E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > EGR Cleaner and Additives

07-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

EGR Cleaner and Additives

Check this out amigos found it in YOUTUBE:

Heres the response for the XFT

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

BTW here's their website:

http://www.syntekglobal.com/company.html

Sounds fishy to me
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Scam.com has a nice thread going about Extreme
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Socom I went into that site cant seem to find any info on it please gives a link on it ok!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Socom I went into that site cant seem to find any info on it please gives a link on it ok!!
Google sir!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Found it here it is!!

http://scam.com/showthread.php?t=127...fuel+treatment
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

anyone else used this product?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I dont usually post but for $4 its super fishy to me, and while I'm here I might as well introduce myself. I've been eyeing the forums for about the same time I got my 335d just dont post. I like to view. The EGR cleaner seems like a good product I'm tempted. As for the additive as soon as I saw the price I say no. If you want to talk about additives look for ones with a high lubricity. I personally use diesel kleen and will be switching to opt lube xpd. The point of the additives for me is not performance but longevity. To make our cars last an eternity the wear on the engine components has to be very, very low. The wear scar of I recall was best rated at 450 microns was it and down for the best results. Optilube brings it down to I think 317 then biodiesel at 221. The reason as many should know is ULSD in the USA sucks for any form of diesels. No lube means lots of damage in the long run we have a dry fuel. So additives are used personally I used diesel kleen because it was cheap but id figured spending more couldn't hurt until I start my biodiesel plants. Gotta save that $$$$ haha. I'm sure many have read around about the different additives but go for the good stuff and you won't regret it.

Edits; http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...anadyne-3.html

Last edited by Nushibo; 07-19-2013 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Some facts for ya over at power stroke, should apply to us too
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

gracias and welkome
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Thanks ill be around in the forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

what is the point of the XFT though? 99% of our problems are between the EGR and the valves, this XFT treatment wouldnt do jack in that area since there is no fuel in there. The valvoline stuff might work, especially if its as good as it looked in that video, but you would still need to full the manifold all apart and go through the exact same process as a walnut blasting, plus it would probably take 20 cans to complete the job.

When I had mine apart, high pressure water (hose turned up with thumb over hole) did the same thing at the cost of only pennies, though IMO that valvoline stuff ought to work better once the larger chunks are blasted out. I would be inclined to trust Valvoline since they are such a big MFG and their base of products isnt a whole selection of snake oils, but Im more inclined to build my own walnut blasting machine (can be done for ~$200-$300 based on some mini forum threads) if I already have to break the engine apart anyway. Oh and the other issue being that this EGR + Turbo cleaner isnt available in the US from what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hooper I put this up as information for eveyone to know and if ANYONE had used this products to give us feedback
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
acewiza
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

You have to consider the entire combustion cycle from the fuel filler cap to the exhaust pipe. The carbon build up is coming from EGR. If a fuel additive can improve injection and combustion efficiency it will reduce (to at least some minimal extent), the amount of particulate coming back through EGR. Worn injectors and HPFPs' will reduce overall combustion efficiency over time. They can be helped by lubricity-enhancing fuel additives. Other factors may affect it as well - tuning, electronic engine controls and their associated sensors, environmental conditions. Even an air filter overdue for changing or impaired by some environmental affect can greatly impact combustion efficiency.

The point is they all make more soot flowing back through EGR.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
You have to consider the entire combustion cycle from the fuel filler cap to the exhaust pipe. The carbon build up is coming from EGR. If a fuel additive can improve injection and combustion efficiency it will reduce (to at least some minimal extent), the amount of particulate coming back through EGR. Worn injectors and HPFPs' will reduce overall combustion efficiency over time. They can be helped by lubricity-enhancing fuel additives. Other factors may affect it as well - tuning, electronic engine controls and their associated sensors, environmental conditions. Even an air filter overdue for changing or impaired by some environmental affect can greatly impact combustion efficiency.

The point is they all make more soot flowing back through EGR.
Don't forget worn tires and excessive flatus from farm animals....

EGR has been with us for a long time. Not so carbon buildup. It may have nothing to do with EGR. You may be mixing up the types of accumulation, such as carbon buildup on valves with intake manifold oiling. It is likely that direct injection itself is to blame and there are threads that explain how Toyota has redesigned a hybrid injection (both direct and indirect components, the indirect may "wash" the intake valves with fuel) that may fix this problem.

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post

EGR has been with us for a long time. Not so carbon buildup. It may have nothing to do with EGR. You may be mixing up the types of accumulation, such as carbon buildup on valves with intake manifold oiling. It is likely that direct injection itself is to blame and there are threads that explain how Toyota has redesigned a hybrid injection (both direct and indirect components, the indirect may "wash" the intake valves with fuel) that may fix this problem.

PL
IIRC you can't wash with diesel though. Part of the "problem" is head design. Buildup at the intake ports is what the dealerships are talking about. This would make sense to me because I've never seen an EGR valve which was really loaded with soot or an intake for that matter. If you do a Google search you'll find a ton of pre-ULSD VW intakes and /or EGR which are almost entirely blocked by soot.

What would be interesting is if European models were having this problem and whether BMW redesigned the head for US models (I bet the didn't) .
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

The typical injection design with injector outside cylinder wouldn't fix our problem anyway unless you injected an auxiliary injection with cleaners at the EGR/throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
acewiza
Banned
Rep

Quote:
EGR has been with us for a long time. Not so carbon buildup.
Not in U.S. diesels. Maybe you should define "long time" in your terms. In the U.S. it's been about 6 years. You also seem to miss the point about EGR as it relates to combustion efficiency. The EGR valve is just a conduit. There is a potentially huge amount more stuff coming through it in a diesel, for whatever reason. Gasser, not so much.
Quote:
My memory for snarky comments with incoherent content serves well.

Last edited by acewiza; 07-23-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not in U.S. diesels. Maybe you should define "long time" in your terms. In the U.S. it's been about 6 years. You also seem to miss the point about EGR as it relates to combustion efficiency. The EGR valve is just a conduit. There is a potentially huge amount more stuff coming through it in a diesel, for whatever reason. Gasser, not so much.

My memory for snarky comments with incoherent content serves well.
Yeah, right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust...lation#History

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
that article is somewhat unclear so just to add to it, the E300 had an EGR in their turbo-diesels released in 1998, so theyve been around at least 15 years in the US on cars...longer on heavy duty applications

I wonder if someone with a 335D has been on that wiki page updating the soot+oil intake fouling or which other diesels have the same issue we have since whoever updated the page definitely shares our carbon buildup pain
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think the soot and oil buildup is the same as the carbon buildup we are seeing on the valves with direct injection, but could be wrong. Cleanup of one is different than the other, as the oily intake manifold is not the same as the head and valves.

If it is just a matter of burning fuel more efficiently, which the pollution control regulations don't help with, then the trend may have tipped toward now covering the valves rather than just the exhaust intake ports.

The 335d also seems to have some narrow intake ports with the complex twin turbo design, so I don't really know.

But the latest diesel engines seem capable of good efficiency and EGR has been around since at least WW2 (I have a catch can from that era ready to be used if possible from an old turbo prop design, new old stock), the differences may be something like direct injection or something else specific. Likely culprits are pollution controls, direct injection, new fuel additives, that sort of thing. Things that have changed since the old days when carbon buildup was less common or unheard of in gasoline engines.

To start saying that everything that has anything to do with an engine has something to do with it is a bit too much and is a non-solution to this problem.

My 2c

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
acewiza
Banned
Rep

Current U.S. EPA highway diesel nox standards took effect for model year 2007. There certainly were a few cars and manufacturers experimenting with EGR on diesels (due to previously existing euro standards) before then, but it was not an implied mandate, nor was it widely implemented on diesels made for the U.S. market including light duty pickups in the U.S. until 2007.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Current U.S. EPA highway diesel nox standards took effect for model year 2007. There certainly were a few cars and manufacturers experimenting with EGR on diesels (due to previously existing euro standards) before then, but it was not an implied mandate, nor was it widely implemented on diesels made for the U.S. market including light duty pickups in the U.S. until 2007.
More non-truths.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/e...ogging-TDI.htm

PL
Appreciate 0