BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Augusto Farfus Claims Podium Finish at DTM Moscow for BMW

08-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb Augusto Farfus Claims Podium Finish at DTM Moscow for BMW

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Augusto Farfus Claims Podium Finish at DTM Moscow for BMW
COMMENTS
Name:  P90130887-highRes.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  209.5 KB

BMW Team RBM’s Augusto Farfus claims podium finish at DTM debut in Moscow.

Moscow (RU), 4th August 2013.
BMW Team RBM’s Augusto Farfus (BR) finished third as the DTM made its debut at the “Moscow Raceway” to claim BMW Motorsport’s first podium finish since the race in Spielberg (AT). Farfus started from third in the Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM and successfully defended this position over the final few laps, fending off the attention of Adrien Tambay (FR, Audi), who was on far fresher tyres. The podium was the fifth of Farfus’ DTM career and marked the seventh time a BMW driver had been on the podium in the 2013 season. Victory went to Audi driver Mike Rockenfeller (DE).

Joey Hand (US) also put on an impressive display in his BMW M3 DTM, fighting back from 15th on the grid to come home seventh. Therefore, both BMW Team RBM drivers finished in the points. Eighth went to Dirk Werner (DE) in the SAMSUNG BMW M3 DTM. The sixth race of the season was less successful for Bruno Spengler (CA), Werner’s team-mate at BMW Team Schnitzer. Starting from fourth, the defending champion’s BMW Bank M3 DTM was hit in the rear by Miguel Molina (ES, Audi) at the start of the third lap. The resulting spin saw Spengler drop to the back of the field. He was able to complete the race, but could do no better than 19th and leaves a DTM weekend empty-handed for the first time since the fourth race of the 2012 season in Spielberg.

It was also a disappointing afternoon for Marco Wittmann (DE, Ice-Watch BMW M3 DTM) in 14th, Timo Glock (DE, DEUTSCHE POST BMW M3 DTM) in 15th, Martin Tomczyk (DE, BMW M Performance Parts M3 DTM) in 16th and Andy Priaulx (GB, Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M3 DTM) in 19th.

Rockenfeller continues to lead the Drivers’ Championship after his victory in Moscow. He now has 94 points to his name, 27 more than Spengler. Farfus moved into fifth on 48 points. In the Manufacturers’ Championship, BMW was able to defend its lead and now has 217 points.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):

“We are happy to be back on the podium after the last two difficult races. Furthermore, we had another two BMW M3 DTMs in the top ten. It was a great race from Augusto Farfus. Joey Hand and Dirk Werner were also in very good form. In contrast, Bruno Spengler’s race was over before it really got started after the collision with Miguel Molina, which was no fault of Bruno’s. That is a real shame. We hope this incident will not have a bigger impact on the Drivers’ Championship over the course of the season and will be looking to make up ground in the next race at the Nürburgring. Congratulations to Rocky and Audi on their deserved victory. Congratulations also to the organisers, who put on a very successful event in front of packed grandstands and 45,000 thrilled Russian fans. We felt very much at home here and would be more than happy to return.”

Name:  P90130861-highRes.jpg
Views: 3542
Size:  389.7 KB

Bart Mampaey (Team Principal, BMW Team RBM):

“It was a good race here in Moscow for BMW Team RBM. We made the most of the situation with Augusto Farfus. He was under great pressure, but his pace was very good. Joey Hand also put in a fantastic performance. The team also contributed with four good pit stops, so we can be happy with our debut in Russia. We must now work hard to ensure we are right up there at the front again next time.”

Charly Lamm (Team Principal, BMW Team Schnitzer):

“We certainly expected more here. A tricky start was followed by the collision between Bruno Spengler and Miguel Molina. Bruno was thrown well back down the field. And in such a close series as the DTM, there is not a lot you can do after that – particularly as he was fighting a lost cause as a result of the damage sustained to the rear of his chassis. Dirk Werner initially lost places in the chaotic start, but was still able to score valuable points. We are very pleased about that after the difficult races we have had recently. Our team completed the two fastest pit stops. Compliments to the team for that.”

Ernest Knoors (Team Principal, BMW Team MTEK):

“I am happy BMW Team RBM was able to fly the flag for BMW today with Augusto Farfus’ podium. We did not have the luck we would have needed to make up ground from our grid positions towards the back of the field. The pace was definitely there, but it is very difficult if you are starting a race from the back.”

Stefan Reinhold (Team Principal, BMW Team RMG):

“That was not an easy weekend. It is good to see Augusto Farfus on the podium. I feel sorry for Bruno Spengler, but we are all too familiar with crashes this season. For Martin Tomczyk and Andy Priaulx, qualifying was the crucial factor that prevented them from finishing higher up the field in the race. We will move on from the race here in Russia and concentrate on our home race at the Nürburgring.”

Name:  P90130862-highRes.jpg
Views: 4599
Size:  163.1 KB

Augusto Farfus (car number 7, BMW Team RBM, 3rd):

Tyres: Option-Standard-Standard

“It is great to be back on the podium. This third place feels like a victory because I couldn't have done any better. There was no margin for error and I had to push the entire race. We, as BMW, were not extremely competitive here today, which made it a tough Sunday. My two stops were great and I feel the last stint on primes was the best for me. I enjoyed the circuit, and had a positive debut in Moscow.”

Joey Hand (car number 8, BMW Team RBM, 7th):

Tyres: Standard-Option-Standard

“I am more than happy with the way the race panned out. We put on a good show for the fans. The car’s performance was very good. I fought hard, made up eight places and ultimately finished in the points for the fourth time this season. Therefore, I am very happy. Congratulations to Augusto Farfus on his third place. Generally speaking, BMW Team RBM did another fantastic job.”

Dirk Werner (car number 2, BMW Team Schnitzer, 8th):

“The four points are nice, but it could have been better. My start was really bad and I think that was what cost me the race. I was stuck in the middle of the field and couldn't use my tyres in the beginning the way I wanted to. I think eighth was about the best we could get out of the race after the start.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 21, BMW Team MTEK, 15th):

Tyres: Standard-Option- Standard

“The race was relatively ok for me. However, it was clear from the outset that it was going to be difficult from 20th on the grid. My race was over anyway after the stop-and-go penalty for disregarding the blue flag. I feel the penalties were handed out quite unfairly today. Unfortunately we can do nothing about that. It was a shame, as my car felt much better than it did in qualifying. We can build on that.”

Name:  P90130863-highRes.jpg
Views: 3650
Size:  179.4 KB

Timo Glock (car number 22, BMW Team MTEK, 16th):

“My race was miserable. I did get off to a very good start, but the clutch then slipped severely. I then got stuck in traffic for a long time on my first stint. It did not get much better after the second pit stop. We just did not have the pace we needed, and will now have to analyse exactly why our car was not as quick as we had hoped. We want to produce a better performance again at the Nürburgring.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 15, BMW Team RMG, 17th):

“It was an unspectacular race for me. It was obviously fun at the beginning, when the option tyres allowed me to make up some positions. That was good while it lasted, but it soon became clear I could not match the pace of the others. We stuck with our strategy and, with more speed, would definitely have moved up a few places. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way. At least I finished a race – but that is really very little consolation.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 1, BMW Team Schnitzer, 19th):

“As early as the second lap, Miguel Molina hit me and my car spun. That damaged my car and really made it undriveable. Because of this, at no point in the race did I have the pace to go on the attack. All I could do was continue to the end. It was a disappointing weekend and for me anything but a successful debut in Russia.”

Andy Priaulx (car number 16, BMW Team RMG, 20th):

“I had no radio communication at all for the entire race, so it made it very difficult to know what your pace is, where you are, how other things are working out and who you are racing. It threw me a bit. To finish 19th is not ideal, but that is the way it is. As for the car, balance-wise there was a bit too much oversteer, but I just didn't have enough pace.”

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 10.02.53 AM.jpg
Views: 3635
Size:  252.6 KB

Name:  P90130872-highRes.jpg
Views: 3474
Size:  176.8 KB

Name:  P90130878-highRes.jpg
Views: 3382
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  P90130879-highRes.jpg
Views: 3403
Size:  169.0 KB

Name:  P90130881-highRes.jpg
Views: 3432
Size:  190.7 KB

Name:  P90130887-highRes.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  209.5 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

A big shame that Spengler lost that much points...

I don't think it was just Molina... In the first lap his car was already not driving the pace of the others...
      08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

BMW's performance is edging away from them... the last few races haven't been great for us.

Farfus did well, there was nothing Spengler could have done after the spin, but with a driver line-up like ours there's no excuse for not picking up more points.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Nazarin
Rep
Drives: E90 - 2009 330

So unlucky Spengler, so sorry for you, but i'm sure at Nürburgring it will be a good race for you.

Nice race Augusto, you we in top of this race, you diserve this place, keep it going
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Congrats to Farfus
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^+1 very cool

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
congrats
      08-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

It was sad to see Spengler knocked out of any meaningful points from 4th. Overall, at least one of the BMW's was able to make it to the podium.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Damn Molina.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0