E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Consumption

08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 550I V8 (N62TU)

Oil Consumption

Engine Oil Consumption
Technical Service SI B11 03 13
This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B11 05 84 dated March 1985.

MODEL: All

Information
All engines normally consume a certain amount of engine oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, valves and turbocharger(s), if equipped. In addition, engines with less than 6,000 miles will generally consume additional engine oil because the internal engine components are not fully seated (break-in). Therefore, engine oil consumption complaints received prior to 6,000 miles cannot be considered.

Once a new or remanufactured engine has accumulated 6,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.

Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine.

All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized. Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect.

Oil Consumption specification:
- All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.
- Due to the increased engine power, all Motorsport engines can consume up to 2.5 quarts of engine oil per 1,000 miles at any time.

Diagnostic hints:
When an oil consumption complaint is received, it may be possible to correct it without performing extensive engine repairs. Check the following frequent causes of excessive oil consumption prior to undertaking any engine consumption analysis or repairs. Submit a PuMA case for assistance.

Proper Maintenance:
Has the vehicle received proper maintenance? Certain external conditions (mainly city driving style and/or high engine loads; poor fuel quality; and extreme ambient temperatures), combined with excessively long oil service intervals, may accelerate engine oil degradation, which may cause premature wear of the engine components. Continuous city driving (stop-and-go traffic); fuels with high olefin content; sulfur and certain aromatic fractions; and very high ambient temperatures are the most influential factors causing premature oil aging and consecutive engine mechanical deterioration.

External Leakage:
The engine should be leak-free before starting any engine oil consumption analysis.

Overfilling:
If the oil level is too high, oil in the crankcase will be thrown against the cylinder walls and consumed. Check the dipstick markings or electronic measurement (as equipped) to be sure of accuracy. The oil level must not be higher than the upper mark.

Engine Oil Viscosity/Quality:
The use of oil with the wrong viscosity rating for operating conditions can cause high oil consumption. Check the Owner's Manual to determine the proper viscosity for prevailing conditions.

Engine Speed and Load:
If vehicle operating conditions are severe, oil consumption will be higher than normal. Extreme load or continuous high engine speed will result in increased oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation:
The crankcase ventilation systems use various different crankcase ventilation valves, depending on the engine type. Although the valves all look different, they function similarly, using a spring and diaphragm assembly to control the crankcase pressure. A properly functioning pressure control valve is designed to maintain a slight vacuum (under-pressure) in the crankcase, which assures reliable crankcase venting during all engine operating conditions. One of the results of a malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system can be increased engine oil consumption. Refer to SI B11 03 08 for measuring specifications and procedures.
http://www.shipkiller.com/SI%20B%201...ept%202009.pdf

Turbocharged Engines:
Engines that are fitted with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than naturally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged engines). In this case, a turbocharged engine could require topping of engine oil more frequently. For vehicles with N63 and N63T engines, refer to SI B11 01 13 for additional details.

****This note was copied from a BMW Technical Training manual
Note: If the exhaust system produces blue smoke, it is necessary to check whether the engine is also drawing oil into the combustion chamber through the crankcase breather, which suggest that there is a fault in the area of the crankcase breather. A clear sign of a problem is an oiled up clean-air pipe.

Operating Fluids & Capacities 1/2013
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/attachm...3&d=1364773133

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 08-13-2013 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: info
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I go through about a quart of oil every 8 miles in my BMW. Is that excessive?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

A quart every 750 mi is normal? That sounds excessive to me. Believe my turbo seals are pushing oil through, but the consumption has fallen a good deal since going to 5W-40 Motul (from 5W-30 OEM). The smoke is still there, but for whatever reason the oil isn’t being consumed at the same rate. One thing I’ve never fully understood. The smoke that my car emits under vacuum (only smokes coming to a stop) is not really blue, it’s more a grey/white color. But it’s just not coolant; I’ve never gotten a low coolant warning or had to top off between flushes. So I’m 99% positive it’s oil, but the color isn’t that traditional blueish hue. It smells like oil, coincides with oil loss, leaves an oily/sooty coating on my exhaust. So everything screams “oil leak/burn”, but the color throws me off a bit.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Wait... What?

08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
Engine Oil Consumption
Oil Consumption specification:
- All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.
Did they just increased the consumption tolerance again?

Didn't it used to be 1 quart per 1000 miles (which IMO is already A LOT) from reading one of the older threads where someone posted a scanned copy of the report from BMW stating this...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I thought a diesel would get better mileage then 8.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
A quart every 750 mi is normal? That sounds excessive to me. Believe my turbo seals are pushing oil through, but the consumption has fallen a good deal since going to 5W-40 Motul (from 5W-30 OEM). The smoke is still there, but for whatever reason the oil isn’t being consumed at the same rate. One thing I’ve never fully understood. The smoke that my car emits under vacuum (only smokes coming to a stop) is not really blue, it’s more a grey/white color. But it’s just not coolant; I’ve never gotten a low coolant warning or had to top off between flushes. So I’m 99% positive it’s oil, but the color isn’t that traditional blueish hue. It smells like oil, coincides with oil loss, leaves an oily/sooty coating on my exhaust. So everything screams “oil leak/burn”, but the color throws me off a bit.

Oil consumption was excessive - It smoked - I was told I needed valve stem seals

My car (didn't pass smog & couldn't renew registration);
2006 BMW 550I – 92,000 miles – V8 (N62TU)
Smokes (white/gray/blue) – failed visual – Smog Report (15 mph – HC ppm Measured 91 – Max. 49)

Symptoms & history;
It used oil (approx. 1 qt. per 2-3 tanks) and I read the history of V8 valve stem problems (internet & local shop research), I was about to have the valve guide/stem seals replaced or drive the car off a cliff. But it didn’t have the classic symptoms of defective valve stem seals/guides. It also ran like a rapped ape (old school for ran great). I’m a heavy truck mechanic with old school car experience (35 years). The plugs were clean and the exhaust smelled funny, also the exhaust dripped clean water no matter how hot or long it ran. I pulled the intake throttle housing and noticed excessive oil. Replaced the (ccv) diaphragms in the valve covers (torn) & read up on the cyclone oil separator (like a Dyson vacuum). Because I wasn’t happy with the oil consumption & residue in the intake, I fabricated a Scotch Brite pad filter with screen for each valve cover vent outlet. As well as a pre-filter for the CCV diaphragm base. This cleaned out the oil residue and has greatly reduced oil consumption while allowing crankcase recirculation. I pulled the spark plugs and stuck a camera down a couple plug holes. Yes, the top of the pistons were loaded with carbon. So I sprayed Sea Foam in each plug hole, followed by a shot of low pressure shop air to help spread it around the piston. I let it sit for an hour or so, then reinstalled the plugs. I topped off the fuel tank with high octane and added 12 oz. of CRC Fuel System Cleaner (part #05063) to the tank. 100 miles later and what a difference – no smoke or water dipping out the exhaust after warm up.

****This note was copied from a BMW Technical Training manual
Note: If the exhaust system produces blue smoke, it is necessary to check whether the engine is also drawing oil into the combustion chamber through the crankcase breather, which suggest that there is a fault in the area of the crankcase breather. A clear sign of a problem is an oiled up clean-air pipe.

****The Variable Intake Manifold acts like a giant catch can. Pull the Intake Throttle and suck out any oil that may have accumulated in the base.

****The valve stem diameter was increase at a production point (you would assume) to remedy the guide problem. I don't believe BMW would use inferior stem seals after this change, if ever. My vehicle has now passed smog test & no longer smokes. I did have to run the proceedure twice before it lowerd the HC levels within specs. I will use the Chevron fuel treatment from this point on. (See attached TSB) It cost me $200 to fix compared to the $4000 > $5000 I was told it would take for a guide/seal replacement.
SI B 13 05 06 & SI B 13 01 07

**** Day 60+/- 1600+ miles later NO smoke or excessive water from tailpipe - It also only used 1/2 qt. oil **** I changed to a 5w-40 synthetic - I'm also adding 12oz. Techron Concentrate Plus every 2-3 tanks to combat the existing carbon (for now).
For those of you seasoned mechanics replacing guides & seals - This worked for me - my vehicle - my situation - but I believe you should diagnose each vehicle on an individual basis - Regardless of BMW guide/valve stem history.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Wait... What?

I'm sure he's talking diesel (oil) fuel - he's playing.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
I thought a diesel would get better mileage then 8.
My right foot is my limitation.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Trying to figure out how a SIB dated 1985 is relevant to today's manufacturing techniques and automotive fluids.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Trying to figure out how a SIB dated 1985 is relevant to today's manufacturing techniques and automotive fluids.
Oh God - not you guys I had to go back and bold the fact that this is an updated SIB on another forum.

This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B11 05 84 dated March 1985.

I believe the 13 at the end of SI B11 03 13 stands for the year.

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 08-09-2013 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0