post
Are you that Mercedez driver?
im one of the ARRLs and i still thought it was pretty dam funny
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
hmmm....some of them come in manual, I dont get bored driving mine, I get comfortable. And I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD.....and to the OP I don't hate you guys

very rare few...but cars like SL600 and SL55 AMG should be available in a manual...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
leejoobin
help
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

i had one mb c-class owner telling me how beautiful my e90 was.
so i told him the samething.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

who cares, they can hate all they want, what are they going to do...

I had a clk550 driver behind me and we both take the off ramp exit at 5pm (you know the time of the day where you are just eshausted of sitting in traffic jams). Well, apparently I was driving too slow for him so before the off ramp merges into traffic, he went around me over the solid double white lines on the side kicking up debris. All that work that he did so he can be in front of me and we both heading for the same gas station. He and I got out to pump gas, he stares at me but did not say anything to me (coz I done nothing wrong). I think he was embarass by his childish action on the road and yet it did not get him to his destination any faster then my route. I know he was pissed because he took off pretty hard with tire screetching. More stress for him then me.
      10-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #14
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
very rare few...but cars like SL600 and SL55 AMG should be available in a manual...
While I do agree with you that more of them should come manual, but if you have ever driven a 55 ,600 , or 65 you will understand why they are autos only.
      10-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #15
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I like the SLR Mclaren and women.
      10-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
LMBlau
Matador
Spain
Rep
Drives: Golf GTI, E90 320d

my dad is a benz owner and he does not hate me... or does he?
      10-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #17
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

he hates you, youre adopted
      10-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #18
LMBlau
Matador
Spain
Rep
Drives: Golf GTI, E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
he hates you, youre adopted
      10-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #19
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlod View Post
WTF. I haven't a clue as to what actually happened. Stop sign? Light? Were you driving opposite directions? How did you end up next to him if he turned and you went straight? How about some cardinal directions? Or some periods?
it was at a light, I'd draw a diagram, but don't have paintshop at work. I was next to him because he wasn't able to make the turn so he had to stop at the red light, so I was next to him due to traffic. Like this

(benz tring to make a left turn)

(me going straight)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #20
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
it was at a light, I'd draw a diagram, but don't have paintshop at work. I was next to him because he wasn't able to make the turn so he had to stop at the red light, so I was next to him due to traffic. Like this

(benz tring to make a left turn)

(me going straight)
If that is your definition of next to, I based on your smileys, he is not next to you but behind you.
      10-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:

absolutely hilarious! best thing i've read in a while... even though im in the "league"
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #22
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Appreciate 0