R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Will the new M3/M4 have heat soak limp mode issues?

Will the next M3 be as track worthy as the e9x M3's? I hardly hear about heat soak or limp mode issues with the current M3. e9x M3 seems to be a very good reliable car for the track.

With the new M3/M4 going turbo do you all think the new one will have any heat soak/limp mode issues on the track?

The new M5 seems to have heat soak issues and does not produce its full power on hot days. A new M5 owner here reported major heat soak issues on a hot day loosing to a GTR, but during the evening he was able to beat the same GTR. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873355

Since the M3 is an iconic and flagship car for BMW I just hope BMW gets all the heat exchangers dialed in properly so we do not see these issues. The M3 variant seems to be a very popular car to track among many forums members on here. I can see a lot of owners getting upset that their new $80k M4 going into limp mode after 1-2 laps on the track when their e9x M3 had zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I hope so. If not I want the heat soak limp as an option.

(My intent was to make some of you including the thread starter laugh. No malignant intent.)

(This post was edited by a moderator.)

Last edited by gblansten; 08-06-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
I'm sure BMW have this in consideration while developing and testing. Since the S55 is a development of the N55, they have years of data and experience with that motors relation to performance and heat soak.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I'm sure BMW have this in consideration while developing and testing. Since the S55 is a development of the N55, they have years of data and experience with that motors relation to performance and heat soak.
I'd be shocked if this old issue plagues the M3/4. They aren't going to want the car to have this problem and get bad press when it rolls out.

(I hope this post isn't deleted.)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I totally agree. Even if problems were encountered during the past, people learn from those issues. I feel that BMW is getting better and better with turbo charging and I don't think heat soak will be an issue. Have faith, M has this under control.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I totally agree. Even if problems were encountered during the past, people learn from those issues. I feel that BMW is getting better and better with turbo charging and I don't think heat soak will be an issue. Have faith, M has this under control.
The C63 also has this problem with going into limp mode on the track. It's not just a turbo issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
The C63 also has this problem with going into limp mode on the track. It's not just a turbo issue.
Interesting. I never knew that. AMG is definitely a quality product, but I never heard of that, so thanks for sharing. That's why I love bimmerpost!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Interesting. I never knew that. AMG is definitely a quality product, but I never heard of that, so thanks for sharing. That's why I love bimmerpost!
Yup. So, they solved this with a recent software update, I believe. And, the C63 Black Series doesn't have this problem out of the factory. Neither does the 2014 C63 "507 Edition".

The 2013+ GT-R also doesn't have this problem anymore, if I'm not mistaken.

But yes, they all had this problem at some point.

I strongly suspect BMW will have the new M4 tuned right to avoid having these problems. As RingMeister01 noted, they've been running turbo engines for a while now, and have a ton of data to work with. Granted, that doesn't mean you'll never end up in limp mode. Lap after lap at Willow Springs may end up with your car going into limp mode, but that's probably no fault of the car, and more so that of weather conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Two of my track buddies run 1Ms. Both mentionned never ecountering limp mode issues. However, both of them say their cars do suffer from heat soak, where they feel thay are significantly down on power on hot days. I can attest to this, since on cooler days I have to work harder to pass them on the straights, however on hotter days, I easily zoom by.

Hopefullly the ///M engineers will figure out proper heat management and the new M3/M4 will not lose too much power on hot days.
Appreciate 0