E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Tools!

07-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

Tools!

So I want to start off saying I am not mechanically inclined at all. I mean I'm smart and good with my hands, but I have never really tried any kind of repair or maintenance stuff on my car.

I plan on doing as many DIY jobs as I can when the times comes. I am learning more and more about cars and my car specifically, so when the times come to do a job (brakes, oil change, spark plugs, etc) I want to be able to do these jobs myself.

I decided to go to Walmart and buy a bunch of tools that would probably come in handy. This is the first time I have ever owned a singe tool lol. I also bought rhino ramps. I am looking forward to learning and working on my car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

I know I didn't get the highest quality stuff here, but tool box, rhino ramps, and a ton of tools for 140 bucks is pretty good I would say!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

You'll need a torx and e-torx set if you don't have one already. I have a craftsman set that was $100
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
You'll need a torx and e-torx set if you don't have one already. I have a craftsman set that was $100
+1. Too many torx in BMW cars.

It's good to see people taking care of their own cars. Someday dealers will get the hint and start charging down to earth rates...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You need a ratchet and sockets and a torx set. You also need a torque wrench. Buy the needle one from Sears, it doesn't break the bank and gets the job done with more confidence than the low-end "clic" type which are unreliable.

You also want to put some money in a ratchet, even if you are on a budget.

You'll see for yourself why the walmart stuff is cheap. I'll let you discover why low price doesn't always equate value
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
You need a ratchet and sockets and a torx set. You also need a torque wrench. Buy the needle one from Sears, it doesn't break the bank and gets the job done with more confidence than the low-end "clic" type which are unreliable.

You'll see for yourself why the walmart stuff is cheap. I'll let you discover why low price doesn't always equate value
yes a good ratchet is worth the money. I bought a nice one at Lowe's with a flexible head and longer handle for more leverage. Great tool.

OP, if you go at DIY in earnest you will eventually find there will be socket sizes and shapes (such as the torx mentioned) that aren't in a standard kit. Doesn't hurt to start with what you bought.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

Im sure i will buy more tools. I just wanted to get all the basics. Rhino stand, tool box and a ton of tools for 140 bucks. I am not going to be using them kften, just on my own car so i figured lower quality tools would be fine in my case. Im not gonne be using them all that often
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post

I bought two racket and socket sets. What kind of torx set do I need?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

I'm pretty sure I have a torx set. 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm hex and star it says. I will go buy a torque wrench tomorrow and I guess I will be set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Just a tip...NEVER let your friends borrow your tools. I let them borrow a torx kit and they lost half the pieces. Just don't ever...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Get one of these (Always on sale for $99 and LIFETIME warranty; don't need a receipt) http://www.sears.com/craftsman-99-pi...a=00935829000P

Also if you go under your car use jack stands and leave the jack underneath. Better safe than sorry. I never used rhinos so I have no input on that. Also, keep in mind our cars are rear drive therefore if you lift from the rear you must chock the front wheels.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

If you're shopping for sockets I prefer six point to twelve point. but I work mostly on cars older than I am so that hopefully is less of a concern on a E9x. But if you end up having to e.g. remove an exhaust or something you will appreciate the six point - less chance of rounding off a bolt head or nut.

I've been fairly impressed with the Kobalt brand tools sold at Lowe's. They feel as nice in the hand as the Craftsman professional series but are priced about the same as the regular Craftsman.

If you don't have them already you will also need some metric Allen wrenches or socket drivers, for example anything you do on the engine requires removing the plastic cover and those are Allen head cap screws holding it on.

You will likely want some assorted extensions and universal joints for your socket set if it didn't come with them. A 1/4" hand driver is especially handy. I have one with a 1/4" recess in the handle so it doubles as an extension (double handy.)

You may also want to pick up a spark plug socket (it's specific to N54/55) and an oil filter cap tool (specific to BMW and possibly other euro cars) if you are going to be doing basic maintenance yourself.

A good tire pressure gauge is nice to have as well as the TPMS is useless for keeping your tire pressures correct, it's only good for letting you know when one is really low (about 25% low, you don't want to let them get that low.) I use Longacre just because that's what my local speed shop has in stock and they're good, but there's other good brands out there.

You probably also want to have some anti-seize on hand for the hub flanges if you do your own tire changes; also it is good to have a wire brush or two to clean up the hubs (either hand or drill operated) and some Brakleen on hand, plus an old baking tray to keep from messing up your driveway and a little magnetic parts dish to hold the hardware you take off. And a good small flashlight is always handy.

If I think of anything else I'll post it up but that should get you started...

Last edited by N8N; 07-16-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
OP, good suggestions on ramp / jack stand safety. When I'm using my trolley jack, I ask myself "what will happen to me if this jack fails right now?". Always think safety first.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Next time go hit up garage sales and find better quality tools for cheaper. I've found plenty of Snap-On, Blue Point, and other high end tools for super cheap. You'll spend the same price (or less), but have stuff that won't break on you.

Worst case, you can always find plenty of Craftsman stuff too.

I've had a few finds that I got for under $50 that would have cost me more than $500 at a retail store.

Also, don't cheap out on safety items. Jack stands are one of the most valuable tools I own. I never skimp on them, but they're cheap anyways. It's worth it to me to spend an extra $20 on something I'm trusting with my life.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero
Next time go hit up garage sales and find better quality tools for cheaper. I've found plenty of Snap-On, Blue Point, and other high end tools for super cheap. You'll spend the same price (or less), but have stuff that won't break on you.

Worst case, you can always find plenty of Craftsman stuff too.

I've had a few finds that I got for under $50 that would have cost me more than $500 at a retail store.

Also, don't cheap out on safety items. Jack stands are one of the most valuable tools I own. I never skimp on them, but they're cheap anyways. It's worth it to me to spend an extra $20 on something I'm trusting with my life.
where do you live? I dream of yard sales with snap on tools but never find them
Appreciate 0