E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to top off transmission fluid?

07-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

How to top off transmission fluid?

I know the fill plug and drain plug is under the car. But is there a tank or something under the hood where I can top off the tranny fluid, or is the only going under the car and opening the fill hole?

Reason why I ask is cause is just a long process to go under the car and messy.

Thanks in advance.
      07-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I think under the car is the only way, just fill through the fill hole until it starts to drain out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
I know the fill plug and drain plug is under the car. But is there a tank or something under the hood where I can top off the tranny fluid, or is the only going under the car and opening the fill hole?

Thanks in advance.
There is no way to top off. Best ti leave alone unless it's leaking because you have to get underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok thanks, just a maintenance I use to do on my old Japanese cars and figure to do it for my 335i. But after some reading, there's actually no need for this.
      07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The only way to do this is from under the car. If you open the fill hole without the engine running, expect a quart or more of transmission fluid to come gushing out.
The only correct way to do this is to have the car running, the transmission fluid around 100degrees F and make sure the car is level. You can then open the fill hole and use a transfer pump to pump fluid into the transmission until it starts seeping back out of the fill hole.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Dude, if you know the fill hole and drain hole are under the car (on the transmission) why in God's name would you think there would be a tank somewhere under the hood in the engine compartment? If the fill hole is on the transmission (almost one of the lowest components in the car), how could you fill the transmission tank (if there was one) from a fill hole that would be lower than the tank (if there was one) under the hood? Google "Sir Isaac Newton"...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude, if you know the fill hole and drain hole are under the car (on the transmission) why in God's name would you think there would be a tank somewhere under the hood in the engine compartment? If the fill hole is on the transmission (almost one of the lowest components in the car), how could you fill the transmission tank (if there was one) from a fill hole that would be lower than the tank (if there was one) under the hood? Google "Sir Isaac Newton"...
I came here asking for some answers. Sorry if I sounded dumb, didn't know this forum had trolls.

Last edited by brandonroy; 07-12-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I came here asking for a some answer. Sorry if I sounded dumb, didn't know this forum had trolls.
Kind of sucks but with such a big forum that has members from all over the world people will trash talk anyone just to trash talk

I am part of a small site for another car forum and its great, everyone is very helpful and it runs great. Of course there are a few bad apples but that with any forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Kind of sucks but with such a big forum that has members from all over the world people will trash talk anyone just to trash talk

I am part of a small site for another car forum and its great, everyone is very helpful and it runs great. Of course there are a few bad apples but that with any forum.
Agree, but is funny reading comments from these tools. Clearly shows they have no reality life and vent their frustration online.
      07-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree, but is funny reading comments from these tools. Clearly shows they have no reality life and vent their frustration online.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I have helped way more people on this forum than probably almost any other member. I have the most experience mileage-wise with the E90 and was doing repairs to the E90 before the Bentley manual came out and posted my experience here hundreds of times.

My comment to you was to make you think and apply logic to your problems. If you want to work on your car, then learn some basic mechanics understanding and a few laws of Physics such as Gravity (all mechanics are based on the principles of physics). The point being you can't fill a cavity from the lowest point of it using a gravity fed process.

If you want to go through life depending on other people to answer your questions for you before you have thoroughly thought them through then you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

Had you taken the time to read the owner's manual section on what is under the hood, you would have found that there is no "tank" that holds transmission fluid. Additionally, you never mentioned whether the car has a manual or automatic transmission, which might have helped other forum members better answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I have helped way more people on this forum than probably almost any other member. I have the most experience mileage-wise with the E90 and was doing repairs to the E90 before the Bentley manual came out and posted my experience here hundreds of times.

My comment to you was to make you think and apply logic to your problems. If you want to work on your car, then learn some basic mechanics understanding and a few laws of Physics such as Gravity (all mechanics are based on the principles of physics). The point being you can't fill a cavity from the lowest point of it using a gravity fed process.

If you want to go through life depending on other people to answer your questions for you before you have thoroughly thought them through then you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

Had you taken the time to read the owner's manual section on what is under the hood, you would have found that there is no "tank" that holds transmission fluid. Additionally, you never mentioned whether the car has a manual or automatic transmission, which might have helped other forum members better answer your question.
Just for you to reply in such detail is a lol moment

It's not that big of a deal he asked the question in the first place

But I am sure you will have to have the last word so I look forward to your next post !
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well we have fill caps for many other fluids under the hood wheres the components are under it, on my old Subaru there was a fill hole under the hole for the tranny fluid. But I guess.......
Attached Images

07-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Just for you to reply in such detail is a lol moment

It's not that big of a deal he asked the question in the first place

But I am sure you will have to have the last word so I look forward to your next post !
Yeah, you will. His question was totally stupid. He knows nothing about cars; nothing. Call me a troll all you want. He shouldn't be allowed under the hood; and he is the typical demographic BMW is now aiming for: "Oh, my car is low on oil, I should take it to the dealer so they can get the light to go off; I hate lights...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-12-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well we have fill caps for many other fluids under the hood wheres the components are under it, on my old Subaru there was a fill hole under the hole for the tranny fluid. But I guess.......
Let's be specific "Fill caps" for:

1) Engine oil
2) Coolant
3) Washer fluid
4) Power steering fluid (maybe you should get an F30; they eliminated this one)
and....
5) "oooh, where's the brake fluid go?" (next to the blinker fluid I think!)

OMG!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

lol agreed. If there's no ATF dipstick tube, where exactly would you hope to fill the trans up aside from the actual FILL HOLE!?!

You wanna talk about trolls, let's start with the existance of this thread to begin with. A simple search first would have yielded multiple DIY articles on this site with pics and directions; which is why this is a pointless thread to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #16
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you will. His question was totally stupid. He knows nothing about cars; nothing. Call me a troll all you want. He shouldn't be allowed under the hood; and he is the typical demographic BMW is now aiming for: "Oh, my car is low on oil, I should take it to the dealer so they can get the light to go off; I hate lights...
And your point is? Ummm... I still own the car... and I can still post these questions...

Why do you have to be
While I'm just
      07-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #17
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
lol agreed. If there's no ATF dipstick tube, where exactly would you hope to fill the trans up aside from the actual FILL HOLE!?!

You wanna talk about trolls, let's start with the existance of this thread to begin with. A simple search first would have yielded multiple DIY articles on this site with pics and directions; which is why this is a pointless thread to begin with.
Cool story bro.
      07-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Brandondroy, seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick here, so don't take it that way; but if you are serious about performing the maintenance and service on your car you need to better educate yourself. It's great that you are taking interest in the health of your 335i, but from your question it is apparent that your knowledge of cars is not at a level that it needs to be to actually perform the maintenance tasks required.

I sincerely suggest that you buy the Bentley service manual for the E9X. It has excellent sections on explaining how the various systems of the car operate, and is written at a technical level that a novice can understand. It is the best resource that you can get to better understand your particular car and cars in general.

Good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #19
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Brandondroy, seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick here, so don't take it that way; but if you are serious about performing the maintenance and service on your car you need to better educate yourself. It's great that you are taking interest in the health of your 335i, but from your question it is apparent that your knowledge of cars is not at a level that it needs to be to actually perform the maintenance tasks required.

I sincerely suggest that you buy the Bentley service manual for the E9X. It has excellent sections on explaining how the various systems of the car operate, and is written at a technical level that a novice can understand. It is the best resource that you can get to better understand your particular car and cars in general.

Good luck to you.
Thank you for the advice, we all need to live in a harmonious peaceful way and enjoy life.
      07-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
The only way to do this is from under the car. If you open the fill hole without the engine running, expect a quart or more of transmission fluid to come gushing out.
The only correct way to do this is to have the car running, the transmission fluid around 100degrees F and make sure the car is level. You can then open the fill hole and use a transfer pump to pump fluid into the transmission until it starts seeping back out of the fill hole.
+1 Check fill level from fill hole with trans warm and car is running.

As for everyone else,
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Can't believe I'm writing this but I feel comfortable recommending the advice of Efthreeoh. He(she)'s put major miles on his car, knows DIY and has written some great stuff on this forum, under this name and another. Very helpful person.
Appreciate 0