E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Recoding Hifi head unit

08-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
Recoding Hifi head unit

My BMW HIFI head unit was replaced with a refurbished one due to pixel issues. My bluetooth is no longer working. Not sure if there are other features that I am missing yet.

Is there a way to code the new head unit to the activate the options I had previously, bluetooth, etc.

Thank you for your help.
      08-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
noberryafterdingle
Registered
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc3libras View Post
My BMW HIFI head unit was replaced with a refurbished one due to pixel issues. My bluetooth is no longer working. Not sure if there are other features that I am missing yet.

Is there a way to code the new head unit to the activate the options I had previously, bluetooth, etc.

Thank you for your help.
E89 also applies to E81 - E82 - E84 - E87 - E88 - E90 - E91 - E92 - E93
1RAD
2RAD
4BMOT
4DMOT
6BMOT
6DMOT
ABG - Airbag module
ACC
AFS
AHM
AMPT
BFGB
BFS
CAS (FA)
CAPPL
CANS
CAUDI
CGATE
CHOST
CIC - Car Infotainment Computer
CID
CTUNE
CVM
DAB
DSC
DWAI
DWAS
EGS
EHC
EKP
EPS
FAS
FAGB
FLA
FRM (FA)
FZD
IHK
JBFF
JTCU
KOMBI
LDM
LSMC
RSMC
MASK
MULF
PDC - Park Distance Control
PGS
RLS
SHD
TCUM
TGBT
TGFT
VGSG
Now this guide will touch on the basics to code INDIVIDUAL items on your car. The steps to add items to your VO and code your modules is different and i wont comment on that here, because it will confuse the amateur. Just understand the basics of individual coding first, then coding from your VO will all make sense later.

3. The next part is to download your factory settings in your car to your PC. Once you get the VO loaded, you hit the BACK button. The default job in NCS is to write SO BE VERY CAREFUL here. You will see all your modules listed, for example "EWS,ABG,ASC,KMB,APL,.....etc" and underneath "SG_CODIEREN"

NCS at this point is set to SG_CODIEREN, which means to WRITE to ALL modules listed. You dont want to do that.

4. So now select "Process ECU", and select the INDIVIDUAL MODULE you want to code. For example LSZ (light switch module). Once you do this, it will say only LSZ (and not all the modules in your car).

5. Now you want to change the job from WRITE to READ. Select "CHANGE JOB", then select "CODIERDATEN_LESEN". This is to READ DATA.

6. Once selected it will confirm this by indicating the module and job type on the screen. Now you are ready. Hit "EXECUTE JOB".

It will say Coding Activ, then Coding Ended.

7. At this point, in your NCSexpert/WORK/ folder there will be a file called "FSW_PSW.TRC"

This is what we want, the coding of your LSZ module that we read earlier. IMMEDIATELY save a backup of this file, rename it to FSW_PSW_LSZ_ORIGINAL.TRC and save it somewhere incase you decide you want to revert to the original copy. Now I want you to resave another copy of this FSW_PSW.TRC file as FSW_PSW.MAN (manipulation...hint hint). Make sure it doesnt save as FSW_PSW.MAN.TXT or some crap like that, it wont work properly.

OK why all this juggling?? because NCS expert only reads modules and saves EVERYTHING as a FSW_PSW.TRC file. Regardless of what module you read in your car, this is what the filename will be. And everytime you load NCS expert, this file is constantly erased, written and re-written. So thats why we are saving it as FSW_PSW.MAN so we can alter it safely without our copy being overwritten.

8. Now open up FSW_PSW.MAN with a text editor.

You will see a long list of stuff like this..

LEUCHTWEITENREG_AUTOM
aktiv
FEHLER_BREMSLICHT
nicht_melden
TAGFAHRLICHT
aktiv

This is where you can code. now its all in german, so you will need to run these words in a translator (google) to understand it, OR you can use NCS Dummy that translates this stuff for you and gives you all available parameters, but thats a whole different program and you ought to learn how to use it.

This is what the above looks like if translated. Now you can see how we can deactivate/activate certain things. Im going to deactivate DRLs here.
Translated...

AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHT CONTROL
active
BRAKE LIGHT ERROR REPORTING
dont report
DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
active

edited...

LEUCHTWEITENREG_AUTOM
aktiv
FEHLER_BREMSLICHT
nicht_melden
TAGFAHRLICHT
nicht_aktiv

By changing to nicht_activ, it deactivates this setting. Now dont go crazy, some codes are redundant so changing just one thing wont do the trick. This takes some time and effort to find the right code/codes to work with.

9. Once you are happy, SAVE your FSW_PSW.MAN file.

10. Open up NCS expert, load up "revtors" profile (with manipulation enabled), and reload it to the part where the VO is loaded and its asking you to process ecu (Basically steps 1-3) Look above how to do this. Once you're there, select "PROCESS ECU", select the correct module you are coding, in this case "LSZ". Then select "CHANGE JOB" and make sure you pick "SG_CODIEREN". Once this is done, you are ready to code the car.

NCS will basically now take the FSW_PSW.MAN file, and overwrite the codes in your car's LSZ module with your new settings. It only uses the MAN file because you are using a profile with "manipulation" enabled. The other mode "expertmode" does not have manipulation, and you cannot code individual stuff like this using that profile.

11. Hit "EXECUTE JOB". Wait till it says "Coding ended". Now your new LSZ is coded. Turn off the car, and restart, and check to see if your results are as expected!

12. Open up the /WORK/ folder, open the FSW_PSW.MAN file, select all, delete, save and exit.

Viola! Thats it. You are now an expert on coding individual features!

if have any questions post them ill help to the best of my knowledge.... i had to recode my mask cause i got a used one.... pretty much u dont have to open the work folder just use expertmode and select mask after selecting chasis... read mask module then write to mask module just to clear a few steps frm above

Last edited by noberryafterdingle; 08-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

Instead of starting a new thread (bump)...
I understand the above for coding the module but,
I have an 10/2008 head unit in an 07/2009 car. How do I change Vin and date to match my car? I get a fault on my mostgw says mismatch. And I get conflicting gong noises.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by james008
Instead of starting a new thread (bump)...
I understand the above for coding the module but,
I have an 10/2008 head unit in an 07/2009 car. How do I change Vin and date to match my car? I get a fault on my mostgw says mismatch. And I get conflicting gong noises.
WinKFP will allow you to input your VIN into a module. I did this to my 2URAD and its gateway. Both took 15-20 minutes each. That doesn't do much for what your saying though bud. You need to make sure your VO is accurate.