F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Faster lap times in Comfort setting (?)
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Faster lap times in Comfort setting (?)

I've read a few times recently that cars with adjustable dampers turned faster lap times in Comfort mode than in Sport... anyone have any informed thoughts on why?

Unless it's a bumpy track, and the sport mode is too stiff to keep the tires planted on the ground, seems a bit counter-intuitive.
      08-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I dunno about that... Bumpywillow... err... Buttonwillow Raceway is not the smoothest racetrack but for sure Sport was definitely the setting to use. I forgot to switch from Comfort to Sport and as soon as I hit the first part of the track with slight elevation change I could tell something was amiss. There are some portions of the track with nasty depressions which racers avoid because it does upset the chassis but even in Sport/+ DHP can handle them with no issues. In fact, I'd argue it could be even a tad bit stiffer, especially if running Rcomps.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I agree, it's hard to imagine a car running faster laps in Comfort. I believe the last article I read that mentioned this was at the Nurburgring - can't remember for sure...
      08-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Depends on tires. On the crappy stock tires the car comes with, I wouldn't be surprised if it was faster in comfort mode. If you don't have proper tires, the last thing you want is stiff suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good point about tires... that may be a big part of it.
      08-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

I saw somewhere a test done with a vette. Same driver, same track, same conditions, etc. No matter the mode the times were the same. While it doesn't necessarily apply specifically to the F30 I think the concept remains the same. Really I think it boils down to a driver's preference.

I forgot to put on sport in one session and my times were no better/worse. I didn't even realize it until I looked down afterwards. No DHP, so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I can see how it's possible if you're not used to driving a lot on the track. The softer damper settings will absorb jerky and abrupt hand movement typical of first time or poor driving on track, while the stiffer sport setting will cause the car to become unsettled if you apply said jerky and rough inputs.

I'll bet the "rumor" probably started with some journalist writing that their lap times are faster in the comfort mode than sports mode. I've seen how typical automotive journalists drive. It's not pretty.

Hard for me to fathom that if your inputs are smooth, that the quicker responding, stiffer sports mode would actually impede your track time.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I can see how it's possible if you're not used to driving a lot on the track. The softer damper settings will absorb jerky and abrupt hand movement typical of first time or poor driving on track, while the stiffer sport setting will cause the car to become unsettled if you apply said jerky and rough inputs.

I'll bet the "rumor" probably started with some journalist writing that their lap times are faster in the comfort mode than sports mode. I've seen how typical automotive journalists drive. It's not pretty.

Hard for me to fathom that if your inputs are smooth, that the quicker responding, stiffer sports mode would actually impede your track time.
Actually the driver was Mike Skeen IIRC. Not a rumor. Info was from a first hand account. I guess I should have said "heard" not saw. I agree though. Journalists can definitely be full of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone have any links to articles or tests where this claim (faster times in comfort mode) is made?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Top Gear tested the Golf GTI with adaptive and the Stig was fastest in comfort mode.
There were also a thread with quotes from some BMW development technician that said that sport mode was just harder to give the impression that it was sportier (to satisfy the customer).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I believe stiffer settings donīt necessarily make that much of a difference, but the quicker pedal response and higher/more available boost (higher kept rpms) should make a difference... Do all brands with adaptive settings affect the engine as well?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
On the track the other day in my new F30, I noticed that the body roll that the stock Adaptive M Suspension does have was not really a hindrance. On such a smooth, consistent surface - with a focus on smooth inputs and weight transition - the suspension had no problem whatsoever keeping the tires planted on the ground and delivering tenacious grip. I never once "noticed" body roll or found it to be an issue.
I didn't try "Comfort" mode (I was in Sport+ the whole time), but the take away for me was that I didn't feel like the lack of rock-hard suspension was holding me back.