E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Shorted Crank case Ventilation Heater

07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Bash328I
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Monaco Blue

Unhappy Shorted Crank case Ventilation Heater

A week ago i got a SES light and took it to get checked out.

They said my Crank case ventilation Heater has shorted and was replaced.
Fault codes:-2C9C,2C9D,2C9E,2C9F
Below is what the technician Did ..most of it is his diagnosis, but i thought some one would help from it so typing the whole thing..
--
Checked for power to O2sensors -0V fuse 38 was blown -replaced
Started car and fuse blew again, SAme faults found.
Disconnected O2 sensor,started vehicle fuse blew again
no shorts between Harness of upper O2 sensors and DME.
No faults in wiring between junction Box and DME.
No faults in Harness between DME and Crank case Heater.
Crank Case Ventilation Heater was shorted.
Replaced crank case ventilation heater.

I havent got much information about this problem in the forums..may be i am not searching right..the question i have is..is this a common problem.

I typically drive less than 4 miles a day in city traffic and i live in IOWA where the weather is very cold during winter.

i have read that if you make very short trips in winter then on a next long trip you may run into the OIL valve failing problem because of moisture build up "Normally it will happen on a highway trip after lots of short trips in cold weather, due to the built up condensation in the oil boiling off as steam when the engine gets hot, causing icing of the crankcase ventilation system. The best safeguard against this problem is to avoid a lot of short trips when the weather is cold."
could this have shorted my heater..since i got this code after making a 300 mile trip and starting the car the next day.
Appreciate 0