E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine just stopped

08-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
miketakkk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi guys

This is for an 07 E90 328i.

So I turned on my car like normal tonight, didn't hear anything unusual and was backing out of my driveway when the car and engine just stopped and the engine service light came on. From my memory, i think all the lights in my car went off except the yellow engine service light. My car was still in reverse and halfway off the curb.

I didn't realize my car was still in drive when I tried turning the car off and back on, but when I tried taking out the keys and I couldn't that's when I realized the car was in drive. At this time only the electrical stuff would turn on and off when pressing the button. The car would say its in Drive when the engine wasnt even on. When I put it back into park, turned everything off, and tried again, the car started. I simply drove my car back up into the driveway so I don't know if this will happen again.

My car hasn't had any issues lately so this is a surprise and I'm worried!!

Any thoughts of what this could be before I contact BMW tomorrow?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

It's normal that your car cannot start when it's not in P. The computer won't allow that even on a fully working car.

Now for your particular issue, it's hard to say anything with so little info. They'll read the codes with the computer and that will tell the story quickly, but if sudden it looks like an electrical/fueling problem.
Appreciate 0