E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need Help!!! Engine Problem After Valve Cover Replacement

07-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
DragON_E90
Rep
Drives: 325i - Alpine White

Need Help!!! Engine Problem After Valve Cover Replacement

Hi Guys,

I just replace my valve cover gasket and follow the instruction from Bentley Manual.

When i was finished i tried to start the car and it won't start for the first time. So i tried to crank it again and it wont. What i did is adjust the valvetronic motor turn it clockwise until resistance while battery is disconnected. After that i waited 30 mins and reconnect the battery. The engine started but it is shaking really bad. I turn off the engine and inspect the ignition coils and i noticed that i forgot to connect the negative terminal for the ignition coil pack for cylinder 5&6 .

Now the car start for the first time but it is still shaking. Now i got a OBD error P0300, P0305 & P0306 ( misfire coded on cylinder 5 & 6) So inspect the coil pack again and found out that Cylinder #6 coilpack exploded and leak fluid with a bad smell. So I went and buy new coil pack and replaced it. disconnected battery for 30 mins. Clear the codes. I started the car again and it is still shaking and give me the same error code. So i inspected the coil pack and found out that the new coil pack on cylinder #6 exploded again.

I tried to switch cylinder #5 and Cylinder #1 coilpack to make sure that it is bad. But the error code was still the same. The error did not move to cylinder#1.

Please help me out

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragON_E90 View Post
Hi Guys,

I just replace my valve cover gasket and follow the instruction from Bentley Manual.

When i was finished i tried to start the car and it won't start for the first time. So i tried to crank it again and it wont. What i did is adjust the valvetronic motor turn it clockwise until resistance while battery is disconnected. After that i waited 30 mins and reconnect the battery. The engine started but it is shaking really bad. I turn off the engine and inspect the ignition coils and i noticed that i forgot to connect the negative terminal for the ignition coil pack for cylinder 5&6 .

Now the car start for the first time but it is still shaking. Now i got a OBD error P0300, P0305 & P0306 ( misfire coded on cylinder 5 & 6) So inspect the coil pack again and found out that Cylinder #6 coilpack exploded and leak fluid with a bad smell. So I went and buy new coil pack and replaced it. disconnected battery for 30 mins. Clear the codes. I started the car again and it is still shaking and give me the same error code. So i inspected the coil pack and found out that the new coil pack on cylinder #6 exploded again.

I tried to switch cylinder #5 and Cylinder #1 coilpack to make sure that it is bad. But the error code was still the same. The error did not move to cylinder#1.

Please help me out

Thanks
It sounds like to me the plug in cylinder #6 is bad, or the coil is shorting and overheating.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
DragON_E90
Rep
Drives: 325i - Alpine White

I already check the wiring going to coilpack #5 & #6 and it looks ok and no damage.

I already tried changing/ swapping sparkplug & coilpack from other cylinder. Then i tried disconnecting connectors to the coil packs while the engine is running the #5 dont have any respond to the idle. But the rest of #1, #2, #3, #4 you can feel the difference while its disconnected. By the way for got to tell you since i don't have a coilpack for #6 so i left #6 disconnected while i am running my trial & error.

I don't know if the disconnecting #6 will affect the #5.

I can not think of anymore test.

Please advise.

Thanks
Appreciate 0